10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

so there's no way to determine it from the lego/amazon shipping box.  there is a barcode, p/n label on the outside of the shipping box.

how much of a price difference is there from 10,000 to general release?

Did you buy it from amazon personally? Sounds like you are quite worried that opening the shipping box will diminish the value. This set is likely the holy grail of investing and building so it wont make a difference if the shipping box  sealed or not. collectors and investors dont care about the shipping box. The real prize is whats inside........are you gonna sell it?

• Like 1

thanks for all your responses.  other thought i had was, what if I open it from the shipping box and find the Lego box damaged.  wouldn't it be worth more still in the shipping box, showing it pristine and no creases or damages.  this would make anyone assume the lego box inside is also pristine.  

to answer someone's question, yes i am thinking about selling it since the price on it seemed to plateau'd now.  it's been around the $3000 mark for over a year but previously it was going up in value every quarter/6 months.

what are everyone's thoughts on value of this in 1, 3 or 5 more years?

tks,

If you don't want to build it I would sell it possibly around or before Christmas. I love this set I have a good lego budget and I just can't justify buying this at the cost its at now. I just don't see it growing that much more (just my opinion). If Lego did remake this (not likely anytime in the near future) I think this is one set that would plummet in value (if Lego did a remake right). Its just a huge amount to spend on one set. Your going to make a major profit you can use on other things if that is what you want to do.

Personally, I agree that the value of this set seems to have leveled off.  I think if you sold it for around $3000 and reinvested it in newer sets that are nearing EOL, I believe you would get a much greater return on investment.

I just don't see 10179 doubling in value to $6000 in the next couple years.

thanks for all your responses.  other thought i had was, what if I open it from the shipping box and find the Lego box damaged.  wouldn't it be worth more still in the shipping box, showing it pristine and no creases or damages.  this would make anyone assume the lego box inside is also pristine.  

to answer someone's question, yes i am thinking about selling it since the price on it seemed to plateau'd now.  it's been around the $3000 mark for over a year but previously it was going up in value every quarter/6 months.

what are everyone's thoughts on value of this in 1, 3 or 5 more years?

tks,

I see what you're worried about, but personally, I personally wouldn't purchase something that was still in the shipping box without proof of what was inside, especially at about a $3000 clip.  Because as you yourself mentioned, "what if the box inside is messed up?"  I would think a potential buyer would have that same question for you.  As others have said, you're not decreasing the value by taking it out of the shipping box, just do it carefully.  Take pictures, and put it back in for safekeeping.  If it was me, I would sell it at some point, probably near Christmas, and turn around and buy a bunch of near EOL sets that are bound to make a return faster than 10179, even though it's not doing shabby either. 

Why would you want that old 10179...I'll trade you for a shiney new 7965.  :)

Open the box...its a shipping box.  The box that anyone is concerned with is the Factory sealed box, not the one that got taped up at the distribution center.  You could always reseal that one (and probably will have to when it is time to ship.)  I would personally want a picture of the ACTUAL set before I bought something for $2-$3 thousand.

yeah I forgot to mention that lol........leave the Lego box as it is,  its not worth opening it to see what number you have if it is in fact a first run. I wonder who has numer 1 and if they even know it??

When they came out I remember thinking #1138 would be a cool number to have, or maybe #1977.  I would think those numbers might have been sold to the public and would command a premium...

• 1 month later...

While the update runs, I start looking into how the data is coming out.  I usually pull up a few known sets to see how everything is working.  I just pulled some numbers on the #10179 Falcon to see what's going on there.  Overall, I am fairly surprised to see that over the past 2 months, 87 Falcons found a new home.  It's amazing how they keep shifting around and to see that so many people are craving this set and willing to part with a nice chunk of cash to get one.

Here are a few numbers:

eBay US: 51  (Avg price: $2364.02)
eBay EU: 17  (Avg price: $2266.05)
eBay UK: 15  (Avg price: $2379.40)
eBay AU:   4  (Avg price: $2527.96)

Total cost of purchased UCS Falcons during this period: $204,891.16

Some of you may say that 87 sets is not a lot, but I am looking at the amount of people shelling out well over $2000 for one set, to me that is quite a few in a short time.

I will NEVER buy a 10179 for the prices they are going for.  (Unless I win the lottery, but then I would have a nice Lego room to show off.)  

That being said, this is pretty interesting to see.  I wonder what people will do when the new UCS Falcon is released next year?  (I actually expect it to be 2015)

While the update runs, I start looking into how the data is coming out.  I usually pull up a few known sets to see how everything is working.  I just pulled some numbers on the #10179 Falcon to see what's going on there.  Overall, I am fairly surprised to see that over the past 2 months, 87 Falcons found a new home.  It's amazing how they keep shifting around and to see that so many people are craving this set and willing to part with a nice chunk of cash to get one.

Here are a few numbers:

eBay US: 51  (Avg price: $2364.02)
eBay EU: 17  (Avg price: $2266.05)
eBay UK: 15  (Avg price: $2379.40)
eBay AU:   4  (Avg price: $2527.96)

Total cost of purchased UCS Falcons during this period: $204,891.16

Some of you may say that 87 sets is not a lot, but I am looking at the amount of people shelling out well over $2000 for one set, to me that is quite a few in a short time.

That's awesome! 

I will NEVER buy a 10179 for the prices they are going for.  (Unless I win the lottery, but then I would have a nice Lego room to show off.)  

That being said, this is pretty interesting to see.  I wonder what people will do when the new UCS Falcon is released next year?  (I actually expect it to be 2015)

I dont think that new UCS Falcon can be re-released very soon. The only one UCS set, which was re-released, is X-wing from 2000, 13 years after first edition. The UCS falcon was released just in 2007, it would be extremly quick re-edition after just 8 years (or 6 years after EOL). Another factor against quick re-edition is that there is another iconic set, which is older than Falcon - ISD from 2002. If TLC plan further re-editions, ISD should go before new falcon. Anyway, TLC cannot make just re-editions every second year - they need also produce new sets, re-edition is just occasional matter.