Jump to content

Thread of Packaging Excellence

Recommended Posts

I've used the tool before, it's kind of messy though. Great for warehouses shipping product to stores within their chain, where box appearance doesn't matter, but not so great for a tight sharp edged box going to an end-consumer.

I custom cut boxes all the time, I just do it manually with a straight edge and a tape measure. Mark 4 dots at the corners, measured from the bottom fold seam at whatever height you're cutting it down to. Get a straight edge (a box flap from a previously downsized box usually works fine)... take the back edge of a sharpie cap (the little clip part, i found this to be the best tool for the job, it dents the cardboard but wont easily cut into it) and use that to etch a fold line into the box using the straight edge. Cut the corners down to the marked height. Fold against your straight edge guide. If you measured correctly the folds should be professional and perfectly level, which the tool fails at most times. 

This sounds labour intensive, and it would be silly for anyone shipping in volume, but if you're a small to mid time seller doing a few sales a day, the savings in shipping costs can often be worth the 5 or 7 minutes this takes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest TabbyBoy
5 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I've used the tool before, it's kind of messy though. Great for warehouses shipping product to stores within their chain, where box appearance doesn't matter, but not so great for a tight sharp edged box going to an end-consumer.

I custom cut boxes all the time, I just do it manually with a straight edge and a tape measure. Mark 4 dots at the corners, measured from the bottom fold seam at whatever height you're cutting it down to. Get a straight edge (a box flap from a previously downsized box usually works fine)... take the back edge of a sharpie cap (the little clip part, i found this to be the best tool for the job, it dents the cardboard but wont easily cut into it) and use that to etch a fold line into the box using the straight edge. Cut the corners down to the marked height. Fold against your straight edge guide. If you measured correctly the folds should be professional and perfectly level, which the tool fails at most times. 

This sounds labour intensive, and it would be silly for anyone shipping in volume, but if you're a small to mid time seller doing a few sales a day, the savings in shipping costs can often be worth the 5 or 7 minutes this takes. 

I buy boxes in these 4 sizes only:

400 x 300 x 100mm - eg. the 60111 Fire Truck <2KG small parcel

400 x 250 x 100mm - eg. the 60151 Dragster Transporter <2KG small parcel

320 x 220 x 100mm - eg. the 21006 White House <2KG small parcel (perfect fit with 1 layer of big bubble-wrap)

600 x 400 x 100mm - eg. 42068 ARV and medium CITY sets <2KG Collect+

By buying 2000 of the above assorted, the cost of each box is 50p at the most and no time wasted cutting. I also fill any gaps with air-bags or scrunched up newspaper that I get free from local newsagents. 10min to faff around cutting a ton of boxes is a lot of time (and money) wasted. Get the right box for the right set, it's as simple as that. If you don't have the economies of scale, share the shipment of boxes with another trader.

Anything that's bigger than the above or in job lots is collected or locally delivered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I don't have one but I've heard people use these for making custom boxes. Anyone here try one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Cardboard-Box-Carton-Reducer-Sizer/dp/B00OI9RO94/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1549569882&amp;sr=8-4&amp;keywords=box+resizer+tool

 

Box resizer.jpg

A standard 2$ box cutter and a steady hand are all you really need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I've used the tool before, it's kind of messy though. Great for warehouses shipping product to stores within their chain, where box appearance doesn't matter, but not so great for a tight sharp edged box going to an end-consumer.

I custom cut boxes all the time, I just do it manually with a straight edge and a tape measure. Mark 4 dots at the corners, measured from the bottom fold seam at whatever height you're cutting it down to. Get a straight edge (a box flap from a previously downsized box usually works fine)... take the back edge of a sharpie cap (the little clip part, i found this to be the best tool for the job, it dents the cardboard but wont easily cut into it) and use that to etch a fold line into the box using the straight edge. Cut the corners down to the marked height. Fold against your straight edge guide. If you measured correctly the folds should be professional and perfectly level, which the tool fails at most times. 

This sounds labour intensive, and it would be silly for anyone shipping in volume, but if you're a small to mid time seller doing a few sales a day, the savings in shipping costs can often be worth the 5 or 7 minutes this takes. 

I think I do the same as you. 
Use the stanley (knife) to cut the corners to the desired height and then fold the flaps over with a ruler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest TabbyBoy

Before you start cutting too many boxes, stop and think, "are they strong enough?". Personally, I avoid Amazon boxes as they are very thin walled, easily warp when slightly damp and don't offer enough protection - this is also why I no longer use Lil Packaging. My favourite second-hand box is the 84-sachet Whiskas cat food box which is also double-walled. This is a shade under the UK Royal Mail small parcel size and accommodates most small/medium sets under the 2KG limit for £3.95 2nd signed for postage. We share our cat food with neighbours and I get a couple of these boxes per week along with another dozen or so when I pop into local vets and pet shops. Oh... the first wave of 12 Brickheadz fit perfectly and are very well protected 😉

Remember, a box needs to survive being thrown on to a van several times, especially if UPS, DPD or My Hermes is used.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Before you start cutting too many boxes, stop and think, "are they strong enough?". Personally, I avoid Amazon boxes as they are very thin walled, easily warp when slightly damp and don't offer enough protection - this is also why I no longer use Lil Packaging. My favourite second-hand box is the 84-sachet Whiskas cat food box which is also double-walled. This is a shade under the UK Royal Mail small parcel size and accommodates most small/medium sets under the 2KG limit for £3.95 2nd signed for postage. We share our cat food with neighbours and I get a couple of these boxes per week along with another dozen or so when I pop into local vets and pet shops. Oh... the first wave of 12 Brickheadz fit perfectly and are very well protected 😉

Remember, a box needs to survive being thrown on to a van several times, especially if UPS, DPD or My Hermes is used.

 

There´s a trick to reinforcing the cut sides that makes the box sturdier than the original, but I´ll leave that to the origami specialists to explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, oneknightr said:

I don't have one but I've heard people use these for making custom boxes. Anyone here try one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Cardboard-Box-Carton-Reducer-Sizer/dp/B00OI9RO94/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1549569882&amp;sr=8-4&amp;keywords=box+resizer+tool

 

Box resizer.jpg

Have that same tool from Uline.ca 

 = Useless...

it's basically just a pinking wheel on a stick.  Soo much faster & easier to use a boxblade to cut the 4 corners up from your chosen depth and simply fold the sides over the edge of the table.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...