10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

People are expecting a new 10179 to be released because of the new SW movies, so I think people are starting to think twice before buying this now.

Blackjack, there definitely could be another re-release, but it probably won't be of the same scale as 10179. And won't make the value of the current MF drop.

1.) It is a huge set to build and the only Lego set to be priced at $500.

2.) Even if it was re-released, it would be way smaller than since this is the LARGEST SET by dimensions, and the second largest by piece count (second only to the 10189 Taj Mahal).

3.) Old versions of sets have still held value even if a newer version was released.

Two different paths here: Path A: New STAR WARS movie is released in 2-3 years and a new and large version of the UCS 10179 is released. The current version stops appreciating and drops in value, maybe dramatically. Path B: New STAR WARS movie is releases in 2-3 years and another smaller version of the Falcon is released, nothing similar to the 10179. If the Falcon plays a large role in the new movie and with no real comparable set, the 10179 can hit levels never imaginable. I'm choosing to hold onto my two 10179s...

I'm not sure why we should expect another UCS Falcon, just bc of the new SW movies. Han will have long since retired from his "pirating" by episode 7, and since he would most likely be in a cameo role, why would they even feature the Falcon? I don't know any more than anyone else, but I expect to see new vehicles, new worlds, and (for the most part) new characters in the new trilogy. I think the latest UCS X-wing just has people spooked about it...

I just can't imagine how much more than can alter the current model into a newer model unless they redo the interior. That being said a new UCS X Wing was released, but in this instance yes, it was a rerelease of a UCS already made, but it was made into a specific ship, Red Five. If the set was a UCS YT1300 Freighter (nerd speak) then it would make sense for them to release a follow up UCS Millenium Falcon and be specific about it this time. These are the thoughts of the person that refers to his 10179 as his 'retirement falcon' lol so naturally I have to be in the boat of there can be only one...UCS Millenium Falcon. I also think the UCS Millenium Falcon is more for the Star War/Lego collecting completist, not for your everyday collector because of the price and the lack of playability. This is no Death Star. Even if a new UCS was released for the collector that has to have it all the original UCS Falcon will still be the one that got away.

I'm not sure why we should expect another UCS Falcon, just bc of the new SW movies. Han will have long since retired from his "pirating" by episode 7, and since he would most likely be in a cameo role, why would they even feature the Falcon? I don't know any more than anyone else, but I expect to see new vehicles, new worlds, and (for the most part) new characters in the new trilogy. I think the latest UCS X-wing just has people spooked about it...

They are also having movies about individual characters, one of which is likely to be Han Solo and probably would include his ship.

Two different paths here:

Path A: New STAR WARS movie is released in 2-3 years and a new and large version of the UCS 10179 is released. The current version stops appreciating and drops in value, maybe dramatically.

Path B: New STAR WARS movie is releases in 2-3 years and another smaller version of the Falcon is released, nothing similar to the 10179. If the Falcon plays a large role in the new movie and with no real comparable set, the 10179 can hit levels never imaginable.

I'm choosing to hold onto my two 10179s...

Now that Lego have decided that it is ok to re-release the UCS sets - Why wouldn't they re-release the Falcon?

I understand not wanting to let go of the crown jewel, but at this point the upside is limited & the downside is a bit dangerous. Even if they never re-release it (which they will) - the 3k could certainly go somewhere else with greater gains potential & almost no downside risk.

Now that Lego have decided that it is ok to re-release the UCS sets - Why wouldn't they re-release the Falcon?

I understand not wanting to let go of the crown jewel, but at this point the upside is limited & the downside is a bit dangerous. Even if they never re-release it (which they will) - the 3k could certainly go somewhere else with greater gains potential & almost no downside risk.

Exactly!

If i got the MF at like retail price long ago, I would sell it as soon as it hit mark 2000 for sure. But that is just me, I doubt new movie will drive the price higher unless it features MF in heavy role like old trilogy which i sincerley doubt

I would say without confirmation that there is going to be a new one released at one point it's hard to let go of the biggest and best of your collection. I would be admittedly insane not to sell it considering how much I could get for it, but one of the hardest parts is that I may never be able to get it again. I spent the money back then fully intent on keeping it and content with the price I paid for it, I really like the MF. I never expected it to appreciate in value the way it has.

JJ Abrams created a shiny new Enterprise for his Trek movie, without a doubt we'll be getting an updated "more shiny" Falcon, probably piloted by Han and Leia's kid and with modifications made in the decades since the end of the Empire. Abrams would be a fool to just toss the Falcon out. So Disney will meet with Lego and decide which sets to put out. And the point about the standalone movie is good...they will almost definitely make standalone Solo, Boba Fett, and Yoda movies. That could mean a new, huge Slave 1.

JJ Abrams created a shiny new Enterprise for his Trek movie, without a doubt we'll be getting an updated "more shiny" Falcon, probably piloted by Han and Leia's kid and with modifications made in the decades since the end of the Empire.

Abrams would be a fool to just toss the Falcon out.

So Disney will meet with Lego and decide which sets to put out.

And the point about the standalone movie is good...they will almost definitely make standalone Solo, Boba Fett, and Yoda movies. That could mean a new, huge Slave 1.

I agree if/when they do a Han Solo film, the Falcon would of course be featured in some way, so that would be an avenue to attract OT fans. As for ep.7-9, don't forget that Abrams did not write those, Lucas did -- so JJ doesn't really have a say in if the Falcon appears or not.

This is just my opinion. If I was really smart, safe and practical, I would have started unloading all of my UCS and older STAR WARS sets awhile ago. My view is to let it ride...I like owning them. I don't recommend anyone follow my strategy for maximizing profits.

I'd ideally like two MFs - one to keep, and the other to appreciate in value to the point where selling it would pay for the one I'm keeping. Did anyone here do that? It seems the consensus is that the value will probably hold unless the set is re-released, so for 10179 - why wouldn't lego re-release the same model and charge two or three times the original asking price for it? Collectors who missed out the first time will jump at it even if it was a four-figure sum, and investors would see what happened to the last one and probably buy several to hang onto for 5 years or so after EOL (end of life?). What about 10030? These seem to be hitting the

I'd ideally like two MFs - one to keep, and the other to appreciate in value to the point where selling it would pay for the one I'm keeping. Did anyone here do that?

It seems the consensus is that the value will probably hold unless the set is re-released, so for 10179 - why wouldn't lego re-release the same model and charge two or three times the original asking price for it? Collectors who missed out the first time will jump at it even if it was a four-figure sum, and investors would see what happened to the last one and probably buy several to hang onto for 5 years or so after EOL (end of life?).

What about 10030? These seem to be hitting the

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure it's nice to have one of the first run of 10,000 with the certificate, but what I have never heard is how many were made AFTER the first run. Theoretically, those could be more "rare" that the "limited edition". If I were buying one now, I wouldn't pay more just for the certificate though. It's not like it's gold plated or anything -- just a piece of paper, plus the logo missing from the outside box. Big whoop dee doo...

• 1 month later...