USPS Media Mail shipping questions

It has to be media (which includes books and more) and only certain types of media.

It's subject to inspection, and your buyer will pay a whomping extra charge in postage when the item gets there if they've figured out you're not mailing an approved item.

usps.com has the rules of what can ship media. If you're selling LEGO, no, you can't.

You run the risk of a postal inspection as other have stated.  Technically, the sets are not educational material nor meet the other criteria.   if tried, i suggest including a couple of items to meet the rules. 

the other issue is that the shipping duration is much greater than priority mail so boxed sets would have greater probability of damage.

https://www.usps.com/ship/media-mail.htm

I just ran into this, except I was the buyer. The seller sent me Lego with a Media Mail label, and it was audited by USPS. I got a notice on my door stating the package was short on postage. Went to the post office and learned what had happened.

I paid the difference and seller agreed to refund that amount. Everything worked out. Takeaway - USPS will audit packages so be sure to use eligible shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Ok this is bad in my part, could i just have use priority shipping even i have my own box?

You can use any box to ship priority - if I do this I have a roll of priority mail labels I like to slap all over the box. I have no idea if it helps, but it makes me feel better.

I recommend against using liquor boxes, though. For some reason those and used pizza boxes seem to really unsettle my buyers.  :pleasantry:

Btw, I used to use priority mail for just about everything I sold on ebay because I sell a lot of items that are small and heavy that fit well on the flat rate boxes.

I've found that Legos, however, can have some long dimensions that cause the priority mail price to blow up. I'm going to be using fedex a lot more because their prices are substantially less than even usps parcel select when you have the ebay discounts for some top-rated accounts.

Does anybody know of a website where you can punch in the dimensions, weight, originating zip code, and ebay discounts and it will give you same rates around the country for different services?

I recommend against using liquor boxes, though. For some reason those and used pizza boxes seem to really unsettle my buyers.  :pleasantry:

A guy sent me a Bricklink order in a box originally used for frozen hamburger patties. What made that funnier was the morning I received the package, I just finished eating a couple cheeseburgers!
  • Like 1

Guest betsy805

You can use any box to ship priority - if I do this I have a roll of priority mail labels I like to slap all over the box. I have no idea if it helps, but it makes me feel better.

HA, I have loads of liquor and wine boxes too, from the checkout stand at Costco.  Had figured they wouldn't accept it since I can't ship liquor....but I have reused a durable costco raisin box!

HA, I have loads of liquor and wine boxes too, from the checkout stand at Costco. Had figured they wouldn't accept it since I can't ship liquor....but I have reused a durable costco raisin box!

I've reused granola bar boxes before. Not the little ones that the individual bars come in but the bigger cardboard boxes they ship the boxes in. I will reuse anything.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Dried cherry boxes from Sams Club.  They work to.

Once the post office folks know you and what you are doing they don't really question the box.  I work at a Software company and workers put boxes in the hallway outside the IT department and I grab all kinds of different boxes from there that I ship in.  View Sonic flat screen boxes are great for large sets (Yoda UCS)  Lap top boxes from IBM, etc. When I buy new sets I try to find a box for them today and then just store it that box until I sell it in the future.  Sure takes up space but it is in the basement where I store this stuff so it stays out of the wifes way. 

• 5 months later...

HA, I have loads of liquor and wine boxes too, from the checkout stand at Costco.  Had figured they wouldn't accept it since I can't ship liquor....but I have reused a durable costco raisin box!

Haha. But seriously, one of the examples of how to properly package and label a box for shipping at my nearest post office shows a re-used liquor box with "VODKA" crossed out in black marker.

Edited by minicoopers11

Would shipping Lego instructions qualify for Media Mail?

There was a discussion on Bricklink where someone shipping ONLY Lego instructions via media mail had their shipment inspected and USPS objected and demanded more postage. So, I guess not. http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=859673

That said, these discussions make me realize that I have sent Brickmaster and other Lego books with a bonus minifigure via media mail before. This is a different animal, but maybe it is not kosher to do so.

There was a discussion on Bricklink where someone shipping ONLY Lego instructions via media mail had their shipment inspected and USPS objected and demanded more postage. So, I guess not. http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=859673

That said, these discussions make me realize that I have sent Brickmaster and other Lego books with a bonus minifigure via media mail before. This is a different animal, but maybe it is not kosher to do so.

That is crazy.  Anyone know if the lego calendar could be shipped media mail?  I googled if calendars are OK and got mixed answers.

Not being a postal inspector - who knows.  I shipped playbills from some stage plays via media mail and had no issues.  If it looks like media (Magazine or something), it is printed on paper, Then I personally would not see the issue with it.  The question is what inspector it goes through.  Flat envelopes that look like they contain magazines should get through without issue.  Big boxes that say media - that is going to jump out at the inspector. 

I would bet that the Lego Calendar would get through as media without issue.  IF the post folks ask just tell them it is media regarding toys.  They should not get too picky but if the person is having a bad day.

You are always at the whim of a human in this process. 

Media mail is a mystery wrapped in a enigma. I have shipped literally hundreds of packages containing comic books via media mail sometimes weighing as much as 10 pounds and have never had one issue. According to the rules, which are vague to say the least, I don't believe that comics are permitted but I keep doing it until they tell me not to. I am surprised they haven't discontinued this service.

Edited by jbacunn

I was always told if it has advertisements it is not allowed.

In this case if its just 1 why not send first class. They are 11oz shipped and cant see the savings for media vs first class especially in speed of service.

This is correct -- magazines and comic books are not permitted under media mail; graphic novels are. If it has an ISBN number or would have an ISBN number if it weren't too old to have entered that system yet, (when we're talking printed matter), you're safe. 

Lots of stuff gets through media that isn't -- I know people who have received shoes by media mail -- but the down side is your buyer will be charged the postage difference if you get caught, and buyers tend to get tetchy about that.

I'm glad to be getting out of the media mail allowed items. I rarely had packages inspected because our packaging makes it pretty clear that it's a book, but it is always a concern as I don't trust the post office to package it back up again properly after opening it.