21009 - Farnsworth House

88leeshop

• 1 year later...

Judging from this thread not having a post since January 2015 this set is still being neglected, however I think this is becoming one of the biggests winner since being discontinued in late 2014/early 2015.  A year and a half later, if bought at a modest discount at B&N, it's beyond 4x it's RRP value.  

While the Death Star has dropped a hundred dollars in a couple days, this set has gained almost a hundred dollars in a few weeks time.  This set looks like it could go up to 300 by christmas.  

Looking back, this and fallingwater were great bets for late 2014/early 2015.  Way better than dumping money into Tower of Orthancs, Red5s, Pet Shops, and all the other sets everyone was talking about back then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Judging from this thread not having a post since January 2015 this set is still being neglected, however I think this is becoming one of the biggests winner since being discontinued in late 2014/early 2015.  A year and a half later, if bought at a modest discount at B&N, it's beyond 4x it's RRP value.  

While the Death Star has dropped a hundred dollars in a couple days, this set has gained almost a hundred dollars in a few weeks time.  This set looks like it could go up to 300 by christmas.  

Looking back, this and fallingwater were great bets for late 2014/early 2015.  Way better than dumping money into Tower of Orthancs, Red5s, Pet Shops, and all the other sets everyone was talking about back then.

Shhhhh. Why are you taking about this?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Migration said:

Shhhhh. Why are you taking about this?

Just imagine it's March 2015, and you just made an investment of 4000 in lego. If you were just a little different from the herd, instead of placing 4000 on 6 death stars and 8 Red 5's (lets say you got a small discount), you instead bought 20 Fallingwater (RRP was 99.99), and 33 Farnsworth House (RRP was 59.99).  

Today you'd pretty much make about 200 off the all those Death Stars and Red5's when costs are factored in like fees, and shipping.  While on the fallingwaters, and farnsworth houses.. you'd earn about 6,320.00 in profit.  

3 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Just imagine it's March 2015, and you just made an investment of 4000 in lego. If you were just a little different from the herd, instead of placing 4000 on 6 death stars and 8 Red 5's (lets say you got a small discount), you instead bought 20 Fallingwater (RRP was 99.99), and 33 Farnsworth House (RRP was 59.99).  

Today you'd pretty much make about 200 off the all those Death Stars and Red5's when costs are factored in like fees, and shipping.  While on the fallingwaters, and farnsworth houses.. you'd earn about 6,320.00 in profit.  

I don't have to imagine. Except, replace Fallingwater with 21012. I did buy to many Empire State Buildings, but it could be worse. I could have put that cash into 10188. I have never followed the "accepted" strategy for investing and got sick of defending myself for my choices so simply stopped discussing my choices. It wasn't a tough call either, go look up Guggenheim and Rockafeller Center, which were what I was selling this time last year. Of course now cats out of the bag so will need to alter course again...Long live QFLL!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Migration said:

I don't have to imagine. Except, replace Fallingwater with 21012. I did buy to many Empire State Buildings, but it could be worse. I could have put that cash into 10188. I have never followed the "accepted" strategy for investing and got sick of defending myself for my choices so simply stopped discussing my choices. It wasn't a tough call either, go look up Guggenheim and Rockafeller Center, which were what I was selling this time last year. Of course now cats out of the bag so will need to alter course again...Long live QFLL!

21012 is going to do very well.  It's already looking solid out of the gates.  Next year it's easily 4x, as well. I think Imperial Hotel is also going to be a big winner, and so many had a chance to invest in that one, but didn't.  

I did hold a few 21008 Burj Khalifas a little past their prime, and the updated version really brought down the price of the original..  They don't seem to move at 99.00, but I paid 18.00 for them, so its tough to complain when they sell at 80.  Still, they peaked around 5x, and sometimes you could make 6x off of them. I suspect, the same bottoming out will happen to the original Guggenheim when it comes out next year.  Regardless, this line still remains fun.

23 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

21012 is going to do very well.  It's already looking solid out of the gates.  Next year it's easily 4x, as well. I think Imperial Hotel is also going to be a big winner, and so many had a chance to invest in that one, but didn't.  

I did hold a few 21008 Burj Khalifas a little past their prime, and the updated version really brought down the price of the original..  They don't seem to move at 99.00, but I paid 18.00 for them, so its tough to complain when they sell at 80.  Still, they peaked around 5x, and sometimes you could make 6x off of them. I suspect, the same bottoming out will happen to the original Guggenheim when it comes out next year.  Regardless, this line still remains fun.

I will have zero Farnsworth, Fallingwater, SOH 4 months from now. I got rid of Empire State as soon as I saw the skyline set. No point in holding much of anything long term. My buy in on SOH was around $30, current FBA is $101ish. Take the money and run.

The problem now is that this line is "low hanging fruit" that everyone knows about, especially after the whole DS thing people with deep pockets will be looking for other places to put their cash. And this line looks great on a CEO's desk, so honestly the architecture party is more or less over.

Edited by Migration
  • Like 1