9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

I dont understand the slow rising of HD. It is the main set of Lot line but here in europe it is slightly over MSRP...and we got a great Fanbase here. I guess its "time" to wait for another 2-3 years... to get about 2-3 of retail...

You do realize the first holiday season since it's retirement is still 50 days away?  I think time will tell, once we get to March 2015.

• Like 3

I dont understand the slow rising of HD. It is the main set of Lot line but here in europe it is slightly over MSRP...and we got a great Fanbase here. I guess its "time" to wait for another 2-3 years... to get about 2-3 of retail...

90% of Lego sets don't pop out of the gate. Takes a slower steady growth over 2-3 years. Additionally, Helm's Deep retired with plenty of notice. I don't remember much panic buying since it wasn't an exclusive (meaning, most of us purchased our target # of inventory at nice discounts 4-8 months before it retired).

• Like 1

Some folks in Europe are talking about still purchasing HD at retail, and at a DISCOUNT. This was just a few days ago.

You have to wait for all those avenues to dry up before it pops.

As said it has to be given a little longer. That being said I think LOTR theme as a whole will not do that well. Even though it has a fan base. It is not nearly as large as other such as Star Wars.

I dont understand the slow rising of HD.

It's still available here and there in some toy shops. :) But lego is recovering sets from LOTR. A month ago, LOTR were available everywhere, last week some retailers have been resent to lego (that's what a seller told me)... BTW that's why I had a rush to get some 9472 battle weathertop and 9474 Helm's deep before it's too late. Certainly the third wave of Hobbit is too much for physical retailers (LOTR waves 1 and 2 + Hobbit waves 1 and 2: shelves really need some room for Hobbit 3rd wave) .

It is the main set of Lot line

Well, not really :) it's the Tower of Orthanc, so maybe guys who have 150/200

Edited by biniou

As said it has to be given a little longer. That being said I think LOTR theme as a whole will not do that well. Even though it has a fan base. It is not nearly as large as other such as Star Wars.

But there also aren't nearly the quantities of LOTR sets as there are for Star Wars. I think the supply/demand ratio will do well for the most popular book of the 20th Century. Just have to wait for those last places where you can buy them at retail to run out

These sort of comments and concerns completely baffle me. The set hasn't been retired for a full year yet, and as others have pointed out, is still floating around the wilds at retail (Europe more than Stateside apparently).

This is about as sure fire a winner as there is for a non exclusive. I fully expect $250 after Christmas, and most likely will hit $300/$350 by next Christmas. 

I have no idea where people get their expectations from. If you're that nervous about it, try to stick them in a closet and forget you have them. You'll be glad you did.

Where's Emazers when you need him. :)

• Like 1

I was telling people to get this set most of last year, if you check ebay they are going for $130-180, now for us guys that gut these for around $80 or so the set is doing OK, should be around $200 by Christmas and higher in 2015. Most sets take time to get big money, one exception looks like the Haunted House will sky rocket very fast, just check ebay now. On The Helm's Deep unless you need the money wait another year.

• Like 1

HD is doing good if you consider what most actually paid for it (90-100). Cheapest on amz now is 179, 190 fulfilled. 

Nothing to shake a stick at. I think people will be pleasantly surprised with HD's performance after it goes through its first holiday season. Considering the across the board bump CAGR% got last year (pre Lego Movie, too) some recently retired sets might start to show more growth. I'm tempted to sell at around the $200 mark this holiday season, but I think the best gains are still a year away. Instead I'll offer on kijiji and sell only if I can avoid selling fees and get some cash in hand, but that should leave several for next year. This is a set that should be held despite some temptation to unload this holiday season (unless you are really short on cash or really short on space, etc.)

I just bought 2 of theme since I found them in a store nearby and I am highly satisfied.

The set really looks great and besides the fact that they should have included more minifigures for the battle it is AWESOME!

Whenever I glance at the boxes I feel the urge to open those boxes and build the set.

A set giving me that much "trouble" with keeping the box closed is a sure winner in my opinion. It's true that the SW franchise is way bigger but thinking about it there are few/none franchises that can keep up...

There's still the next movie and the books as well as the LOTR movies will life on in my opinion.

The LEGO theme though will probably end pretty soon thus leaving not too many options to LOTR fans.

I just bought 2 of theme since I found them in a store nearby and I am highly satisfied.

The set really looks great and besides the fact that they should have included more minifigures for the battle it is AWESOME!

Whenever I glance at the boxes I feel the urge to open those boxes and build the set.

A set giving me that much "trouble" with keeping the box closed is a sure winner in my opinion. It's true that the SW franchise is way bigger but thinking about it there are few/none franchises that can keep up...

There's still the next movie and the books as well as the LOTR movies will life on in my opinion.

The LEGO theme though will probably end pretty soon thus leaving not too many options to LOTR fans.

Open one up! It is a very fun build.

You do realize the first holiday season since it's retirement is still 50 days away?  I think time will tell, once we get to March 2015.

Of course I do and trust me I do not have a problem with the waiting game. I just thought that a so iconic scene like HD would appreciate much faster....but I guess I am wrong with my prediction.. :vampire: 

I don't get it... what's "the trouble" exactly?

Its the trouble because I always offer free shipping, and sets above 2kg weight (and x+y+z = 90cm+) I have to send only as boxed shipping parcel priority with tracking and insurance..... which means, the cheapest postage for any set above 2kg automatically goes to around 50$ (for EU) and around 60-65$ for Worldwide..... 

Its the trouble because I always offer free shipping, and sets above 2kg weight (and x+y+z = 90cm+) I have to send only as boxed shipping parcel priority with tracking and insurance..... which means, the cheapest postage for any set above 2kg automatically goes to around 50$ (for EU) and around 60-65$ for Worldwide..... 

Yeah sorry to hear that but I don't know the market in Slovenia, I would take a wild guess and say it's not as good as Germany or he U.S. to resell items so you need to ship international?

But as mscheaf said: Then don't offer free shipping?