What Lego set do you have buyers remorse on buying?

I only regret buying the star wars sets from the first 3 movies (episode 1-3). The value of these are dropping day by day. I will try to get ridd of them and get back the money I paid for them.

Also I regret buying some studios sets and basketball teams. Here in Europe nobody wants them.

Vampyre Castle is rising here in Europe. 130 euro now. I know still 3 to buy for 99 euro each. So that is what I will buy next.

Helm's deep is still to be found in some shops. But it has increased a bit already. Patience on this one is required.

For the rest I think/hope I did pretty good. But time will tell.

Guest TabbyBoy

That's why I only buy StarWars from episodes IV to VI. Some sets from the prequels are turkeys like my sodding Malevolences.

The parisan restaurant. Just because it's way too early to have some. I felt in love and had one, but there was no rush... so it's a bad investment (I will have to wait until 2018 and could get some in 2017 with a nice discount, I'm stupid). I guess I will offer it to a friend for birthday or Xmas.

I can't say the lone ranger sets because I managed to make a little money. No lost money, no have to complain.

So I would only say the TMNT Baxter 79105.

I hate that 79105 set. My best friend has one, I looked at this set and no way: it's crap.

I got two at 50% off thinking it would be ok but nope, I can't manage to sell them. Guess I will have to wait for Xmas.

That's why now I only buy sets I like, because I don't want to be stuck with some I don't.

I agree you should try to buy sets you like. Mostly that is my measurepoint if a set will be successful as an investment.

For example: I bought two red cargo trains some weeks ago. And I did not manage to keep both sealed. The box is so appealing! I opened one and build it. What a great set this is! I am stunned! (especially cause the nose of the locomotive is brick-build). I want to buy more more more of those. Like some people buy different copies of the same book every time they find one.

• Like 2

Regards to the original post, that is a rather horrifying scenario but thankfully it didn't escalate into the realm of nightmares. In response to the topic question itself, nope. If anything I regret not buying certain sets or even not enough of in some cases.

I was sweating with each second that ticked down. i was wondering if there was any good way to get out of paying way too much for the set. fortunately $50 isn't too bad now i need to figure out if i want to complete the set or sell or just keep it build it and have a good story.

I bought into the "Out of stock" hype last Spring and picked up a couple Cargo Trains at retail during 2x VIP.  I regret that, for sure.  Live and learn...  Other than that, I don't regret too much, since most of what I buy is at discount.

I panicked and bought 3 batcaves and 2 summer riding camp at retail price six months ago. Looking back those are the only sets I bought at or close to msrp, except exclusives of course. I don't regret the batcaves as no one see them coming back, but SRC was a bit rush.

Honestly, 100%, nothing. At least not any actual sets, many things I wish I waited to get on sale, or bought earlier when a sale was present. Lego is many things, but regrettable is not one, at least not yet. I`ve set boundaries for myself in terms of themes I won`t touch (HF, Duplo, Planet Series, etc.) unless huge discounts and stick to them almost entirely. So no, never bought a set I regret, there is always a place to be made for almost anything Lego (excluding the above and a few others which I just don`t like). Some things though I definitely should have bought at prices though, in that respect I`m far from perfect. 

• Like 1

I am so sure of it that I will refrain from sarcasm for 1 whole month if it does.  One time sales from Korea don't count though.

You sure you can do that? I wouldn't want you to strain a muscle or something. :blum: True I can't quite see the set hit double retail within the first year of retirement but stranger things have happened and continue to do so.
  • Like 1

SSD.  Will NEVER double in price.  Too many investors not enough secondary market buyers. 

I understand that and I quite agree but we never know what such a giga-big-monster-baby star wars set can do (let's say) 5 years after EOL.

Something like 10% CAGR would mean a lot of money for just one quite expensive set.

At least you will not loose some money (if bought on amazon with a nice discount) and you will be able to resell it whenever at MSRP so it's ok I guess.

I'm almost positive that all the people that bought tons of orc forges are hating life right now. They won't admit it though.

Talk about an uppercut, thanks.

Why not also throw in a jab about most Monster Fighter investments while you're at it?

Note: what sucks about the Orc Forge sets is that target barely sales on these. There was a May 2013 BOGO Sale I over $100 and a few other price cuts but not many,