Asda Direct Random Deals

Yellowtot

Guest TabbyBoy

I left the OH as I see no mojo in it, the only Friends set I buy now is the Dolphin Cruiser which was recently half price at Kiddicare. At time of type Asda still have the Heavy Lift Helicopter and Fire Rescue at half price, not biting as CITY sets not worth the hassle. Anyhow these are produced by the Maerk 3E load and regularly discounted nearly everywhere.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Didn't want to derail the UK deals thread with this OT (so I'll do it to this one instead) but I'm actually shocked now how quickly any reasonable deal is wiping out stock.  Ecto 1 from TRU yesterday and Final Duel at Asda today.
Was this already the case last year? Wondering if Lego has recently become so popular as an investment (i cant see joe public being that on the ball fro these deals to get much of the discounted stock) that no deal lasts long at all.

22 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Didn't want to derail the UK deals thread with this OT (so I'll do it to this one instead) but I'm actually shocked now how quickly any reasonable deal is wiping out stock.  Ecto 1 from TRU yesterday and Final Duel at Asda today.
Was this already the case last year? Wondering if Lego has recently become so popular as an investment (i cant see joe public being that on the ball fro these deals to get much of the discounted stock) that no deal lasts long at all.

Online stuff has always moved quickly, particularly once it’s on HDUK, but sure it’s not lasting as long as last year.   But it’s no surprise really where I am it’s pretty much impossible to find anything with more than a 20% discount in store.  Argos in perma OOS, Smyths don’t last day.  I’m more or less reliant on online now, sure others are too.    

To expand a little I noticed a huge difference after the summer break.  The later 2 Argos 3-2 were a wash and Smyth a none event, empty shelves abound.  More retailers are getting quicker and smarter, culling discounts much quicker, holding less stock or lowering buy limits.  I’m pretty much only buying from Asda, Tesco and Johnlewis now and Johnlewis are getting tougher as they are pulling items completely or going OOS when they price match.  Tesco’s clubcard bonus are much weaker.  Amazon price match limits seem to be one or two.    We’ll see what happens this year, but it could get tough to get stock and if the rumoured Argos take over happens the 3-2 could go and with that the Amazon price match.    

• Like 1

As well as more people coming into the market, I think you also need to look at the type of person that is coming in. As someone mentioned in a separate thread since the usual investment routes are today a lot riskier and / or pay s lower return than normal (e.g. Equity, Bond, Fx markets in turmoil and record low interest rates, property markets looking toppy) people are looking to diversify and if Lego can provide a 10% annual return who is going to say no! Your typicall hedge fund for institutional clients returns 6 % if you're lucky. These people have lots of clash and can drop a few thousand without blinking an eye on 20-30 sets when a good deal comes along. Trust me! Whether returns in the past can be sustained, well that's the key question!

Thanks gents. this is actually quite interesting.  Honestly I thought it would just be small time players who heard of big returns scoping up the sets.  I didnt actually think there would be bigger players to the game flush with cash.  If that's the case then what happens when the markets return (or if).  Will they just dump the stock???  Defo a topic for another thread but good to know that my opinion that things have changed is not a million miles off.

Interesting that Poes x-wing is still available though.  Maybe people are smarter then i'd give them credit for and realise that this early in a set life cycle its likely they'll be similar deals later in the year so no need to lock up capital now.