Thread of Packaging Excellence

• 2 months later...

I bought a fair amount of individual sets from B&N during the sale.
Either B&N, or UPS, or both must have employees who also are World Cup players as best as I can tell.

Some sets will also be going back because the in-transit holes and openings allowed rain to pool in the box with the lousy job placing them in the plastic bags.
But this box was my favorite:

1424368762_2018-10-1520_41_03.thumb.jpg.707a35cca06be8248662e07bf0d5ee4f.jpg

Hmm, haven't seen this label before. Probably not a good sign.

137281897_2018-10-1520_42_00.thumb.jpg.189890f5a482b054b1a7e6c03d34b4b9.jpg

Ah, yes. Now the label makes sense. The wall of packing tape on the side about matches the side itself.

805161101_2018-10-1520_44_29.thumb.jpg.86a2d5191872378205f6e132be70aab8.jpg

And the obvious results. The foreground corner is heavily reinforced with packing tape.
Both original seals and mid section have been popped. I'm guessing that's how "SMD" was able to ascertain that "no visible damage was found" and "the contents have been repackaged"? That's what really grinds my gears.
I have to imagine "SMD" checked out the Sealed Bags thread to make sure everything was in there?
No f-ing way man. This will be going back along with its water damaged brethren.

First world problems, just annoying with the lack of care.

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 2:12 PM, TabbyBoy said:

I have just swapped a 10240 Red 5 X-Wing for one of these, brand new from my "warehouse buddy" and I've been playing with it all afternoon. Forget LEGO, this is a "proper" toy and it's fantastic! I'll save me a lot of space and a lot of time! More importantly, the bags are light enough that most of my shipments are now just under the dreaded 2KG threshold so it'll pay for itseif in lower postage costs within a few weeks...

I bought one of these exact machines 6 months ago. My biggest challenge is having enough proper supplies to package efficiently and properly. This little gem solved that problem. I love it! So now I don't need to be so anal about hoarding used bubble wrap. I make my own. Then I buy a proper supply of various sized boxes from either Amazon prime or Uline. Great tool to own for the serious seller. 

The idea of having the exact size box for every shipment is not realistic and I'm not chopping down boxes to fit the exact box size. This really works well to fill the voids.

• Like 1

I wish I would have taken a photo...

I'm sitting in my driveway the other day, while the kids are outside playing.  Mailman comes up with a package.  It's a small cube, and it's wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper.

I accept it, he leaves, and I open it up.  It's a Master Wu Brickheadz I ordered on eBay.  Wrapped in Christmas paper.

Of course, the box was beat to crap.  It was in mint condition when he sent it.  (At least, that's what the picture shows).

I complained, he gave me a refund, end of story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I wish I would have taken a photo...
I'm sitting in my driveway the other day, while the kids are outside playing.  Mailman comes up with a package.  It's a small cube, and it's wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper.
I accept it, he leaves, and I open it up.  It's a Master Wu Brickheadz I ordered on eBay.  Wrapped in Christmas paper.
Of course, the box was beat to crap.  It was in mint condition when he sent it.  (At least, that's what the picture shows).
I complained, he gave me a refund, end of story.
You've ruined Christmas.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Received a Lego set from Amazon tiday and there's a big dent in the delivery box and the Lego box itself. First time I've had this. 

It's a set I want and will probably open buuuuut I'd like to have the option to sell it on if I don't or get a discount on it.

Anyone know if Amazon are any good for that? I'm wary of asking for a return/refund in case I can't then get it for the same price!

12 minutes ago, Lego Benito said:

Received a Lego set from Amazon tiday and there's a big dent in the delivery box and the Lego box itself. First time I've had this. 

It's a set I want and will probably open buuuuut I'd like to have the option to sell it on if I don't or get a discount on it.

Anyone know if Amazon are any good for that? I'm wary of asking for a return/refund in case I can't then get it for the same price!

Request a replacement and return the damaged one if they have stock

Guest TabbyBoy
20 hours ago, PeaceBD said:

So received my first order of 2 Sydney architecture from Amazon yesterday. It arrived in a padded envelop. Amazingly the boxes where in good shape.c959f4e796e453b5a379c26727061393.jpg

Architecture boxes are quite resilient and I've even had ones with no packing at all (apart from one layer of kraft paper) arrive in perfect condition. If only Speed Champions had these stronger boxes.

Guest TabbyBoy

This is my first damaged box from Amazon UK...

IMG-20181126-WA0000.thumb.jpg.7c1a74db4d10a810b2eb017152596e8d.jpg

... which arrived at my office yesterday while I was out, otherwise I'd have refused delivery. I complained a couple of hours ago and have just been offered a £15 voucher which I accepted. This brings the price down to £44.99 so I may as well build the damn thing, right?

I probably won't order much more as we all know that packing/shipping standards take a nose-dive closer to Xmas..... except for the stuff that I ship out! ?

48 minutes ago, Baragon said:

Anyone having issues with Walmart this week? I have received two orders with oversized boxes, tons of paper, and smashed sets in the bottom. I’m not going to worry about the Creative Boxes, but I am going to exchange the Velociraptor Chase at the store.

My cancellation emails all arrived minty fresh.

Kidding aside, Walmart usually does a pretty good job with shipping.  Target has been OK - a few dinged up sets, mostly the larger items that came in oversized boxes.  Amazon seems to be using sturdier boxes this year so yay for that

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Everything I've received this week has been great. Except for a few Target sets. Are they taking from local inventory instead of a warehouse? Some of the stuff looks like shelf wear, and not packing/delivery wear.

Target will often pull local inventory and ship from a local store if the item is available there.

Everything I've received this week has been great. Except for a few Target sets. Are they taking from local inventory instead of a warehouse? Some of the stuff looks like shelf wear, and not packing/delivery wear.
I'd say everything I've received from Target has been store inventory. In a medium to large box for small sets overstuffed with air pillows. Orders often split up to be fulfilled by different stores. Some sets arriving minty and some with obvious shelf wear. I've exchanged some stuff...returned some ...and kept most. Some will just go to the bay when sold. Best stuff has arrived from Walmart and Amazon.