9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

I hope that doesn't happen. Because if investors are worthy of that kind of machiavellian effort, then we are a larger share of the market than we think. And if TLG screws us, we'll stop buying. If we stop buying, TLG's profits shrink. If TLG's profits shrink, then their products will suffer. I want TLG producing more awesome toys for years to come.

Stick to the gameplan, TLG. Remember, most of us are here to help support our addiction to your fantastic toys.

Very good point. They (TRU) is apparently Lego`s closest contract in terms of distribution. Supposedly they buy the sets cheaper as well, then sell them for above retail  most times. Which is odd, but apparently they make lots of money doing it. Kids buy at TRU. Parents/grandparents do the same, those who don`t shop around that is. 

And yes, I agree about them in essence becoming a reseller. With minimal competition at that. 

As far has monster fighters goes, I haven`t put anything into that theme. It`s not my cup of tea, and honestly, it`s likely going to take some time to make decent returns given the huge amount of sales recently. Popular theme most definitely, so that will help, but there just seems to be a large concentration of the sets available, and I`m not sure how this will pan out later on. Everyone says to buy VCs, but I`m willing to eat my own sock if they reach the value many have predicted in a short time (like next Christmas). I just don`t see. Yes there is money in the theme, but I doubt there is what many claim, at least in the short run (1-2 years). After that, it`s anyone`s guess. 

Also, a +1 for your first post! Well done  :goodjob:

Seriously, people.  Stop with the conspiracy theories.  It's ridiculous that people lose their heads or "think they've been played" every time TLG brings something back from "Out of Stock".  The term "Out of Stock" by its very nature indicates more will probably come.  Eventually, all sets retire (yes even the Death Stare will eventually retire) - these are no different.  Plenty of reputable investors have already shared with the forum that THIS IS THE WAY THINGS RETIRE.  Get used to it.

I beg to differ on the conspiracy theory part, by stating that this is the way it is. Maybe I made it sound like I intended to convey a theory as you have said, but that is not the case, so I`ll bite the bullet. Perhaps I exaggerated what I extended to say slightly  Also, yes I`m a newer investor, but I`ve been a hobbyist most of my life, which granted may be shorter then many, but long enough to know how things retire. 

Playing your hand badly is buying a set, thinking it's going away soon, and it's not. You possibly guessed wrong. That is bad because your capital is tied up in a product you can't move for a profit -- you could have easily purchased something else with that money that IS retiring and make some profit on it in the course of a year, rather than just having it tied up in some VC that are just sitting in your closet and the TRU wearhouse. This is basic investing knowedge and I shouldn't have to explain it. ;)

I get your point but the problem is that it's not just a conspiracy THEORY at this point. There is evidence for my claims:

- TRU is advertising the monster fighters theme as an exclusive - the last time they did this for a product that was retiring was the 8038 Battle of Endor in 2010 and it stayed another year

- TRUs just added brand new monster righter display cases to it's stores - why would they do this just to promote a product on the cusp of retiring

- The retailer catalog evidence for the sets going away has zero bearing on the MF line staying as a TRU exclusive. We have no idea if the Funhouse is going away for a reason

I get that you're defensive about some of this because we all want to feel like we made the right choices with our money, but I'm asking you to be objective and consider the fact that our assumptions for what was going to happen at the end of this year may be wrong. A smart investor is open to the advice of others and can adjust accordingly when circumstances warrant.

Playing your hand badly is buying a set, thinking it's going away soon, and it's not. You possibly guessed wrong. That is bad because your capital is tied up in a product you can't move for a profit -- you could have easily purchased something else with that money that IS retiring and make some profit on it in the course of a year, rather than just having it tied up in some VC that are just sitting in your closet and the TRU wearhouse. This is basic investing knowedge and I shouldn't have to explain it. ;)

I get your point but the problem is that it's not just a conspiracy THEORY at this point. There is evidence for my claims:

- TRU is advertising the monster fighters theme as an exclusive - the last time they did this for a product that was retiring was the 8038 Battle of Endor in 2010 and it stayed another year

- TRUs just added brand new monster righter display cases to it's stores - why would they do this just to promote a product on the cusp of retiring

- The retailer catalog evidence for the sets going away has zero bearing on the MF line staying as a TRU exclusive. We have no idea if the Funhouse is going away for a reason

I get that you're defensive about some of this because we all want to feel like we made the right choices with our money, but I'm asking you to be objective and consider the fact that our assumptions for what was going to happen at the end of this year may be wrong. A smart investor is open to the advice of others and can adjust accordingly when circumstances warrant.

Maybe you are right and MF will be around, I doubt it though.  Displays come and go all the time in stores.  I highly doubt that TRU just randomly got the exclusive rights to an older them with no new sets on the horizon.  Plus that wouldn't be in Lego's best interest.  

You can speculate all you want on whether MF will stay, but that is how this game works.  We ALL speculate.  Some of us just happen to do it better...  :yes:

As far has monster fighters goes, I haven`t put anything into that theme. It`s not my cup of tea, and honestly, it`s likely going to take some time to make decent returns given the huge amount of sales recently

Please enlight me on how you know this.  My guess is that you don't know this, but are making an assumption based on what you read in the forums, or what you've seen on Amazon.  Just be careful not to fall victim to cognitive bias.  Without sales data, there's no way you can reliably know this.  I'm not saying your wrong to avoid the theme, I'm saying you don't really know.  Besides, I would rather invest in a well selling theme than a poorly selling theme!

Playing your hand badly is buying a set, thinking it's going away soon, and it's not. You possibly guessed wrong. That is bad because your capital is tied up in a product you can't move for a profit -- you could have easily purchased something else with that money that IS retiring and make some profit on it in the course of a year, rather than just having it tied up in some VC that are just sitting in your closet and the TRU wearhouse. This is basic investing knowedge and I should't have to explain it.

I get that you're defensive about some if this because we all want to feel like we made the right choices with our money, but I'm asking you to be objective and consider the fact that our assumptions for what was going to happen at the end of this year may be wrong. A smart investor is open to the advice of others and can adjust accordingly when circumstances warrant.

1. You are assuming that everyone is basing their purchasing decisions based on one criterion - EOL date.  That couldn't be further from reality - most people are buying VCs now because people are speculating they are going EOL AND because they're cheap.  An extra year of life will not tank the future value of these sets, especially if it has limited distribution in its final year.  Yes, there's an opportunity cost to owning a set when no one knows its EOL, but that's part of the game - that doesn't make a purchase a bad decision.

2. Please provide proof of your "evidence".  I haven't seen a new MF display case at any TRUs near me nor have I seen it reported anywhere except in your prior e-mail.  Also, TRU advertised the 41999 as a TRU "Exclusive" but that doesn't seem to have any bearing on its EOL date.  Then again, we're all just guessing at an EOL date anyway so why incorrect speculation of a retirement date is "badly playing your hand" is beyond me.

3. If you're saying that MF not being in the Lego catalog has no effect or bearing on whether it's retiring, you're probably right.  But that's a much better indicator than either of your pieces of evidence.  Lego will NEVER carry a set strictly through one retailer and not offer it on their own website and retail outlets UNLESS ITS RETIRING, and the retail outlet inventory sold slower than the Lego Store/S@H inventory.

If investors bought any MF line at a good discount, another year of the line isn't going to kill their portfolios.  That's not a "badly played hand", just like buying Pirate Ship Ambush, Coast Guard Patrol, or any number of recent releases now at a great discount isn't a bad decision.

• Like 3

This is the probably the most galling part of all three of your posts on this site.  Just because I'm tired of hearing doomsday scenarios and conspiracy theories about the executives at Lego trying to find any hairbrained scheme they can to destroy all forms of investing doesn't mean I'm defensive about Monster Fighters or my purchases. I just find your wild speculation and "proof" of a conspiracy both absurd and unfounded like many previous threads that have speculated on other nefarious plots presumably hatched by Lego. How many discussion about TLG producing more than 20,000 41999's do we have to read?  On top of that, you claim that investors "misplayed their hands" because you feel the theme isn't retiring, insinuating they all made bad decisions and throwing a "GOTCHA!" at them?  Claiming I'm not being objective because I happen to disagree with you?  Not only are these factually incorrect, but they're borderline insulting.  Show me HARD, RELEVANT DATA that says Monster Fighters isn't retiring, and I'll believe you.  Until then, please tone down the patronizing comments.

• Like 6

Quacs did a great job, but here are a few more:

1. one example does not ever make something true or not a theory. You have literally one instance. That just doesn't even pass the eye test. And they aren't even similar - this is a WHOLE theme, not just one random set so its barely even close to a legitimate point.

2. I have seen no display cases - 3 separate TRUs. In fact, my TRU only had 3 VCs for the sale.

3. If TRU is getting these special wholesale, whats the price? $60? maybe 50$ What are they really making selling them all for 80$ with gift cards and double points, and the 10% with the card on Saturday. To me it smells like they are emptying warehouses - nothing even close to what you are talking about.

4. none of the MF sets have been restocked at any of the three stores closest to me.

5. This is the biggest one: Your whole explanation of how an investor should act is completely flawed. I would agree with your point about buying things that were going to EOL soon - if we lived in the perfect world. We don't. None of us know. You don't, I don't, TLG probably doesn't (they just flip a coin - unfortunately it must be the one two-face used). So how in the hell are you expecting people to make decisions based on that.

My question is: When do you make the decision to buy a set? When it says "retired product"? Because at that point, you pay a premium, and you end up making less than the people who bought it a year earlier when it was 30% off!

Please enlight me on how you know this.  My guess is that you don't know this, but are making an assumption based on what you read in the forums, or what you've seen on Amazon.  Just be careful not to fall victim to cognitive bias.  Without sales data, there's no way you can reliably know this.  I'm not saying your wrong to avoid the theme, I'm saying you don't really know.  Besides, I would rather invest in a well selling theme than a poorly selling theme!

No in all honesty I don`t know this. I base my statement on the reset Brickpicker date, which shows, in my opinion, and decent increase in number of sets sold on average. I wouldn`t call it an assumption, rather an opinion made on data, the number of listings, yes, also what I`ve heard on here about the apparent 30% off at Lego stores, the limited availability on Lego.com/.ca, and also what I see currently listed on ebay. I don`t presume to know, because I can`t. It`s an educated opinion. I don`t base my opinions on bias, that is foolish. You`re right of course, I don`t know. How can I? Just my interpretation. For those that believe it to be a good investment, I wish only good things. It`s almost a guarantee that you`ll make money, just depends how how long you want to wait among many other things. Maybe I am being foolish in not buying anything up until this point. Perhaps after considering more, I`ll go out and buy some. 

As for the last part, or course you want to invest where the demand is. Why would anyone do anything else? There is no way to know which sets will make money, we can only make educated guesses and calculations based data and evidence, which we believe to be correct. Outside of that, there is just blind luck. 

In response to my comment, I should have inserted the word "apparent"  in there someplace. That is my mistake for not doing so, and as I see how, failing to insert it has undermined what I originally intended to say.  :ermm:

@treme the only issue I really have is you saying that people chose poorly by stocking up on HDs or MF sets. Who cares if it's not retiring soon? That doesn't make it a poor choice. Sorry there is no book or website that states what day a set will retire. Also saying TRU has a new MF display isn't quite accurate. Yours might maybe but none of mine do. The part where you said lego reads this.......we all knew that a long long time ago so there is no news there. All in all the only thing wrong with your initial statement was a few poor choices in wording. I am guilty of doing that also so I'm not judging but just to let you know you are going to ruffle a few feathers when you just come out and say "hahaha you chose poorly, you got played"!!!! I'm a assuming you have no HDs or anything from the MF line?

• Like 2

Just a quick comment.

I seriously doubt that a company as big and successful as LEGO is going to spend even 1 second playing child's games to "mess up" investors. I actually find that quite funny. Why do they change the S@H tags? it's all marketing, and I am 99% sure they don't take us into consideration AT ALL when doing that.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong and the Tech team of the company is all together in a boardroom with a computer saying " Come on, let's have the Orc Forge as Sold Out for a couple weeks and then bring it back! That will teach those idiots at Brickpicker to not mess with us!!"

• Like 4

Just a quick comment.

I seriously doubt that a company as big and successful as LEGO is going to spend even 1 second playing child's games to "mess up" investors. I actually find that quite funny. Why do they change the LEGO Shop at Home tags? it's all marketing, and I am 99% sure they don't take us into consideration AT ALL when doing that.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong and the Tech team of the company is all together in a boardroom with a computer saying " Come on, let's have the Orc Forge as Sold Out for a couple weeks and then bring it back! That will teach those idiots at Brickpicker to not mess with us!!"

I know how to find out! lets ask a Lego employee!

• Like 2

All I know is, soon as Brick Classifieds are open I'm gonna start listing my Super Secret Anti-TLG Spycatcher packages -- they'll come with a little battery operated "bug checker" that goes "whoo" periodically when you scan it over things; a can of anti-Lego-Employee silly string (it will only stick to REAL TLG employees! Test all your friends before you let them in the house!) and, of course, a tinfoil hat.

I'm gonna be rich.

• Like 3

All I know is, soon as Brick Classifieds are open I'm gonna start listing my Super Secret Anti-TLG Spycatcher packages -- they'll come with a little battery operated "bug checker" that goes "whoo" periodically when you scan it over things; a can of anti-Lego-Employee silly string (it will only stick to REAL TLG employees! Test all your friends before you let them in the house!) and, of course, a tinfoil hat.

I'm gonna be rich.

If you can even find some frickin silly string at retail!!!!

@$#%in silly string resellers.

• Like 3

I'm gonna be rich.

You have a tin foil hat too???

post-13536-0-36892600-1383878062_thumb.j

• Like 3

@treme the only issue I really have is you saying that people chose poorly by stocking up on HDs or MF sets. (2) Who cares if it's not retiring soon? That doesn't make it a poor choice. Sorry there is no book or website that states what day a set will retire. (3) Also saying TRU has a new MF display isn't quite accurate. Yours might maybe but none of mine do. The part where you said lego reads this.......we all knew that a long long time ago so there is no news there. All in all the only thing wrong with your initial statement was a few poor choices in wording. I am guilty of doing that also so I'm not judging but just to let you know you are going to ruffle a few feathers when you just come out and say "hahaha you chose poorly, you got played"!!!! (5) I'm a assuming you have no HDs or anything from the MF line?

I assume this was intended for me? Gonna try and respond to this in point form. 

1) I don`t believe I said that HD was a poor investment. If I recall correctly, what I said was that the availability of HD will likely result in more time for it to gain value, if it is still readily available at retail. I own a few of these myself (5 to be exact), so it would be contradictory for me to say that it was a poor investment if I`ve happily purchased some. They will be a good investment in my opinion, so if something I wrote has been interpreted differently, then I`m sorry. Lord of the Rings will likely be very good, and HD & Orc Forge are probably going to be the front runners for the theme. 

2) Also, I don`t believe said, and certainly did not intend to communicate that just because a set (specifically MF in this case) is still around that it would be a poor investment. What I was trying to say is that it will likely take more time to grow in value given the apparent concentration of sets. More time does not go to say it is bad. It just means what it says: more time. And also, I don`t believe sets (specifically VC) will grow to the value that many have claimed in the time many have suggested (I`m referring to people who have said they believe it to be a $200 by this time next near). That could very well happen, but all I was stating is that I don`t believe it to be the case at this point. I`m happy to have those who don`t agree say "I told you so" should this become a reality. Live and learn!

3) I looked back at my previous posts in this thread. Not sure where that idea came from? I never mentioned TRU having a display of any kind??

4) Alright, I own that perhaps my wording was not what it could have/should have been. I am sincerely sorry if what I posted offended anyone or came across as "putting down" or just being a blatant a**hole. It`s a bit of a problem in more way then one when I care about something. Tend to push a bit too hard. That`s not always right, and I am sorry to anyone/everyone that this may have effected. All that I intended was to voice an opinion, respectfully at that, and not to look down on anyone`s choice of investment. I am very grateful for this forum and the community of like-minded (in terms of invests) individuals I`ve come to know here. Honestly, there is no way that I would know 90% of what I do without being a part here. So thank you everyone. It is a learning experience, and by no means do I claim to know more then any given member. Honestly, there`s tons of you guys/girls on here that know way more then me. MF may do very, very well, and I`ll be left eating my socks for not buying any  :banghead:

Please forgive me. 

5) No Monster fighters at this point. May change my mind, but everything I`ve said goes to state why I have not purchased any up until this point. HD, I mentioned in this post that I own 5. Wish I bought more to be honest, so may still. I don`t know where anyone got the idea that I disliked these (maybe that`s my poor wording that you mentioned). I don`t think that. They should do very well, and I`ve said it before, and will again: Buy Helm`s Deeps!

This is the probably the most galling part of all three of your posts on this site.  Just because I'm tired of hearing doomsday scenarios and conspiracy theories about the executives at Lego trying to find any hairbrained scheme they can to destroy all forms of investing doesn't mean I'm defensive about Monster Fighters or my purchases. I just find your wild speculation and "proof" of a conspiracy both absurd and unfounded like many previous threads that have speculated on other nefarious plots presumably hatched by Lego. How many discussion about TLG producing more than 20,000 41999's do we have to read?  On top of that, you claim that investors "misplayed their hands" because you feel the theme isn't retiring, insinuating they all made bad decisions and throwing a "GOTCHA!" at them?  Claiming I'm not being objective because I happen to disagree with you?  Not only are these factually incorrect, but they're borderline insulting.  Show me HARD, RELEVANT DATA that says Monster Fighters isn't retiring, and I'll believe you.  Until then, please tone down the patronizing comments.

This was not intended toward me I don`t believe, but would like to address a couple points from it. 

I do not agree with everything stated by Treme. Certainly, I did not intend my post(s) to be a "GOTCHA!! FOOLED YOU" sort of thing. I`ll apologize again if that was how it came across. No one deserves to have their choices of investment slammed in their face, and that is not what I sought out to do. I don`t believe it was what I wrote either, but will own the possibly that my wording was poor.

Hopefully this addresses any ambiguity in my posts for this thread. Please let me know if I`ve missed something, and one last time, I am very sorry if anything I posted offended, angered, or appeared to belittle/criticize others investment in MF or any other theme. Please forgive me if this was the case, and I`m going to try and better word what I`m saying in the future so this does not happen again. 

• Like 3

I assume this was intended for me? Gonna try and respond to this in point form.

1) I don`t believe I said that HD was a poor investment. If I recall correctly, what I said was that the availability of HD will likely result in more time for it to gain value, if it is still readily available at retail. I own a few of these myself (5 to be exact), so it would be contradictory for me to say that it was a poor investment if I`ve happily purchased some. They will be a good investment in my opinion, so if something I wrote has been interpreted differently, then I`m sorry. Lord of the Rings will likely be very good, and HD & Orc Forge are probably going to be the front runners for the theme.

2) Also, I don`t believe said, and certainly did not intend to communicate that just because a set (specifically MF in this case) is still around that it would be a poor investment. What I was trying to say is that it will likely take more time to grow in value given the apparent concentration of sets. More time does not go to say it is bad. It just means what it says: more time. And also, I don`t believe sets (specifically VC) will grow to the value that many have claimed in the time many have suggested (I`m referring to people who have said they believe it to be a $200 by this time next near). That could very well happen, but all I was stating is that I don`t believe it to be the case at this point. I`m happy to have those who don`t agree say "I told you so" should this become a reality. Live and learn!

3) I looked back at my previous posts in this thread. Not sure where that idea came from? I never mentioned TRU having a display of any kind??

4) Alright, I own that perhaps my wording was not what it could have/should have been. I am sincerely sorry if what I posted offended anyone or came across as "putting down" or just being a blatant a**hole. It`s a bit of a problem in more way then one when I care about something. Tend to push a bit too hard. That`s not always right, and I am sorry to anyone/everyone that this may have effected. All that I intended was to voice an opinion, respectfully at that, and not to look down on anyone`s choice of investment. I am very grateful for this forum and the community of like-minded (in terms of invests) individuals I`ve come to know here. Honestly, there is no way that I would know 90% of what I do without being a part here. So thank you everyone. It is a learning experience, and by no means do I claim to know more then any given member. Honestly, there`s tons of you guys/girls on here that know way more then me. MF may do very, very well, and I`ll be left eating my socks for not buying any :banghead:

Please forgive me.

5) No Monster fighters at this point. May change my mind, but everything I`ve said goes to state why I have not purchased any up until this point. HD, I mentioned in this post that I own 5. Wish I bought more to be honest, so may still. I don`t know where anyone got the idea that I disliked these (maybe that`s my poor wording that you mentioned). I don`t think that. They should do very well, and I`ve said it before, and will again: Buy Helm`s Deeps!

This was not intended toward me I don`t believe, but would like to address a couple points from it.

I do not agree with everything stated by Treme. Certainly, I did not intend my post(s) to be a "GOTCHA!! FOOLED YOU" sort of thing. I`ll apologize again if that was how it came across. No one deserves to have their choices of investment slammed in their face, and that is not what I sought out to do. I don`t believe it was what I wrote either, but will own the possibly that my wording was poor.

Hopefully this addresses any ambiguity in my posts for this thread. Please let me know if I`ve missed something, and one last time, I am very sorry if anything I posted offended, angered, or appeared to belittle/criticize others investment in MF or any other theme. Please forgive me if this was the case, and I`m going to try and better word what I`m saying in the future so this does not happen again.

No need to apologize you have always been considerate and tactful in your posts so no worries there. Having said that, my post wasn't directed towards you it was meant for treme.

Why dont you show HARD, RELEVANT DATA that says MF is retiring.... neither of you can prove it so? Who says LEGO cannot carry it in online shop after its off the wholesale that emazers gets?

Do you have HARD RELEVANT DATA for that?

I find it funny when you guys ''attacked'' the guy saying that when neither of you has HARD RELEVANT DATA.... you're speculating just as much as he is....

And yes buying 1 year before EOL when you think it EOLs ''next month'' means you will have money tied 1 extra year.... and that is not your optimal choice.... and its worse than what you speculated.... simple as that!

I love when LEGO brings back stuff or does not retire them just so LEGO shows HARD RELEVANT DATA for people who claim they need it :)

Guest TabbyBoy

Well, at least they "officially" retired the set in the UK. Whether that means they will do the same in other markets remains to be seen, but I would assume it does.

Are you talking about this?

post-10054-0-80729200-1383910247.jpg

Why dont you show HARD, RELEVANT DATA that says MF is retiring.... neither of you can prove it so? Who says LEGO cannot carry it in online shop after its off the wholesale that emazers gets?

Do you have HARD RELEVANT DATA for that?

I find it funny when you guys ''attacked'' the guy saying that when neither of you has HARD RELEVANT DATA.... you're speculating just as much as he is....

And yes buying 1 year before EOL when you think it EOLs ''next month'' means you will have money tied 1 extra year.... and that is not your optimal choice.... and its worse than what you speculated.... simple as that!

I love when LEGO brings back stuff or does not retire them just so LEGO shows HARD RELEVANT DATA for people who claim they need it :)

Way to miss the entire point of my posts. Does it surprise you that most of my post agrees with yours?

I find it funny that you, of all members, are claiming I "attacked" another member when every other post you make is another velied attempt at being a jerk. I almost want to ask you to highlight the line where I "attacked" the earlier poster, but then it would get in the way of this thread mercifully ending.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I was talking about the Vampyre Castle. Should have been more specific.

That still available too, if you choose another product code:

post-10054-0-85330100-1383917274.jpg

I ordered 2 this week and they arrived the next day.  I also ordered 10 cheaper ones from Amazon DE at