Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

Love the site. I have been having trouble running a search on my Brickfolio. Example: I type "Zombie" trying to find 40076 Zombie Car within my Brickfolio, it does not find it. No matter what the search term, I seem to get the same results that are unrelated to my search term.

Oh and how do I add a cool Collection Summary as my signature in the forums?

When searching for a set in your Brickfoilio, there is a slight delay. Just type in the word you are searching for and wait a second. It has to scan through your sets. It will show all sets with the related words that were typed into the search bar. Only hit search when you have the exact name.

Another quick idea, how about a category for "CUUSOO Sets"? There has been a lot of discussion on the "Minecraft" set alone to fill up a page or two, there will be much to talk about with the Delorean coming up soon, and progress for CUUSOO is gaining some momentum. A category for CUUSOO would be a perfect place for everyone to post topics for their favorite 'picks' I think.

Done.

I'll tell Jeff to add it later. Any more.? LOL

Okay just had another last night. How about a category for "Disney Sets"? There has been some talk here & there about the older themes like CARS, TOY STORY, etc. Next year we'll have THE LONE RANGER and I'm sure later on we'll get more Disney themed stuff.

Thank you for adding the CUUSOO category the other night. I can't seem to 'mod' any topic after it's stuck in there.

Was planning to 'sticky note' the "Project Picks" topic atleast.

I was wondering, if I delete a thread does it take away Brickpoints from anyone who posted in it?

I only ask because a few of the topics in some of the "Buying and Selling" categories are for deals that are long gone.

Just trying to help with a little 'spring cleaning' as it were. I hope I am not becoming presumptuous.

Okay just had another last night. How about a category for "Disney Sets"? There has been some talk here & there about the older themes like CARS, TOY STORY, etc. Next year we'll have THE LONE RANGER and I'm sure later on we'll get more Disney themed stuff.

Thank you for adding the CUUSOO category the other night. I can't seem to 'mod' any topic after it's stuck in there.

I was wondering, if I delete a thread does it take away Brickpoints from anyone who posted in it?

I only ask because a few of the topics in some of the "Buying and Selling" categories are for deals that are long gone.

Just trying to help with a little 'spring cleaning' as it were. I hope I am not becoming presumptuous.

That's a good question. I rarely delete anything so I really don't know. Jeff is on his way home. Let me ask him. I'll have Jeff add a Disney category later on. Thanks for your effort!

That's a good question. I rarely delete anything so I really don't know. Jeff is on his way home. Let me ask him. I'll have Jeff add a Disney category later on. Thanks for your effort! You're welcome and I don't say this enough.

Thank you Jeff and Ed for everything.

I just created a test topic, saw that it gave me points for creating it, then deleted it and it did not delete the points. I thought that was the case, but just wanted to double check before people yelled at me :)

Hi guys,

Saw this site over on Wired.com GeekDad and thought I'd come by. Such a great idea following the financials of LEGO!

After browsing the site, I do have a feature request:

It'd be nice to update the status of a set in our brickfolio. For me, sets either get sold or opened, and I'd like to know which happened to what set over time. It also lets us track how much money we 'cashed out' a set for, in order to track revenue over time. I'm not a big seller, so I open most of my sets, so I'd also like to know what kind of hit opening a prized set gives the old bottom line.

I think I really identify with this site because it takes the very real monetary investment this hobby is and gives it the attention it deserves. It puts the finances to the forefront; something that has been missing from the internet LEGO community. It's a space I'm sure brickpicker.com will flourish in.

Alright, before you say "Oh no, another idea popped into the spaz's head" hear me out.

How about a category for "Monster Fighters Sets"? Maybe not that great of an idea, but there has been some 'on & off' conversation about this theme. Most of it for "The Zombies" and "Haunted House", and I can see why. Those two are the most unique of the theme I think. "Haunted House" is sooo The Addams Family, heh. Anyway, I think as long as that "Haunted House" is available (which due to its price and exclusivity it could be for another year or two) and the possiblity of getting something new & similiar this Halloween, a category for these sets may not be that bad of an idea.

My other idea is a lot better (I hope), a category for "Seasonal Sets". This is one category that will always find some use one way or another I believe. You have the Winter Village sets from the past four years (I wonder what this year's design will be?), the advent calenders, special polybags, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.

Good or not, I just wanted to run them by you guys and see what you think.

Hi guys,

Saw this site over on Wired.com GeekDad and thought I'd come by. Such a great idea following the financials of LEGO!

After browsing the site, I do have a feature request:

It'd be nice to update the status of a set in our brickfolio. For me, sets either get sold or opened, and I'd like to know which happened to what set over time. It also lets us track how much money we 'cashed out' a set for, in order to track revenue over time. I'm not a big seller, so I open most of my sets, so I'd also like to know what kind of hit opening a prized set gives the old bottom line.

I think I really identify with this site because it takes the very real monetary investment this hobby is and gives it the attention it deserves. It puts the finances to the forefront; something that has been missing from the internet LEGO community. It's a space I'm sure brickpicker.com will flourish in.

The Brickfolio is a work in progress. It just had a major overhaul with some major additions and improvements, but Jeff and I agree there is much more to add and improve. My vision of the Brickfolio is that I want it to be an Excel Spreadsheet without being an Excel Spreadsheet if you know what I mean. I want it to be more interesting and usable than you typical spreadsheet, yet have the main features to help more serious investors and collectors. But I also don't want to scare away the casual collector with fancy and confusing data inputs.

There is much more data and information to be squeezed from the Terapeak data and Jeff and I are tinkering with various ideas that might help the "serious" resellers. As for your new versus "opened," I would say in most instances, "used" and "opened" are the same thing...and used values are tracked on the Price Guide page. Thanks for your comments.

Alright, before you say "Oh no, another idea popped into the spaz's head" hear me out.

How about a category for "Monster Fighters Sets"? Maybe not that great of an idea, but there has been some 'on & off' conversation about this theme. Most of it for "The Zombies" and "Haunted House", and I can see why. Those two are the most unique of the theme I think. "Haunted House" is sooo The Addams Family, heh. Anyway, I think as long as that "Haunted House" is available (which due to its price and exclusivity it could be for another year or two) and the possiblity of getting something new & similiar this Halloween, a category for these sets may not be that bad of an idea.

My other idea is a lot better (I hope), a category for "Seasonal Sets". This is one category that will always find some use one way or another I believe. You have the Winter Village sets from the past four years (I wonder what this year's design will be?), the advent calenders, special polybags, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.

Good or not, I just wanted to run them by you guys and see what you think.

Sounds good...I'll let Jeff know.

Maybe this has been asked before, but it would be nice to see where users are from if they choose to let be known. That way, if they are talking about sales or promotions, we have a better idea where it may be at if they don't include it in the post. That, and I'm nosy! But it is cool to see where everybody is from now that the site is obviously gaining a lot of traction.

Maybe this has been asked before, but it would be nice to see where users are from if they choose to let be known. That way, if they are talking about sales or promotions, we have a better idea where it may be at if they don't include it in the post. That, and I'm nosy! But it is cool to see where everybody is from now that the site is obviously gaining a lot of traction.

I do like this idea and it has been on my list for a while. I will look to make it available in the next update.

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I wanted first off say thanks for putting this awesome site together. As I was setting up my profile and putting all the info into my brickfolio I was looking for a feature that would have helped me a bunch but I didn't find. Again I'm new here so if it already exists or has been talked about already I apologize, but I think it'd be a very useful feature to have something like a "wish list" where you can keep track of sets you haven't yet purchased but you're interested in purchasing down the road. If you could tie these in with their current values as well as noting(or better yet sending email alerts) if they are on sale anywhere that would be awesome!

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I wanted first off say thanks for putting this awesome site together. As I was setting up my profile and putting all the info into my brickfolio I was looking for a feature that would have helped me a bunch but I didn't find. Again I'm new here so if it already exists or has been talked about already I apologize, but I think it'd be a very useful feature to have something like a "wish list" where you can keep track of sets you haven't yet purchased but you're interested in purchasing down the road. If you could tie these in with their current values as well as noting(or better yet sending email alerts) if they are on sale anywhere that would be awesome!

Hey yeah, a "Wishlist"! That'd be a great idea I think. Had a similiar idea but forgot.

Hello and welcome to the site...This is an idea that Jeff and I have discussed recently. It's an excellent idea and there is a strong possibility of seeing a version of this in the future.

Here's one for my list of odd questions. How do you add the little smiley face emoticons to your replies? I've seen the yellow guy on numerous posts here & there, but for the life of me can not figure out how to add him to a reply. Is there something 'special' I need to do? Help me, Jeff-kenobi. You're my only hope! (Someone kill me, I just did a very shameless Star Wars pun.)

Here's one for my list of odd questions.

How do you add the little smiley face emoticons to your replies?

I've seen the yellow guy on numerous posts here & there, but for the life of me can not figure out how to add him to a reply.

Is there something 'special' I need to do? Help me, Jeff-kenobi. You're my only hope!

(Someone kill me, I just did a very shameless Star Wars pun.)

Good luck with that...I can't even make that happen. I've been asking Jeff that question for 2 years. Some people can, while others cannot. It must be a browser issue.

;-)

I'm a big smiley face fan and I miss the ability to see them myself!

hi fellas, my initial suggestion would be to put a "low price cap" on sets if possible. that would help "tighten" price details from sets that are usually sold for parts or in portions (regardless of MISB or not) listed by ebay sellers. for example, set 7888 (The Tumbler: Joker's Ice Cream Surprise) on pg " www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7888-1 " is often under-priced in our web site price guide due to certain seller listing practices (e.g. selling the Tumbler by itself and in new condition, 100% sets w/o the mini-figs, custom moc tumblers, etc...) . This is causing us to see the "new market value" as $210.35 as a result of seller behavior. We might have a solution... If we know this set in MISB never sells for under $350, can you put filtering logic so all auctions labeled as "new" with a price of $300 or less be excluded? ---- my other is much more minor. can we add page navigation (e.g. page 1, 2, last) to the top of discussion posts just like we have at the bottom already?

hi fellas,

my initial suggestion would be to put a "low price cap" on sets if possible. that would help "tighten" price details from sets that are usually sold for parts or in portions (regardless of MISB or not) listed by ebay sellers.

for example, set 7888 (The Tumbler: Joker's Ice Cream Surprise) on pg " www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7888-1 " is often under-priced in our web site price guide due to certain seller listing practices (e.g. selling the Tumbler by itself and in new condition, 100% sets w/o the mini-figs, custom moc tumblers, etc...) . This is causing us to see the "new market value" as $210.35 as a result of seller behavior.

We might have a solution... If we know this set in MISB never sells for under $350, can you put filtering logic so all auctions labeled as "new" with a price of $300 or less be excluded?

----

my other is much more minor. can we add page navigation (e.g. page 1, 2, last) to the top of discussion posts just like we have at the bottom already?

Hello...We already filter outliers out of the average, both low and high to remove minifigure and lot issues. The problem arises with newer sets that have not been around long enough and are parted out for minifigures or are included in lots. The filter works off of the average price of the last 30 sold auctions, so if every seller is listing partial sets, then the numbers will be skewed. It will straighten out with time and better auction results, but some very small sets or sets with valuable minifigures are very hard to filter correctly. I will look at this set now.

NOTE: I just took a look. There were some listings that were improperly listed by the sellers. They stated new, while the sets were actually used. I adjusted a few. Also, this set has minimal listings to work off of and the current asking price for some of those sets is not accurately reflected in what people are actually paying. Thanks.