Lets be Realistic People

Thanks for the post, and let me add one more.  Even when I was investing 8 years ago,

I was happy when I could double my money after fees within 2 years of retirement.  

That is still a good return on your investment even if you buy 2 years before retirement, almost 20% ROI.

• Like 1

That made me smile. Yes it definitely was.

Mostly just feel bad for the people that make bad decisions on unrealistic info and then will regret doing things, or give up because they think they aren;t seeing what they should.

If people would take a minute, and by a minute I mean a long enough time period to properly do their research, then they should be able to keep their expectations in check.  People need to be smart with their money, and being able to filter the BS is part of that.

• Like 1

I really can't argue with anything you said.  I appreciate the post.  At times there is a lot of BS flying around on topics that people really don't have any facts on.  It makes for good conversation and at times I really enjoy reading it.  This is not an easy thing to do at all.  It takes a lot of time and capital.  I applaud the people like you that sit there and take tons of picture of little minifigs.  I don't have that patience.  Ed and I just keep buying crap, I really don't know if anything will ever get sold :)

• Like 5

I'm not a huge fan of people spreading mis-information to newbies... but on the other hand, people who are looking for "easy money" are going to fall for something. If it's not "quadruple your investment by Saturday by selling in the TRU parking lot!" here, it'll be a Nigerian prince who wants to send you millions of dollars for the low-low price of a couple thousand, act now and you'll get a set of steak knives.

I don't think there's any way to save people who won't do their own research and can't operate a calculator.

• Like 3

To fan the fire a bit, I've worked with people like you grumpy office mate and whenever they would send out an email like that I would reply all that someone sure needs a vacation.

To be clear I agree with most of what you wrote. Except the Rover. That baby will be $350 by Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpickeraaaaaaaswssssswssa

Well put! I personally invest on the side, I`m a collector first and fore-most. Said it before, but to me this is a hobby that I hope will eventually pay for itself. Not a source of income, part of a business, etc. Keep track of everything and as always, pay my share of taxes. Haven`t sold a whole heck of a lot online anyway, so haven`t really had to worry about that department. Still though, this is fun, being a part of the community is fun, and I hope it will continue to be just that. It`s great to have a hobby and a place to discuss it with others who enjoy doing similar things. Honestly I just look at it like that, try to be realistic, while at the same time allowing for a bit of imagination.

Thanks everyone for making the community here great, and of course, thanks to Jeff and Ed! 

• Like 3

For fear of throwing this in a different direction, here's my thoughts on another one:

TLG isn't out to get you

Conspiracy theories make for fun conjecture and great theater, but TLG is not a puppeteer organization pulling the strings of retirement decisions and inventory in an effort to screw with the secondary market.  Have they implemented broad policies aimed to curb resale?  Sure - we all know about their policies to restrict B&M exclusives to the Lego Store and eliminate discounts on exclusives.  But retirement decisions are made well in advance of stock shortages.  Sets pop in and out of inventory based on the inventory leveling their warehouses perform routinely.  There isn't someone in a Lego lab coat behind a laboratory bench with a mean look on his face mixing fluorescent chemicals to figure out the best recipe to mess with resellers.

Similarly, S@H bans occur when a buyer's purchase patterns fall within pre-established "red flag" criteria.   You will risk a ban if you exceed purchasing limits, not when the TLG sales manager misses his/her morning coffee.  Other than the occasional ban of a VIP member with the same eBay account name, S@H almost always bans people for buying too many exclusives too quickly.  A little bit of prudence in timing and quantity of purchases can go a long way to protect your good standing with S@H.  

Newbies should relax about buying from TLG.  Stay within the purchasing the limits, limit your exclusive purchases on S@H, and use Lego Store and S@H to take advantage of the good promos and giveaways, rather than to purchase 40 of one exclusive.  Use other the retailers to build your exclusives inventory.

• Like 6

Investing in what you like is great advice.  When I branch out into a new theme, I only buy sets I would love to give as gifts.  When I started, I only invested in Star Wars because if it didn't pan out, I had birthday and Christmas presents for my kids until they went to college.  I also took a chance on the 50% off Duplo Big Zoo (my one and only Duplo purchase) because I knew I had lots of nieces and nephews who would love it as a gift.

Have fun, make money.  You can't beat that.

I've got a couple more...

Use Your Own Best Judgement

So many people seem to think the way to easy money is asking for someone else to make their decisions. There is nothing wrong with sharing decisions and asking for opinions, but sometimes it feels like people want instant gratification by letting someone else make their decision. I know... "stay away from those topics if your not interested" but for goodness sakes, it's your money, take care of it like it's your money.

Don't Post Just Because You Can

There are people on this board who reply to just about anything. Opinions are like ..... everyone has one and they shouldn't always be shared. Being helpful is one thing, but filling the forums with nonsense, is well, nonsense.

PS DNIIM - that last one is not directed at you and your 7500 posts. :) I find your posts to be good reads and not just full of fluff.

• Like 3

I agree with you on needing to be patient. But I would advise the ones that are being patient and stocking up on lots of sets to give selling a try just to make sure you are up for it. As you know DNIIM I am OCD when it comes to packing my sets and it takes time to do it right and things can still get lost or damaged. I saw one person post that the part out a minor set with the figs on Amazon, some parts on Bricklink, and the rest on EBay. That's just too much work for me to make $3.

Too much work that's why I stopped flipping.

When your new on this site and looking for opportunities it easy to get caught up in the HD, WVC, VC, FH go get them hoard mentality. The DD thread is great for finding steals but sometimes you have to pass because it is not in your plan like today the TB for $180. It will be hard to compete with all that just got it at $150 as people either don't know how much profit they are, or should I say are not making as you see slimmer margins on eBay due to increased competition. I went thru this with Beanie Babies you have to know when to get out

Too much competition that is why I am getting out of investing.

We had a major storm here last week and I lost a huge tree. It could have been worse, it could have fell on the house or have been a tornado and the three rooms of lego that I have, a lot of it is junk sets bought on clearance because it was on sale, would all be gone. I haven't decided if I will sell off mostly everything this Xmas season, or make one of those listings on craigslists that look like a too good to be true scam, or just let my sets age, but I will be content to collect and build sets, still looking for the best deals on something that makes me happy

Edit stop PMing me NO I am not giving away my Mars Rovers but I do have 19 CCP ;)

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of people spreading mis-information to newbies... but on the other hand, people who are looking for "easy money" are going to fall for something. If it's not "quadruple your investment by Saturday by selling in the TRU parking lot!" here, it'll be a Nigerian prince who wants to send you millions of dollars for the low-low price of a couple thousand, act now and you'll get a set of steak knives.

I don't think there's any way to save people who won't do their own research and can't operate a calculator.

Very good point. I generally try to believe people are smart and are just mislead. My job leads me to believe otherwise.

To fan the fire a bit, I've worked with people like you grumpy office mate and whenever they would send out an email like that I would reply all that someone sure needs a vacation.

To be clear I agree with most of what you wrote. Except the Rover. That baby will be $350 by Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpickeraaaaaaaswssssswssa

Oh yeah I reply just to be a ****** to him. 

Veterans know that buying and selling is hard work.  It takes a ridiculous amount of time, energy, and patience.  I'd advise newbies to stay away and just get a pointless government desk job if they are looking for easy money.

Hey I have a pointless government job. Why do you think I have been doing this for three years. My inventory is just now starting to ripen. My before taxes but after fee goal has been 26% annually. So far so good. I bought a lot of exclusives when they were allowed to go on sale.

Now the real work begins. I am terrible with taxes. I need an accountant once I turn this into a real business/llc so I can enjoy all the little deductions to get back some of my profit the gov steals.

• Like 1

This topic is slowly becoming a treasure trove of great investing advice for investors of all experience levels.  Thank you all for contributing, and a special thank you to DNIM for starting this.

I'll add this.

Read between the lines

Some of the more experienced investors on here provide very valuable information to us.  They don't spoon feed it, but they certainly give us subtle hints.  If you spend enough time following the daily deals and reading the more informative threads, you can slowly accumulate some great tips and insight into how the pros operate.  This is something I observed and I appreciate those members who show their hand every once in a while.

• Like 1