Thread of Packaging Excellence

First real rainy day here in SoCal and my postal carrier - the one that just tosses packages - tossed my two packages juuuust under the overhang of my porch. On the ground where it was wet, and with plenty of afternoon left for the packages to get soaked.

Luckily, everything inside was safe. I got to it and unpacked it all before the insides were soaked. But the boxes were absolutely soaked.

6af23795ff568191f207dcf7796fdebd.jpg

f4614c1df2f44255ff6d1519e6f74395.jpg

4c5d2c8f97869fc1841912f08ed90829.jpg

549cf26636bf6c9c13c8069df09314fc.jpg

1cc302c187de985771a9af2eecee0c48.jpg

• Sad 1

First real rainy day here in SoCal and my postal carrier - the one that just tosses packages - tossed my two packages juuuust under the overhang of my porch. On the ground where it was wet, and with plenty of afternoon left for the packages to get soaked.

Luckily, everything inside was safe. I got to it and unpacked it all before the insides were soaked. But the boxes were absolutely soaked.

6af23795ff568191f207dcf7796fdebd.jpg

f4614c1df2f44255ff6d1519e6f74395.jpg

4c5d2c8f97869fc1841912f08ed90829.jpg

549cf26636bf6c9c13c8069df09314fc.jpg

1cc302c187de985771a9af2eecee0c48.jpg

Sounds like someone just blew their chances at getting a 75119 for Christmas ....
  • Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Nearly all my Asda deliveries arrived in factory boxes apart from 10717 which were still in great shape. Asda still leads with regards to handing and shipping. Even non-factory box sets are now shipped in the stronger boxes similar to what JLP use. By far my biggest spend in 2 years!

Now we just need the other retailers to drop bin liners unless they want to handle a lot of returns. 

10 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Nearly all my Asda deliveries arrived in factory boxes apart from 10717 which were still in great shape. Asda still leads with regards to handing and shipping. Even non-factory box sets are now shipped in the stronger boxes similar to what JLP use.

None of mine today came in factory boxes, they were using some obnoxious boxes where you have to pull a tab to get it open and that you have to proper batter them to collapse them down properly. No internal packing material either, sets loose in the boxes, plenty of creases. Nothing worth complaining about as I mostly do part outs anyway so I can live with it, but some people here would not have appreciated.

Edited by Rog

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Rog said:

None of mine today came in factory boxes, they were using some obnoxious boxes where you have to pull a tab to get it open and that you have to proper batter them to collapse them down properly. No internal packing material either, sets loose in the boxes, plenty of creases. Nothing worth complaining about as I mostly do part outs anyway so I can live with it, but some people here would not have appreciated.

It seems like distribution centres vary. On the other hand, I've had nothing but smashed trash from Argos and TRU.

I don't mind those boxes as they go straight into our "chomping machine" and shredded netting comes out the other end, great for packing ? Mine had airbags for extra protection too.

It may depend on order size as large orders may be just be left in factory boxes to save time? I did order over 300 sets though ?

Guest TabbyBoy

I did remember saying to the delivery driver when my last Argos delivery arrived... "Tell those cretins in the Argos warehouse that I will crush their skulls if they crush my f***ing boxes again!". From what I saw in those 12 large clear bin liners, not one set was undamaged. Of course, I refused to sign and he had to take the whole lot back. The driver was quite upset, but agreed that Argos' handling was piss poor. I'd already got out the wrong side of my basket that morning when the driver woke me up at 06:15. I'd overloaded on advocaat and sherry the night before!

I've not ordered since (nearly did with the £19.99 Elves sets yesterday), but I hope things have improved now that they're in cahoots with Sainsburys. As soon as I'm satisfied with the long term feedback from you guys, I'll chance it again. If TRU comes back, that's a no-no regardless.

Brickheadz and small Speed Champions boxes are very thin and need more care. Asda and JLP don't seem to have a problem.

11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I did remember saying to the delivery driver when my last Argos delivery arrived... "Tell those cretins in the Argos warehouse that I will crush their skulls if they crush my f***ing boxes again!". From what I saw in those 12 large clear bin liners, not one set was undamaged. Of course, I refused to sign and he had to take the whole lot back. The driver was quite upset, but agreed that Argos' handling was piss poor. I'd already got out the wrong side of my basket that morning when the driver woke me up at 06:15. I'd overloaded on advocaat and sherry the night before!

I've not ordered since (nearly did with the £19.99 Elves sets yesterday), but I hope things have improved now that they're in cahoots with Sainsburys. As soon as I'm satisfied with the long term feedback from you guys, I'll chance it again. If TRU comes back, that's a no-no regardless.

Brickheadz and small Speed Champions boxes are very thin and need more care. Asda and JLP don't seem to have a problem.

My two Elves sets from yesterday were perfect except for the stupid stickers.

The ASDA orders I placed were perfect too. 

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

My two Elves sets from yesterday were perfect except for the stupid stickers.

The ASDA orders I placed were perfect too. 

Thanks... a hairdryer or heat gun on low can often remove stickers, same with those from Smyths. Why on Earth they can't just use the manufacturer's barcode in this day and age is beyond me. I understand if it's a manager's special with a huge discount.

I’ve been lucky for a while now, the Argos elves sets from yesterday were all in mint condition, only had the barcode sticker on one but it came off easily by peeling it slowly.

Asda have been excellent, and amazon as always. But top prize to LEGO for my 10242 which were two to a case within another huge box.

They sent me a boost your vehicles polybag set, which bizarrely came separately in a box about 2ft cubed with 6 air pockets chucked in - hardly the most efficient!

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
12 minutes ago, Gary81 said:

I’ve been lucky for a while now, the Argos elves sets from yesterday were all in mint condition, only had the barcode sticker on one but it came off easily by peeling it slowly.

Asda have been excellent, and amazon as always. But top prize to LEGO for my 10242 which were two to a case within another huge box.

They sent me a boost your vehicles polybag set, which bizarrely came separately in a box about 2ft cubed with 6 air pockets chucked in - hardly the most efficient!

Thanks... I'll keep a closer eye on Argos and may succumb to temptation again. Do you know if it's possible to order enormous quantities or is stock limited to what's in stores around you?

11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Thanks... I'll keep a closer eye on Argos and may succumb to temptation again. Do you know if it's possible to order enormous quantities or is stock limited to what's in stores around you?

No change there im afraid. When these things go on sale you are resigned to clicking and collecting the stock at each individual store. I’ve moved and now got a couple of Argos and Sainsbury collection points really close - and on top of that working in staines I have an Argos in the town and another Sainsburys literally on the way home. So I seem to have been a bit luckier than most for finding stock.

There was a suggestion on the EBay Argos store you could order multiples to one store to pick up, and the system was allowing you right through to pay. But it is nonsense and won’t work for sure.

It was letting me add 10 for collection up the road within the hour, but there wasn’t ten in stock in the country according to the Argos website. They could have flown them down from Scotland, but I thought that unlikely. Obviously a glitch with their Ebay system.

Target wrapped my slave 1s in plastic which I found interesting only to find out they taped with packing tape to keep the plastic on which is all over one side and is clearly going to take done print off...1e25195051d8e0695ce6323856fdb23e.jpgd1362f299670a0bb2a9a3998e6622dd5.jpg
Try a blow drier for the tape. I've had this happen before and the blow drier did the trick with the tape.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, stuco191 said:

That was always my question how to remove the stickiness after the blow dryer. Does goo gone damage the printing on the box?

be sure and use the regular GOO GONE the extra, and if you take a set like the Camper which has a flat paint, it will smear the paint, the sets that have the gloss finish usually it does not hurt the box.

• Like 1