9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

Surprised this one doesn't have a thread yet, as I see it mentioned a bunch in other threads. Most people think it's an investment winner? Is there a sniff of EOL coming soon? I notice the S&**** site has a limit of 1. So - worth paying retail or a small discount? For some reason I am just not convinced on this one yet, maybe because I am not a huge LOTR fan...

You might could find it on clearance. I found one at a Walmart for $89. It seems that if the store has a small Lego isle, they are likely to put these bigger sets on clearance. This same Walmart also stashed like 20 Police Stations on clearance but with no discount in the clearance section. As far as would it gain value when EOL, I think it has 2 things going for it. 1. It is Lotr 2. It is a castle style set

I think this set is going to be immensely successful. It will have been out around a year, which will mean that a bunch of people who didn't pick on up during the last buying season will be looking for it. Plus there will be two more Hobbit movies coming out, followed by what I would expect to be a conversion of the LOTR Trilogy to 3D. This set is almost definitely a high performer. I do expect it to stay until October though, similar to what the Black Pearl did this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I have the opportunity to grab Helms Deep at 25% off, but am not sure if it is worth waiting for a better sale or getting a couple now. Keep in mind that I am in Canada and sales are rare. I`d think it is a great deal and have read on here that it will be a great investment, but want to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks!

Hello everyone. I have the opportunity to grab Helms Deep at 25% off, but am not sure if it is worth waiting for a better sale or getting a couple now. Keep in mind that I am in Canada and sales are rare. I`d think it is a great deal and have read on here that it will be a great investment, but want to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks!

Is this purchase through a standard vendor or through alternative means like Craigslist? I would say that if it is through a vendor and they have a return policy buy it now and if in 90 days you have buyers remorse take it back. I think it's a wonderful set and that is a good discount, but it all depends on your budget and where to tie your money up. It may be a while before you realize a good return.

Walmart has them up here for a clearance price of $129.00. If I recall correctly the MSRP on that set in Canada is $169.00. The three I found on clearance I bought, same with the four Jabba Palace's for $98 (Canadian MSRP of $154.99). If I could find more locally I'd snap them up.

25% off for that set currently is a super great deal. It's gonna retire soon. ****** them up and you will be laughing all the way to the bank!!!

I heard its around for a while yet. But 25% off is good. Cheapest deal in the UK at the moment is 22% off at Amazon.

Thank you all very much! I went back and ended up getting 2 of them. Some were is very bad shape (creases, busted corners, missing ink in some places) but the ones I managed to get only had some minor shelf wear. No regrets!

Walmart has them up here for a clearance price of $129.00. If I recall correctly the MSRP on that set in Canada is $169.00. The three I found on clearance I bought, same with the four Jabba Palace's for $98 (Canadian MSRP of $154.99). If I could find more locally I'd snap them up.

That ended up being wear I got them from. Pretty good deal, I`d have to agree.

Is this purchase through a standard vendor or through alternative means like Craigslist? I would say that if it is through a vendor and they have a return policy buy it now and if in 90 days you have buyers remorse take it back. I think it's a wonderful set and that is a good discount, but it all depends on your budget and where to tie your money up. It may be a while before you realize a good return.

I ended up grabbing 2 from Walmart. I don`t use Craigslist because of some of the horror stories I`ve heard, and I`ve only gotten a handful of things off ebay. Hoping to sit on them for a couple of years in hopes of a 100% or more return. Just getting into this though, so maybe I`m dreaming a little bit much. We`ll see. Thanks though!

• 1 month later...

So, I still haven't picked up any of these. I was focusing on some other sets, and I finally have some extra investing money set aside. Like I've said many times before, I don't have that much capital to be able to stock up on several sets that are probably going to perform well long term, so I end up trying to pick up those that are the closest to retiring at any given time. Having said all that, at this moment the slowest I see is on Amazon at $116, which is not bad but not great either. Going to TRU with their $25 off $100+ sets might get it down at $112, but I highly doubt they'll have them at retail. Is it time to pick up one of these even at $116? or gamble and wait for another BOGO or extra discount?

I still need a Helms deep for collection purposes, and I'm in the same boat, waiting for a deeper discount than Amazon's current one. I'm feeling I might just have to pull the trigger at the current price, though. Lego clearance at my local stores is a total joke, I never find anything, I mean never, there must be a ton of Lego people around. So unless this thing drops further on Amazon, I'm unlikely to find it any cheaper.