7939 and 7938 Near Retirement??

brickelements

With the New Passenger and Cargo Train out in the wild these sets (IMO) have a very limited shelf life left.

Are the new ones better, perhaps.  But that is not the question to be asking.

If you can find a discount, can you make mad Lego cash on the retireing sets?

That my Lego friends is the question worth asking.

Lego is nearly sold out of both.  We have seen sets go from sold out directly to retirement.

I don't see a lot of business sense in keeping the old stock around for TLG.

For once Toys R Us does not have them in stock online.

BTW Walmart online still has both (7939 - 7938) in stock slightly less than retail +TAX...at those prices not a great deal

I do expect some appreciation from the Train collectors late to the game.

Probably not a double from current retail prices.  However if you were able to acquire your stock any of the times when they were on sale you should get a solid double 7939 (120 - 240.00), 7938 (85 - 170)

First price represents where I have seen them discounted too...second price is where I expect them to end up.

I might be underesstimating a little.  Not sure yet.

I expect them to retire soon as well. I think they were both pretty decent sets. So i bought two of both for investment. I am not to thrilled about the new trains. The new white passenger train looks exactly the same as the old ice train. The new freight train is ok. I like the loc and the animal wagon. But I already have enough of the vehicles it includes. Nothing new there. The new train station looks just fine though. This one I will buy at a later stage. 

If I find some of the retiring trains on sale I will buy some more. I think they will appreciate slowly but nicely.

Yes, they will do well. Some people love hate the new train colors and design, so those who missed out and collect trains, will want these that are retiring.

If you do a search on all the older train sets, they all do great after retirement!

The tricky part is finding them anywhere in store to be picked up for the discount TRU is doing...

Good luck!

You can still order 99 in the UK so they've got a way to go yet. I'd only buy at -40%+

If indeed there are still many on stock it does not have to be a bad thing. Cause if shops have many left the discounts will be higher cause they need to unload them.

I am wondering if and when shop@home will start to put them on sale. Hoping for 50% sale.

I would agree that after typical selling fees there is not much room for gowth in the cargo train.

However the passenger train will do ok, not great just ok.

for those in on 7938 at 90 or less I think a double minus fees will be there.

As far as the cargo train 230ish or a little less is the target price.

Seems like the price for the retiring trains is dropping on shop@home uk and nl

Leave some for me!

-30% here on our LEGO Shop at Home

Not bad if you also consider the VIP points and maybe the free polybag.

Well, I already got some (with 40% off), so I pass, but it's still a good deal. :)

edit: oops ! no more available now on our shop ! as I thought...

Guest TabbyBoy

It seems like 7938 & 7939 are done, at least in the UK.  LEGO Shop at Home shows "Sold Out" with no availability date.  Not before time!

You need to be quick on these sales, if you snooze, you lose.

Then again "Sold Out" still means there's a remote possibility of a return as I'm still hanging on for more Mars Rovers.

Walmart.com still has 7939 just below retail 174.94.

http://linksynergy.walmart.com/fs-bin/click?id=jfOcdvfTNg4&subid;=&offerid=223073.1&type=10&tmpid=1082&RD_PARM1=www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-City-Cargo-Train-Play-Set/20552226

Mods can you change this to an affiliate link please - thank you.

Thanks, I edited your link to include affiliate info.

Guest TabbyBoy

It seems like they're done in the UK as Tesco no longer have them on their order form.  I'm going to keep an eye on eBay prices for a few weeks and then get some "Super Sets" together comprised of:

7938 Passenger Train

7939 Cargo Train

7895 Switching Tracks

7499 Flexible Tracks

7937 Train Station

One sold for

It seems like 7938 & 7939 are done, at least in the UK.  LEGO Shop at Home shows "Sold Out" with no availability date.  Not before time!

You need to be quick on these sales, if you snooze, you lose.

Then again "Sold Out" still means there's a remote possibility of a return as I'm still hanging on for more Mars Rovers.

It would be extremely confusing on Lego part to produce two sets of trains concurrently, given that new trains are already out

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Seems like EOL is the next step as this normally follows "Sold Out" in the UK.  I think "Retired Product" will only appear once back-orders are fulfilled.  Only available for >RRP at TRU.  I have about 15 of each and plan to sell as "Super Sets" together with station, points and flexi track.  Can't wait as these take up a lot of space.

I don't think either will be around long.  Like someone else mentioned, there's no for reason to keep two sets of trains in production.  Also, Toys R Us is usually the last retailer to be left hanging onto old sets, and they've already clearance theirs.

I know there's a pretty wide gap between the investors and parter-outers on this site, but you guys might want to think about splitting this one up.  Current part-out value is about $250, and it's easy to do- you only have to open bag 2 to get the switches for the switch plates.  I got 5 if these at TRS clearance for $110 each;  I've had them listed for two weeks, and I've already sold enough to break even.   Those sales are also just from the trains/train cars/crane, I haven't gotten listings for track sections up yet.