Guardians of the Galaxy

BrickSellerPlus

movie is up there with the Avengers, I liked it better than Thor,Captain America, the last 2 Iron Man, I just don't see how anybody can say that it wasn't good, sure over the top, etc but 99% Action. I guess my favorite in order is Starlord, Rocket, Gamora, Groot, Drax. Like I said IMAX 3D is the way to go. I forgot to rate the Movie so a 9/10. Ed

• Like 1

Just got home from the theater - saw it in 3D, but not IMAX (don't have one). LOVED IT! I'm a comic book guy, but never got in to Guardians & didn't really know all that much about it going in. Plenty of action, good comedy (not cheesy), special effects were insane, acting was stellar, really no negatives for me. As far as the Lego sets go in relation to the movie, I think the Milano Spaceship could be bigger & more detailed, as it was pretty massive in the flick. The Groot maxi-figure is cool & makes sense to me now. I will pick some up down the road for myself, but still not sure about investments, as the sets just don't blow me away. Movie 4.5 stars out of 5. 

• Like 1

The movie rocks. I was really impressed. When I first found out about the movie I wasn't interested at all. But the closer the movie got and the more previews I saw and with the hype of the SDCC sets, I actually couldn't wait to see it. I can't wait now to get some of the sets and the minifigs. Not right now, but once they get discounted or have been out for a while, I'll be picking these sets up for sure. Go see it if you haven't. It won't disappoint.

I haven't seen the movie yet. Glad everyone is enjoying it.

I was a big Marvel fan as a teenager, and loved the Avengers and Captain America. I never followed GOTG. I don't even think this iteration of the team existed back in the 80s and 90s.

Of the Marvel movies so far, Cap 2 is by far my favorite. Obviously, Cap is more street level than outer space, but how does the movie compare?

I was a big Marvel fan as a teenager, and loved the Avengers and Captain America. I never followed GOTG. I don't even think this iteration of the team existed back in the 80s and 90s.

I'm used to the original team introduced in 1969 and became more prevalent afterwards in the 70s & so on. I have a couple of their issues somewhere.

GOTG.jpg

This current team was brought about a few years ago in 2008 so they are rather new to the scene and to me especially. Even though the group has changed considerable, I still want to see the movie regardless.

Warning,Be sure you are not late at the beginning of the movie, and they do show something after the 10 minute ending credits. But outside of that the movie was great, non stop action, great soundtrack, great acting by everybody. "And IMAX 3D is the way to see it" Ed

I echo everything Ed said here - saw it in IMAX 3D on Friday and it was phenomenal.  Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

So, the question remains, is this theme a worthy Lego investment?  I've stated this other places, with other movie-themed Lego sets and such, that you first and foremost have to ask yourself who the brand is targeted toward.  The movie is GREAT, but it has more of an edge than most Marvel movies.  So, LITTLE kids aren't probably going to see it.  There's a decent amount of language (nothing major, but a lot of minor), some sexual jokes, and a ton of violence.  So, it's not as kid-friendly as most Marvel-fare.  Therefore, it will be mostly teens and adults really targeting the Lego sets.  So, that narrows your target audience right away.  This is similar to the Lord of the Rings, Man of Steel (to a lesser extent) and the Batman movie themed sets.  Batman movie themed sets still sell because...well, its Batman.  But Guardians of the Galaxy?  Almost no one has ever heard of them (by the way, I actually have that comic posted a few posts above this one) stored away somewhere in my basement.  Bought it as a kid.  Anyway, I think there will be some demand for this theme, but not like most superhero sets.  That being said, the movie is SO good I think that more adult and teen collectors will be more ravenous about it.  So, my prediction is that Guardians of the Galaxy Lego sets will sell about on par with the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit themed sets.  Good, not great.  The movie, however, IS great.  Go see it!!!  IMAX style, if you can.  I'm personally hoping this theme takes off (and I'm wrong) and we get a few more sets.  Even so, the ones they made already are pretty cool. 

So, the question remains, is this theme a worthy Lego investment? I've stated this other places, with other movie-themed Lego sets and such, that you first and foremost have to ask yourself who the brand is targeted toward. The movie is GREAT, but it has more of an edge than most Marvel movies. So, LITTLE kids aren't probably going to see it. There's a decent amount of language (nothing major, but a lot of minor), some sexual jokes, and a ton of violence. So, it's not as kid-friendly as most Marvel-fare. Therefore, it will be mostly teens and adults really targeting the Lego sets. So, that narrows your target audience right away. This is similar to the Lord of the Rings, Man of Steel (to a lesser extent) and the Batman movie themed sets. Batman movie themed sets still sell because...well, its Batman. But Guardians of the Galaxy? Almost no one has ever heard of them (by the way, I actually have that comic posted a few posts above this one) stored away somewhere in my basement. Bought it as a kid. Anyway, I think there will be some demand for this theme, but not like most superhero sets. That being said, the movie is SO good I think that more adult and teen collectors will be more ravenous about it. So, my prediction is that Guardians of the Galaxy Lego sets will sell about on par with the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit themed sets. Good, not great. The movie, however, IS great. Go see it!!! IMAX style, if you can. I'm personally hoping this theme takes off (and I'm wrong) and we get a few more sets. Even so, the ones they made already are pretty cool.

Well, it has talking racoon... not sure what my point is,something to do with little kids... but it does have talking racoon. If LOTR had talking racoon...

the theater i saw it in was the biggest at that complex and was full ... and LOTS of kids ... they will want this set especially for Rocket and Groot ... out of the 3 sets out for GOTG the 2 biggest ones that will include the team and the villain will excell ...

already planning on being Groot for Halloween and dressing my 8 month old as Rocket ... haha ... will be awesome!!

• Like 2

the theater i saw it in was the biggest at that complex and was full ... and LOTS of kids ... they will want this set especially for Rocket and Groot ... out of the 3 sets out for GOTG the 2 biggest ones that will include the team and the villain will excell ...

already planning on being Groot for Halloween and dressing my 8 month old as Rocket ... haha ... will be awesome!!

I am Groot!

I'm sure some kids are seeing it, but my kids won't. Too dark at times, too much language and violence. I loved it, though. Just a little too much for kids in my opinion. I mean, groom impaled 30 people in that one scene.

I agree. I think people think it's just a super hero movie so it's all pretend good fun violence. Every movie has an age appropriate audience and this isn't appropriate for 6-10 year olds. It's PG-13 for a reason. I loved it as well.

That's something I never get, and even dislike. There is no one to give applause to in a movie theater. It is a movie, a recording. It is not a place to clap. I once even watched a movie where people clapped right between scenes, disturbing. Now - if one of the people involved in the movie would actually be there, that would be another issue ...

Sometimes people can't (and don't want to) control themselves and feel they have to applause to show they appreciated something. They could also shout "great movie!" but it would be useless too.

If you think about it, it's like when you laugh: you're laughing at a screen, there's no need to tell it you are happy.

Or when you look soccer on TV and yells "Hey mister ref are you blind ? Call a foul !" (I'm not sure the referee will hear you ^^)

Eveything is useless, but it's all about sharing feelings -and it seems people want to share the fact that they enjoyed the movie through applauses-

This tempts me even more to see this movie. :)

Ah ah ah I like it ! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it as well and liked it more than I thought I would. The Rocket minifig is hot right now and that set is worth parting out if that is your thing. A sequel is assured at this point and I wouldn't be surprised to see these characters pop up in some other Marvel movies. These sets will do well long term I think but I think they will be around for a while and I am waiting for better prices. 

My wife and I saw it earlier this week.

We enjoyed it.  Not my favorite MCU movie, but it was good.  A little violent for my wife.  It was fine, to me.  I enjoyed all the characters - I think Groot was my favorite overall.

I'll be curious to see GotG2, as well as seeing how this plays into the bigger MCU story.

I think it's over rated and have seen it twice. It's entertaining enough and decent fluff, and the kids will love it, but there's no substance to it. I never felt like I was pulled into the film or that there was ever any real danger of anything happening to anyone. Was I the only one bothered by how many innocent people our heroes were killing (like the prison guards who are doing a necessary and important job)? The acting was weak, even for a Marvel movie, with Zoe Saldana in particular being noticeably bad. And there were only 3 times when I really laughed at something, which is disappointing for something advertised for its comedy. That Jackson Pollock line was awesome though. Days of Future Past is comfortably perched on the throne of Best Movie of the Year so far IMHO, let alone best comic book movie.

What this means for Lego investing? Definitely buy the sets. There are only 2 and since all the main players are in them I don't see any more coming until the next movie in 3 years. Lots of time to buy and sell. I'll wait until these are on discount at my usual suspects and pick up a few. Being a comics guy (who buys the Guardians comic monthly) I will definitely get one of each for personal play and display. When am I otherwise ever going to get a lego raccoon? Might have my lego Ent from Tower of Orthanc wrestle with Groot.