Are Mixels a good investment?

work4fbi2

Is there a box breakdown similar to the minifigure boxes? As in you can expect x amount of each figure?

In a box of 30, there's 3 complete sets of 9, plus an extra set of one of the tribes. I think in series 1, there's an extra set of infernites; and series 2 its frosticons.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask.

My wife recently bought me some Mixels Series 1 from Hong Kong. Are there fake ones out there? The packaging says Lego and the studs have Lego, too. But the packaging has Chinese printed on the back along with 4-5 other langauges. I thought there's only the North America and European packaging.

Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

I've attached a few images. If anyone can help out, it'll be great!

The reason is that I don't collect Mixels, so if they are real, I would like to sell them.

Okay, I can answer this question for you.

I just happened to get a couple of Hong Kong polybags, and compared them with the US ones.

Apart from the sticker on the back (you can see it in your third image), there is no difference to the Mixels.  I opened up the same Mixel side-by-side.  They are packaged exactly the same.  The book is exactly the same. There is no additional Chinese language in the booklet.  The booklet is in the same order, with the same text.

I am 100% confident that there is no difference, other than that sticker.

Okay, I can answer this question for you.

I just happened to get a couple of Hong Kong polybags, and compared them with the US ones.

Apart from the sticker on the back (you can see it in your third image), there is no difference to the Mixels.  I opened up the same Mixel side-by-side.  They are packaged exactly the same.  The book is exactly the same. There is no additional Chinese language in the booklet.  The booklet is in the same order, with the same text.

I am 100% confident that there is no difference, other than that sticker.

Wow, now you are flying to Hong Kong to get Mixels?  You are the Mad Mixel Master!!!  Heh

• Like 1

I had dismissed the Mixels early on because I've never watched the cartoon nor do they fit in the theme that I collect. Now that we are in Bricktober and I'm running out of sets to make up the 75$ purchase or raking up some VIP points, I've decided to give Mixels a second thought. Lo and behold Series 1 has already been sold out (nearly everywhere) by October and I was barely able to get a full set of Series 2. I figure Mixels are more popular than I thought. I must admit I like the colour scheme that I'd be able to mix and match with all the pieces and perhaps create a super-rainbow-monster (Can I really create something out 27 sets? That's a lot of pairs of limbs and eyes.)

On bricklink and ebay sellers are already asking 10-12 per figure on Series 1. So I began to look for stores other than my usual outlets. Thankfully I was able to track down the last couple of stores that carry the remaining stocks of Series 1 in the City -- at London Drugs! (for Americans it's a drug store / department chain only in Western Canada). I have never bought LEGO there before and it seems that's a good place to look for late season items. They had just shy of a full box of Series 1. I bought over 100$ worth and got 20$ discount. Still, I'm missing Flain.

I'll wait til Series 3 is in clearance before I buy them.

For a series that has pretty equal distribution, it's amazing how some are hoarded more than others.  Flain (41500) is the one of the red set that I have the least in stock. Obviously, he's the more popular of the three red.

Welcome the Mixels club.

Haha thanks.

I figured yeah some characters are going to be more popular than others. Flain does look pretty cool.

For a series that has pretty equal distribution, it's amazing how some are hoarded more than others.  Flain (41500) is the one of the red set that I have the least in stock. Obviously, he's the more popular of the three red.

Welcome the Mixels club.

We need a secret handshake!  I was a skeptic at first but Mixel Master Alpinemaps showed me the light.  Fantastic money maker, especially those yellow sets.  I'm having trouble finding Series 2 these days as well so don't sleep on them!

I purposely purchased more Flains then the other guys in red and glad I did.  Now we need our crystal balls to know who is the best guy to buy in green, silver, etc.

Now that series 2 is sold out at S&**** I'd guess prices will climb pretty steadily towards Christmas. I doubt they'll be quite as good as series 1 (which continues to blow my mind with its steady gains) but pretty solid. It helps that series 3, if anything, might be the coolest yet (nice reviews on brickset and other sites) which should continue to drive sales of 1 & 2 in the coming months.

I'd be surprised if series 3 makes it to Dec. 24th in stock from S&****. Great stocking stuffers and easy add-ons to parents already buying Lego.  Personally, I'm ordering a couple complete sets to get the 10% discount + holiday promo set, as stock in stores around me varies and it can be a pain to try and complete sets at times.

Okay, so as i'm fairly new to the site, I have no shame in saying I didn't even know what a mixel was.

Having said that, should I be picking up any/all of the 1st series that I see?

Yes, without hesitation!  Especially Yellows as those tend to sell for the most.  Black/gray tend to be the most common but still worth grabbing

• Like 1

Yes, without hesitation!  Especially Yellows as those tend to sell for the most.  Black/gray tend to be the most common but still worth grabbing

I thought I saw a recent ebay auction end at $54 for just the three yellow dudes.  That is an amazing ROI%!

You should start trying to get series 2 on sales or with promotions as well...they won't last long at popular stores. Some around me have none or not enough to make a full set left, and have been replaced already with Series 3 boxes.