70816 - Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

LegoSteve

19 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Too many made, too many hoarded, still easy to find in shops and not enough real demand at the moment. Check back in 2017!

8 minutes ago, feed said:

It’s still available on Amazon UK at just (4%) below retail.  

Makes perfect sense, but then why some other sets (chomper, business lair, emmet's mech, bad cop's pursuit to name a few) seem to be appreciating quite rapidly? Less supply/hoarding?

Shorter life mainly, probably less made, eariler retirement and less hoarding.

Benny´s was supposed to be the MillenniumFalcon of Lego Movie - featured in the best Xmas toy lists etc etc but it just never had that same appeal even when the movie came out.There are still people who collect Movie merchandise and missed out on the 1st wave of sets that retired earlier than expected.

6 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I visited a store today and they still had soo many Bennies and Secret Dropships on the shelves it would make your head spin. So I think 2017 is already very early.

I was trying to be posiive for once. Hard audience today, it is,.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, froncz said:

Makes perfect sense, but then why some other sets (chomper, business lair, emmet's mech, bad cop's pursuit to name a few) seem to be appreciating quite rapidly? Less supply/hoarding?

Appreciating rapidly? For Lego movie sets? In the us market I have difficulty to name even one winner from the theme. Yes there is money to be made if bought at deep discount but overall the theme is to be avoided.

That may be - in Europe prices for some of the sets that I named above are already pretty high, others sit at or below RP (Dropship, Spaceship, Flusher, Ice Machine, Reinforcements, etc.). 

Not investing in the movie sets myself, I love most of the sets though for their creativity, craziness and the fact that they relate to a cool movie of course. However, it seems to me that the theme as a whole is discarded by investors a bit too easily. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a good few winner sets in the theme when we come back to this discussion in a year or so. Maybe the situation regarding that particular theme at the US market is just completely different, I don't know.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, allen9917 said:

Appreciating rapidly? For Lego movie sets? In the us market I have difficulty to name even one winner from the theme. Yes there is money to be made if bought at deep discount but overall the theme is to be avoided.

They retired sooner here and there are lot of weird people about!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

Benny says, "Avoid avoid AVOID!"

I think the problem is nothing related with the quality or potential of this set: it has only been overproduced, lots of shops still have some in stock and secondary market is full...

Not a good investment if you did not plan to keep it 2+ years after EOL in the closet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lobo1969 said:

Picked up the last one today at the local B&M LEGO store for $59.99 CDN (50%off). Best discount I've seen on them in Canada.

Hard to lose at that buy in. Five sold in Jan. on ebay, all around $120 + shipping CAD. I'd be beyond happy to move mine at $150 CAD shipped considering my buy-in. Hopefully that happens in about 10 months...

I just bought my first one of these from TRU and I have to say this set is awesome.  This screams of a ship I would have built with my hodge podge of legos from the late 80's and early 90's that I would have showed off to everyone as being the coolest ship ever built.  I know that this was the intended purpose of this set and all Lego Movie sets.  Huge nostalgia factor for me.  Just an amazingly appealing set for AFOL's in my belief. 

Looks like it was probably over produced, but this still has to be a steal at $70 right?  This has a very unique build quality to it that is unlikely to be repeated.  

It might drop more, maybe to 50%, but I have to figure that this one will increase in value over the next couple years, especially when the second movie comes out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

TRU here managed to sell a few at 40% off (with  10 euro mark up) yeterday but they still have a few left in stock and I suppose in store too. Hoping that this will finally become scarce by Xmas but no confidence in any real appreciation so I´ll gladly sell for RRP or bundle with Sea Cows down the line.

• 4 months later...

checkpoint! a few months later... still available at amazon.com at retail price (or less if you search around elsewhere)

(I am neutral, not against nor pro this set for investment, just for personal/family build this is still a viable option, maybe this price will continue for the rest of 2016 with some good deals down the road)

2 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I expect this set being a flatliner for the foreseeable future. So if you can sell for a minor profit... do not hesitate.

Yup, and they´ll probably remake it with a different satellite dish for Movie 2 in 2018.

• Like 4