9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

Man do I hear you, however, has the tide turned?

Just like many investment ventures, You go in and turn some profit, then you get greedy (should of double down), so you turn up the capital, Just like your scenario and many others.

And then Bam,  Something happens and all your investment goes flat. 

Im like on the verge of throwing down another chunk, because I see future Legos sale are going to get larger and larger and the sets that we acquire nowadays will be mint.

I have also come to a conclusion that You can't really loose in Legos (well, yes, only time).  I mean, the worst case scenario is that you get your money back!

Im sure I can sell HD in two years time for $140.

You do have a good point. And the market has changed, in the early 2000s you used to be able to buy ANY starwars lego set and sell it for 300-400% profit in 1 year. Now if you can get 100% ROI in 1-2 years youre doing good. Like you mentioned though even if the set doesnt have aftermarket popularity it will always hold the value of the pieces. thats why im so big on buying sets at discount, if i can get something for 20-30% discount i know worst case scenario i will probably be able to sell it for near retail and get my money back. Like many people here i do worry about the ever growing number of lego investors as well as the growing aggressive stance lego is taking to shut down resellers/investors but at the same time the popularity of the toy is ever growing, lego is now the second largest toy manufacturer world wide, lego is not the next beanie baby fad, its literally a part of our culture, every kid in the world knows what legos are (maybe not those in third world countries :-/ ) for right now and in the near future (1-2 years) i foresee lego being a decent investment, not the hidden gem it used to be but still many times better than any stock ive ever invested in!

You do have a good point. And the market has changed, in the early 2000s you used to be able to buy ANY starwars lego set and sell it for 300-400% profit in 1 year. Now if you can get 100% ROI in 1-2 years youre doing good. Like you mentioned though even if the set doesnt have aftermarket popularity it will always hold the value of the pieces. thats why im so big on buying sets at discount, if i can get something for 20-30% discount i know worst case scenario i will probably be able to sell it for near retail and get my money back. Like many people here i do worry about the ever growing number of lego investors as well as the growing aggressive stance lego is taking to shut down resellers/investors but at the same time the popularity of the toy is ever growing, lego is now the second largest toy manufacturer world wide, lego is not the next beanie baby fad, its literally a part of our culture, every kid in the world knows what legos are (maybe not those in third world countries :-/ ) for right now and in the near future (1-2 years) i foresee lego being a decent investment, not the hidden gem it used to be but still many times better than any stock ive ever invested in!

Really lego fighting the investor is good for current smart investors as well. Bring on the challenge!

The VC is officially labeled as retired on the aussie/nz and 2nd tier euro LEGO Shop at Home sites. It does not get more concrete than that. Keep an eye on those sites as TLG always retires product there first and gives a nice big heads up to US investors. Once a set is labeled as retired it is done for good and whatever is left in the wild is it, no exceptions. Sold out means just that, temporarily sold out. Retiring soon means retiring sometime within the next 6 mos - 5 years lol. Until the label changes to "retired product" somewhere on the planet there is nothing concrete, although next years wholesale catalog is always a very good indicator.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Heads Up.

Going to get more VC tommorow. 

Let us Know when HD gets that Label.

No need to rush out and buy just because a set will be retiring. There are ALOT of VC left in the wild and should be available for a least a few months after the new year. TRU has a habit of holding onto retired sets for many months (e.***. 5771 or 8043)....TRU had those sets for 6 months after they were gone everywhere else. 

It might pay to wait to see what BF has to offer. LEGO Shop at Home is getting a shipment of VC prior to BF. If they discount the set plus offer 40083 plus bonus VP that may be the better deal. Also don't forget there are 4 exclusive "10xxx" sets retiring this year so they may be better investments as well.

It might pay to wait to see what BF has to offer. LEGO Shop at Home is getting a shipment of VC prior to BF. If they discount the set plus offer 40083 plus bonus VP that may be the better deal. Also don't forget there are 4 exclusive "10xxx" sets retiring this year so they may be better investments as well.

That's a bold statement to log off with... Are these sets marked retired on the Aus/NZ & 2nd tier euro sites, like the VC? Are you just speculating? Are you going to elaborate, or should we play charades?

Way to miss the entire point of my posts. Does it surprise you that most of my post agrees with yours?

I find it funny that you, of all members, are claiming I "attacked" another member when every other post you make is another velied attempt at being a jerk. I almost want to ask you to highlight the line where I "attacked" the earlier poster, but then it would get in the way of this thread mercifully ending.

Point is you want him to post HARD RELEVANT DATA.... about something thats impossible to prove.... but you have no counter proof of HARD RELEVANT DATA for anything being discontinued either....

You (as community) attacked me when i said it would be funny if Orc Forge returns and many said thats impossible and guess what its up back in stock... (or it came atleast)

both are speculation and I find it harsh when so many people ''attack'' anyone that goes against ''common'' logic that sets are discontinuing 

People who claim those conpsiracy theories (or whatever) are just as logical as your EOL dates.... (how good it went for DS right?) 

I hate when someone on LEGO investing asks for HARD RELEVANT DATA, when its obvious it cannot be provided... but neither can it be provided that LEGO is NOT doing whatever someone claims.... so since neither can prove I think both can have their opinion without numerous bursts of members calling  out the guys speculation

Point is you want him to post HARD RELEVANT DATA.... about something thats impossible to prove.... but you have no counter proof of HARD RELEVANT DATA for anything being discontinued either....

You (as community) attacked me when i said it would be funny if Orc Forge returns and many said thats impossible and guess what its up back in stock... (or it came atleast)

both are speculation and I find it harsh when so many people ''attack'' anyone that goes against ''common'' logic that sets are discontinuing 

People who claim those conpsiracy theories (or whatever) are just as logical as your EOL dates.... (how good it went for DS right?) 

I hate when someone on LEGO investing asks for HARD RELEVANT DATA, when its obvious it cannot be provided... but neither can it be provided that LEGO is NOT doing whatever someone claims.... so since neither can prove I think both can have their opinion without numerous bursts of members calling  out the guys speculation

Well I think when they talk about EOL dates they are referencing hard relevant data  - in that this is how most sets have acted and performed in the past. The Conspiracy theories are backed by nothing. So thats the difference, right?

I mean, not saying some of them don't have some possible merit, but they sure as hell don't stack up to all of the different Lego sets we have seen do exactly this and then retire.

There are some degrees of social ineptitude and factual failure looking at...

...a little random speculation or

...stating things as if they were facts without support or

...posting mean-spirited hopes that other forum members will be financially harmed or disappointed

I find the first interesting and worth reading and discussing; the second quite annoying; and the third just pathetic. We see them all in the forum, and some posters lean more toward one degree or another.

Guest TabbyBoy

Too many of us are throwing our toys out of the pram.  Time will tell whether this set or any other for that matter goes EOL this year or not.  I just buy according to my gut instinct and what I read on here and other forums.  I understand that we sometimes have a go at each other as we are actually competitors at the end of the day, right?

Too many of us are throwing our toys out of the pram.  Time will tell whether this set or any other for that matter goes EOL this year or not.  I just buy according to my gut instinct and what I read on here and other forums.  I understand that we sometimes have a go at each other as we are actually competitors at the end of the day, right?

It's actually just that simple, only maybe not quite as narrow a definition of "competitor" as you probably meant.

Humans are terrible bickerers, and the internet brings out some of the worst in most of us.

So, yes, some of us are competing for market share in Lego reselling, but way beyond that we're just competitive for position, standing, pack order if you will. And there are some natural divisions - on some level many professionals look down on amateurs, experts on novices, the haves on the have-nots, and most certainly vice-versa is true. Class warfare is as alive and well here as anywhere on the globe.  :twitch:

You're a smart guy, how can you continue to miss the forest for the trees here?

Let me recap: Treme claimed he had 'proof' of a conspiracy, going as far as saying his little "story" wasn't a theory because HE HAD EVIDENCE.  Then he went on to yap about some "new display" that no one else has seen, pointed to sets that were "Out of Stock" coming back, and gave us Battle of Endor set's retirement as a checklist that pointed to some vast TLG conspiracy.

Through his little travel through conspiracy-land, he managed to make some patronizing comments.  I called him out on both his claims of evidence and his comments I took exception to. 

The common consensus of VC (and the entire MF theme) and HD retirement is that they're going this year.  This is backed by a number of actual, tried and true indicators including emazers wholesale report, EOL designations in NZ/Aus, and dwindling inventory at almost all retailers.  Did I say it was guaranteed these were done?  NO.  Could it last another year?  While anything is possible, it was Treme who claimed he had evidence to the contrary - that's why I asked for it.

Why are you trying to defend this guy? Because some members not involved in this conversation took exception to a post you made four months ago that turned out to be right and that you've already gloated over? Get over it.

For the record, I have never attacked you and I didn't attack Treme.  I called him out on some unfounded proclamations and his patronizing comments.  If you have an issue with other members of the "community", address it with them.  Until then, I suggest you stop playing Robin Hood for members that don't need or deserve it.

• Like 4

It's actually just that simple, only maybe not quite as narrow a definition of "competitor" as you probably meant.

Humans are terrible bickerers, and the internet brings out some of the worst in most of us.

So, yes, some of us are competing for market share in Lego reselling, but way beyond that we're just competitive for position, standing, pack order if you will. And there are some natural divisions - on some level many professionals look down on amateurs, experts on novices, the haves on the have-nots, and most certainly vice-versa is true. Class warfare is as alive and well here as anywhere on the globe.  :twitch:

The worst part of this whole situation (IMO) is that it was all started by a newbie-troll that only has three total posts on this site. There is too much camaraderie on this site for someone to come in and turn everyone against each other (only to disappear and have everyone continue taking shots at each other).

I just don't see the point ever in laughing at someone elses bad decisions and failures.

Even "I told you so" shouldn't be used most of the time. What is there to gloat about?

Neither of these are bad decisions, but for anyone to come say "haha you chose wrong" is childish and weak. If you get joy out of that, or defending someone like that - well I feel sorry for you, because you really are living in a pretty pathetic world if that brings you joy.

Kind of wish this thread would die. A bunch of these posts are just talking about whether or not someone was mean to someone else. I am investing in VCs. If someone thinks it is dumb I want to hear their opinion and I will take it all with a grain a salt. If someone thinks it is smart to invest in VCs I will take that with a grain of salt as well. But either way I only value any of your opinions as much as I value the random stranger anywhere on the internet. Thanks.