21017 - Imperial Hotel

Guest idunno101

They might have put the IH on sale for cyber monday 20% off and it went sold out (early)........Not Retired but just sold out from inventory.

Because Brandenburg just went sold out @ (20% off) 

IH sold out quicker due to its price point $102 with free gingerbread house....
Not so sure now, bc Bradenburg shows the discount on the page.

Ok, Brandenburg should be gone,  don't think i ever saw a discounted set coming back.

Now, On the other hand, IH might come back.

Edited by Miami Bomb Squad

1 hour ago, dcdfan said:

4 new ones coming & 2 more slated next. They gotta make room for the new stuff...

Nothing shocking here...

It wasn't the number that is odd it is that they chose different sets in each market

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2015 at 1:48 PM, MarxMarvelous said:

It wasn't the number that is odd it is that they chose different sets in each market

I'm wagering (with investment dollars) that the markets will align on retired architecture sets within 4-6 months, max. Hopefully...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Veegs said:

I'm wagering (with investment dollars) that the markets will align on retired architecture sets within 4-6 months, max. Hopefully...

I agree with you on that.  Plus, anyone buying at 103 or lower on the IH will easily get their money back if they hold their cards.  This will be the fourth Frank Lloyd Wright set, and the other 3 have shown excellent returns so far.  Anyone that bought Fallingwaters, Robie House, or Guggenheim's and held them beyond a year are sitting pretty.  It's looking like Fallingwater will hit 300.00 by next year.  It's already around 210 on amazon.  Not bad for a set that you could pick up into april of last year.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Basictoaster said:

Has anyone had any success negotiating a price reduction for damaged box at BAM? They have one in my local store but the box looks like it was punted across the stock room.

I haven't but have heard other have success getting at least some VIP points. Depends on the store and manager I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Last known production was week 16 of 2015, retired product yet still available in many shops for below RRP and loads of listings on Ebay. This one might be the first Architecture set not to make any decent gains as it lacks the appeal of FW - advance warning of retirement via the BF/CM sale did it no favours compared with Villa Savoye or UN Building.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Last known production was week 16 of 2015, retired product yet still available in many shops for below RRP and loads of listings on Ebay. This one might be the first Architecture set not to make any decent gains as it lacks the appeal of FW - advance warning of retirement via the BF/CM sale did it no favours compared with Villa Savoye or UN Building.

Or maybe just a less popular product? It was also almost double the retail price of VS, surely that has some bearing.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Less popular + more hoarded makes for a bad mix. The best thing about VS is it went so quietly here that there was little opportunity to hoard it. With IH, people had months of warning.

I can still find the Villa Savoye at local Barnes & Noble here. Enough that I had to stop buying them. I thought I had bought up all the local stock then, a few weeks ago, more appeared.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Less popular + more hoarded makes for a bad mix. The best thing about VS is it went so quietly here that there was little opportunity to hoard it. With IH, people had months of warning.

I'm not sure if the IH was really horded. The herd has been stampeding Sea Cows, PS, and Tumblers, no time to bother with architecture sets.

I've yet to see a architecture set do poorly 1 year EOL. They seem to fly below the radar. Granted the larger sets take longer to appreciate.

I "Try" to limit myself to exclusives, modulars, Ideas, expensive Technics (not because they are the best investments but because I love them) and Architecture. And a few random sets over the $100 price point. I have 180 architecture sets in my Brickfolio ranging from early hancock building (before Lego made it mainstream) to Sugnymen (sp??) to Robie/Falling Water, Burj (already sold about a dozen of the original Burj models for $70 - 80 - I was worried the new model would kill the value of the 20 Burj sets I had. Can't complain about tripling the investment on those) to current models. Really trying to stocking up on White house and Eiffel Tower now. I believe these will do very well EOL. And a lot of Architecture sets have gone Sold out recently (Imperial Hotel, Villa Savoye, UN Headquarters, Brandenburg Gate, Leaning TOwer, Space Needle). I believe Leaning Tower will do well as it was not available for very long. Might be a bit of a sleeper like Sugnymen (sp??).

My 2 cents....

• Like 1