Should I sell my original Harry Potter sets or hold onto them?

Thats exactly the thing.... he is not finding information he is asking to be told what to do..... if he wanted to find information he would've done it on the search button on this side and put the brains on ''on''.

Whats the point of all those useful blogs and posts that were created, if we/you encourage people to ask ''dumb'' questions over and over again and not use the info thats available, instead we should teach people thow to search not bring them ideas and info on the silver platter....

Now i never said anything against socializing did I?

The OP's question was a valid one IMO.  My answer would be no by the way...with possible new HP books and movies on the way.  Off topic...No, you didn't say anything about socializing, but why attack the OP and call them lazy?  Didn't your Mother ever teach you that there are no stupid questions?

What's ironic is that you asked people to HELP YOU in your thread from a few days ago.  You ask people for help and have valid reasons, but then you act like a callous jerk at times and expect people to help you.  It doesn't work that way.  All you had to do was direct the OP to the blogs or at the very least, say nothing and move onto a thread that you can have a positive impact on.  

I realize some of the questions on the site are repetitive and some are downright silly, but that is the nature of any forum and the internet in general.  

• Like 2

I am in the same situation as the OP. I bought a 4842 Hogwart's Castle (MISB) the other day and I can sell it now and make a nice profit or keep it for later. I think it is a pretty cool set eventhough I do not like Harry Potter at all! This is the collector speaking. But eventually I decided to turn it into $ and listed it. Hope to sell it soon so I have no time to think anymore.

Stupid questions do not exist. Only stupid answers. Do not shoot someone for asking a repetitive question. Posting a negative reply is also a waste of time. Just simply ignore the topic!

• Like 1

The OP's question was a valid one IMO. My answer would be no by the way...with possible new HP books and movies on the way.

Back on topic sort of. So Ed would you be buying Potter sets? Which ones would be a target. Large sets like Diagon Alley or anything found cheaper than brickpicker prices?

Sent from my Unknown using Brickpicker mobile app

Back on topic sort of. So Ed would you be buying Potter sets? Which ones would be a target. Large sets like Diagon Alley or anything found cheaper than brickpicker prices?

If the rumors about a new HP book and/or movie are true, then I would expect a bump up in Harry Potter sets.  You are seeing the older STAR WARS sets bump up in price, especially the original versions.  The interest in the SW sets will only grow in the next year.  I can see some big numbers for STAR WARS set during the Holiday 2015 season.  Big.  As the rumors really start swirling about Harry Potter, I can see renewed interest in the old LEGO sets.  I'm curious to see if LEGO renews the license with the HP franchise.  

You are exactly right, except that it is not naturally but because of current way society is going .....

And that is also why I try to imply to everyone askign such questions that it is he who needs to take the responsibility and be a ''man'' and take the step whatever he decides....

And I am not sure if I've ever asked what to do regarding investments I made and anything similar as to where to put my own money into.....  I sell when i think its time to sell from my own view regardless of what anyone says really :)

Come on, give the man a break, it does not matter if you have asked or not, if your brickfolio is accurate, then you have not made that many "Man investment decisions".......

The OP's question was a valid one IMO.  My answer would be no by the way...with possible new HP books and movies on the way.  Off topic...No, you didn't say anything about socializing, but why attack the OP and call them lazy?  Didn't your Mother ever teach you that there are no stupid questions?

What's ironic is that you asked people to HELP YOU in your thread from a few days ago.  You ask people for help and have valid reasons, but then you act like a callous jerk at times and expect people to help you.  It doesn't work that way.  All you had to do was direct the OP to the blogs or at the very least, say nothing and move onto a thread that you can have a positive impact on.  

I realize some of the questions on the site are repetitive and some are downright silly, but that is the nature of any forum and the internet in general.  

Now that trully is a comparisson way off target Ed.... Asking for help because I have no physical reach (that is cheap) to PAB wall is something entirely different than asking when to sell items I bought don't you think?

The point is, I wish for people to improve their search skills and everything else..... remember that with teaching a man to catch a fish instead of giving him fish ''saying'' or if you prefer calling it theory..... thats my way, I guess the theory is wrong afterall then :)

Now that trully is a comparisson way off target Ed.... Asking for help because I have no physical reach (that is cheap) to PAB wall is something entirely different than asking when to sell items I bought don't you think?

The point is, I wish for people to improve their search skills and everything else..... remember that with teaching a man to catch a fish instead of giving him fish ''saying'' or if you prefer calling it theory..... thats my way, I guess the theory is wrong afterall then :)

All I'm asking you is to word your responses with a little more tact.  As for your own problems, don't you think more people would want to help you out if you were a little nicer?  You can use a language barrier as an excuse sometimes, but I have seen enough of your posts to know that you need to filter your comments a little better.  Thanks.

As for "fish story," the OP asked a simple opinion of the members.  Reading more on this topic might not have gotten the answers he received.  For right or wrong, my opinion differed than the first several responses.  There might be times when research answers a question.  I don't think this was the case here.  

Original Potter sets that weren't refreshed can be great investments if purchased low enough.

The demand is still there and I found many Potter fans are young parents now and are buying sets for their kids. I still expect / observed at least 10% growth on most early sets. These sets like other themes are a nice conservative investment.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

All I'm asking you is to word your responses with a little more tact. As for your own problems, don't you think more people would want to help you out if you were a little nicer? You can use a language barrier as an excuse sometimes, but I have seen enough of your posts to know that you need to filter your comments a little better. Thanks.

As for "fish story," the OP asked a simple opinion of the members. Reading more on this topic might not have gotten the answers he received. For right or wrong, my opinion differed than the first several responses. There might be times when research answers a question. I don't think this was the case here.

I'm with you ed this websites all about Lego investing, pricing, and socializing between fellow Lego collectors/ investors so if you can't feel free to ask an honest question and get an opinion from knowledgable experts then what's the point of having a website like this? Lol the simple fact is do what other members have said before if you don't like a post move on, there's no need to insult someone or start a commotion over absolutely nothing.
  • Like 1

I'm with you ed this websites all about Lego investing, pricing, and socializing between fellow Lego collectors/ investors so if you can't feel free to ask an honest question and get an opinion from knowledgable experts then what's the point of having a website like this? Lol the simple fact is do what other members have said before if you don't like a post move on, there's no need to insult someone or start a commotion over absolutely nothing.

Perfect

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Brickpicker mobile app

I seriously do not understand why people who cannot think and decide for themselves invest in anything at all...

Asking such question on a forum makes me wonder if those who ask it, think we will make profit for them and decide for them....... might aswell sell them and transfer cash to whoever decides for them aswell, because if you have to ask this you obviously are prone to fail.

Did you not set your profit margin?

Did you not make any research?

Did you not look up and say ''Hey thats good price I want to get rid of them'' ???

I cannot decide if asking such question is just SUPER lazy or super dumb.....

Have you not asked people who are knowledgable in a certain topic for advice at some point in your life? I know I have. The original post is from a guy who has only been on here since February and has only posted 22 times. He probably isn't experienced with older sets and is just looking for some guidance. I'm sure he looked up the sets, saw how much they were worth, and didn't know if they had maxed out in profitability. Let's cut him a break.

Original Potter sets that weren't refreshed can be great investments if purchased low enough.

The demand is still there and I found many Potter fans are young parents now and are buying sets for their kids. I still expect / observed at least 10% growth on most early sets. These sets like other themes are a nice conservative investment.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

I'm not as high on the HP sets as I am SW(not yet anyway), but I am super bullish on the SW sets.   I think the HP sets can get a second life if there is a new and creative sequel or prequel that fans really love.  Regardless of a whether or not a new movie about Harry's adult life comes out or not, you still have the potential for a mini and maxifigure bonanza if LEGO gets the rights to the new Warner Brothers movie(trilogy), Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which was written by J.K. Rowling and is based on the Harry Potter Universe.

Ed, any reason why this looked like this was worded a little differently in my email? :)

The 4729 - Dumbledore's Office is the only realy valuable set.

Sell these 4 sets together.

These are ooooold sets and the last HP movies released in the last years have certainly help these but now no point in waiting some more years to earn $10/20 by year.

These sets will only be seeked after by hardcore collectors (because these are simply ugly IMO), don't expect to much about the new incoming movies (?) to make the value grow a lot.

Try to sell all of them with BIN at about $200/250 after this autumn, it's useless to wait more.

alternate way: sell the three smaller sets, and keep the 4729 a little longer

The way I heard for the longest time about the chance for another direct sequel to Harry Potter as a book or movie was zilch. Everything I have seen so far has been an off-shoot of the series and at best was within the same universe but nothing directly relating to Harry Potter outside of a casual encounter and I don

Have you not asked people who are knowledgable in a certain topic for advice at some point in your life? I know I have. The original post is from a guy who has only been on here since February and has only posted 22 times. He probably isn't experienced with older sets and is just looking for some guidance. I'm sure he looked up the sets, saw how much they were worth, and didn't know if they had maxed out in profitability. Let's cut him a break.

Like 90% of you are missing the point which is I doubt he took the time to read ''all'' of the investing info on the site and I also sincerely doubt he used the time to write in Harry Potter HP or similar references into search bar.... thats all....

And thats what everyone especially the owners of the site, should aim to teach all new guys, instead of ''cutting a break''

Like when someone opens another SSD thread it gets merged/locked/deleted thats how it should be done with already existing topics that contain such questions imo.

I dont mind if people ask questions its actually good and when I feel a person really reached out to majority of info, then its only logical to add opinions and ideas to such poster....

Like 90% of you are missing the point which is I doubt he took the time to read ''all'' of the investing info on the site and I also sincerely doubt he used the time to write in Harry Potter HP or similar references into search bar.... thats all....

And thats what everyone especially the owners of the site, should aim to teach all new guys, instead of ''cutting a break''

Like when someone opens another SSD thread it gets merged/locked/deleted thats how it should be done with already existing topics that contain such questions imo.

I dont mind if people ask questions its actually good and when I feel a person really reached out to majority of info, then its only logical to add opinions and ideas to such poster....

What exactly is your point??? Your negative posts will have no effect on the next newcomer who has a question (which you know, since you seem to post the same comments whenever someone posts what you consider to be a dumb question).

Are you suggesting that any user who asks a question before searching for the answer should somehow have their account automatically deleted?

• Like 1

His question was an opinion question, not a yes/no or simple fact type of question that could have been found by searching Google.  Some people told him to sell the sets and gave reasons and I said to keep the sets and gave my reason.  Both answers had merit and a discussion was built off of that question.  Maybe some people learned something from the discussion.  

If you stop questions that ask an opinion or advice, half of the internet's content would disappear.  You need to filter out the threads that annoy or bore you and move on.  What is important and/or interesting to you, is not important and/or interesting to someone else.  Unfortunately for you, 90% of the people agree with me and will deal with new and inexperienced members questions.  After all, we were all noobs once.   

• Like 1

This is a discussion forum, not a wiki.  While there is a search function, and it is useful, the very nature of a forum is more discussionary in nature, and not just bulk knowledge storage.  Sometimes it's difficult to weed through all the BS to perhaps find the piece of info you're looking for.  Also, I'm willing to guess that a lot of the Potter discussion is old.  Investment tips from even a year ago might not apply today.  The OP had a ligitimate concern, there's new Potter material coming out out, that's a new development and it definitely warrents new discussion on strategies for sealed Potter sets.

Remember, there are people here at all experience levels in lego investing, and with varying degrees of internet savvy.  I just got done building the VW camper van, so I'm feeling a bit hippy-ish.... "be cool to each other, man" ;)

• Like 1