Brick Classifieds - Shipping

Jeff Mack

I would like to know how many of you out there have accounts with any of the major shipping companies (UPS, FedEx, etc)?

There will be an option for real time shipping and you will be allowed to enter in your account information.  For those of you that are decent shippers and get discounts, this can be a positive thing were your shipping rates can separate you from your competitors.   I will be interested to see how many of you may use this option.  Real time shipping will include the following carriers: UPS, FedEx, USPS, Canada Post and Australia Post

For those that don't care about Real Time Shipping, there are plenty of other options: Free Shipping, Product Level Shipping and Custom Shipping.  Custom shipping is rather unique.  You can set up different types based on item + weight, weight, items, etc.  You can set it where each item for example is $5.00.  If a buyer purchases 3 sets from you, at checkout, shipping will be $15.

In the event that you don't specify any shipping, the purchase can still happen.  You can get paid on your item, but then you and the buyer will be responsible for settling up on the shipping charges outside the system.  Future Brickpicker commissions will not include shipping charges, just the items themselves.

Hi Jeff,

I have biz accounts through my company with UPS and Fed-Ex. Discount polices varies greatly between them as you prob already know.  

UPS reviews your weekly shipping to determine discount rates so they vary.  They also apply an addition incentive on top of standard agreement when using UPS Ground (the zone, weight and commercial vs. residential  are all factored)

Fed-Ex on the other hand offers (at least me) a fixed discount.

When trading with other brickpickers, it will be difficult to calculate shipping unless you know the cost up-front so we usually just pay for our own postage cost since no selling is allowed.  On bricklink, I usually just refund the difference if my shipping quote is over the actual cost or just do a quick shipping quote on say, ups.com.

This will be realtime at checkout.  Once you proceed in the cart, if you bought from 5 different vendors, it will loop through each vendor and display the shipping.   Two may be Free, one may be fixed at $15 and the other may be realtime.  The buyer can select from a drop down box on whatever is available.  Sellers can pick from a bunch of options  (UPS overnight, Ground, 2 day, etc).  It takes a few extra moments for the system to query the system and get the rates, but it is very cool.  I don't expect a ton of people to use it, but it is there for the people that can truly utilize it.

This will be realtime at checkout.  Once you proceed in the cart, if you bought from 5 different vendors, it will loop through each vendor and display the shipping.   Two may be Free, one may be fixed at $15 and the other may be realtime.  The buyer can select from a drop down box on whatever is available.  Sellers can pick from a bunch of options  (UPS overnight, Ground, 2 day, etc).  It takes a few extra moments for the system to query the system and get the rates, but it is very cool.  I don't expect a ton of people to use it, but it is there for the people that can truly utilize it.

cool. 

so will Brickpicker use UPS APIs or something similar  (like PayPal does w/ my UPS account #) so my reduced rates are displayed?  that was a problem w/ paypal in the past (only the standard rates applied and not my reduced rates).

I use a an account through UPS and was looking at setting one up for FedEx. I usually save 15% on ground through ups. Faster shipping saves more. I would plug in my shipper account. I am more a fan of flat rate shipping costs so i can ignore having to figure it. Usually i spend about 25% of the shipping cost. This way once it leaves me the transaction is over. Buyer will always save with me this way, rather than paying actual shipping costs. Next day i usually save 50-60%.

cool. 

so will Brickpicker use UPS APIs or something similar  (like PayPal does w/ my UPS account #) so my reduced rates are displayed?  that was a problem w/ paypal in the past (only the standard rates applied and not my reduced rates).

yes the classifieds are using the web services from each of the vendors.  That is why you will need to enter in your keys/meters/etc.  It will be based on your account and not a generic one.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't Brick Calssifieds be tight to one shipping company? For example as an affiliate link? So we all use the same company and the shipping costs will be lower cause of discount on quantity? So also everyone knows what they have to pay. Am I talking sense here?

Can't Brick Calssifieds be tight to one shipping company? For example as an affiliate link? So we all use the same company and the shipping costs will be lower cause of discount on quantity? So also everyone knows what they have to pay. Am I talking sense here?

Is that allowed?  Can one account owned by Brick Classifieds be used and responsible for shipping for 1,000 different vendors?  I really don't know the answer to this. Have you seen it used like this?  Who is responsible for taking care of queries of lost or damaged items if a complaint is filed?

Is that allowed?  Can one account owned by Brick Classifieds be used and responsible for shipping for 1,000 different vendors?  I really don't know the answer to this. Have you seen it used like this?  Who is responsible for taking care of queries of lost or damaged items if a complaint is filed?

An example: Imagine I would be a huge seller. Ship multiple quantities. In the Netherlands, for example, you can have a contract with a shipping company. The more you ship, the less you pay per shipment. You get a discount.  

Again, it was just a thought. I dunno if it is feasable. But like lego.com has a banner on brickpicker (affiliate link). Maybe one shipping company could be used for all of the shipping on Brick Classifieds on one account. So the more is shipped, the cheaper it becomes.

I repeat, dunno if I am making sense. But you would know better than me.

About damaged and lost items... that will remain the same. The seller will be responsible to contact the shipping company. I do not see that will change.

About damaged and lost items... that will remain the same. The seller will be responsible to contact the shipping company. I do not see that will change.

I really don't think it works that way. And I really don't know if this process exists this way. If someone knows more about this, contact me, but I can't see how thousands of potential vendors can ship from the same account and how they would be responsible for their own shipments.

Look at ebay:

They offer shipping through ebay. Right? You can choose the shipping company yourself. But I believe ebay is getting something in return for giving this option. Or am I completely wrong? It is worth looking into this I believe.

I hope there is someone who knows more about this and who can explain my thought better. 

I don't have either shipping accounts.  I used to have a UPS account, but it was deactivated after 6 months of non-use.  I just use the discounts for FedEx offered by eBay.  I assume that these discounts can't be offered by Brickpicker?  Maybe that is what Ciglione is getting at.  eBay offers discounts to USPS and FedEx, but obviously a few more packages ship through eBay.

Can't wait to try it out.  Thanks.