70816 - Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

LegoSteve

I'm really, really surprised by your posts.

Most of you seem to appreciate this set but do not want ton invest in.

I don't understand, I think all lights are green:

- great minifgs ? checked (space unikitty, benny)

- best vehicule of the movie ? checked (spaceship !)

- big set ? checked

- both playable and ok for display ? checked

- appealing for men missing vintage sets ? checked

- and more and more

I don't know when it will retire but I would bet that this one would be a great (or an awesome) investment.

I really would not be surprised to see this set double its MSRP value as soon as the second movie is on screens...

• Like 4

There seems to be renewed interest in the old Space theme with the new Exo Suit set arriving soon, so this set can get a boost from that. It actually looks like a cool display piece for old school fans like myself.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

There seems to be renewed interest in the old Space theme with the new Exo Suit set arriving soon, so this set can get a boost from that. It actually looks like a cool display piece for old school fans like myself.

Well IMHO guys like me (us ?) who had some lego space sets when they where young can now, 30 years later when they own a house, have family, children etc. be interested to find and keep as a souvenir what they had in their childhood (that's why vintage toys have a huge success, like transformers G1, MASK, etc. since about the last 5 years).

It's an easy way to get a lego "space vintage-like" set, if you are not in google research and don't have a clue of what set you had when you were a kid.

It's also designed for AFOLs, so the potential of this set is here IMO.

I own two sets, and the one I received from lego shop (seal 23S4) weighs 1605 grams and an other one I received today from a shop (seal 18S4) weighs 1635 grams (30 grams more).

Most of the time sets are not more than 5 grams off so 30 grams off here seems really a lot (it's like 6 or 7 minifigs).

Seals really seem to be ok for both sets (I've checked these with a lot of attention).

Can somebody tell me how much weighs your sets ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've opened both boxes to check why there were 35g more in the box with seal 18S4 than the one received from LEGO Shop at Home (early order, seal 23S4).

I weighted every bags and there are no difference in weight (precision: 0.5g).

But there is a big difference in the bag containing instructions and stickers:

28s410.jpg

Yes, the 35g more is simply because of a cardboard in the 18S4 sealed box. :)

• Like 1

Ok so I've opened both boxes to check why there were 35g more in the box with seal 18S4 than the one received from LEGO Shop at Home (early order, seal 23S4).

I weighted every bags and there are no difference in weight (precision: 0.5g).

But there is a big difference in the bag containing instructions and stickers:

Yes, the 35g more is simply because of a cardboard in the 18S4 sealed box. :)

Why would they remove the cardboard backing from the instructions bag? That is a bad move on their part. :logik:

Why would they remove the cardboard backing from the instructions bag? That is a bad move on their part. :logik:

Dumb isn't it ?

And the instructions of the set without carboard was a little torn...

But I have to ask: are we 200% sure the "23S4", "18S4"... really mean the week of production ?

Because this set was supposed to be launched on June, and here it has been exclusive to LEGO Shop at Home for a month.

23th week from LEGO Shop at Home means end of May (so it's logical I guess, because I ordered it one month ago) but the other one ordered two weeks ago through an other store has the 18S4 seals, so it would mean 18th week which is end of April. A little weird I would say to receive a very early set, even more if we consider they removed the cardboard in the more recent boxes. :scratchhead:

My only conclusion at that time is that sellings was ok-but-not-as-good-as-they-dreamed-of on LEGO Shop at Home so early produced sets went to some online resellers.

You have multiple items with these same production numbers?

I think the production could have been in April, when the sales are only in July. This happens in a lot of business. 

Not sure where the production was but if it was in China it would take around 5 weeks to have them finally arrived in Europe by sea.

So week 18  production would be week 23 until they are in Europe.

Maybe the packaging guy/girl forgot the cardboard...

Dumb isn't it ?

And the instructions of the set without carboard was a little torn...

But I have to ask: are we 200% sure the "23S4", "18S4"... really mean the week of production ?

Because this set was supposed to be launched on June, and here it has been exclusive to LEGO Shop at Home for a month.

23th week from LEGO Shop at Home means end of May (so it's logical I guess, because I ordered it one month ago) but the other one ordered two weeks ago through an other store has the 18S4 seals, so it would mean 18th week which is end of April. A little weird I would say to receive a very early set, even more if we consider they removed the cardboard in the more recent boxes. :scratchhead:

My only conclusion at that time is that sellings was ok-but-not-as-good-as-they-dreamed-of on LEGO Shop at Home so early produced sets went to some online resellers.

I am no grammar nazi or something I just have to correct you on 23th it sounds horrible when you read and pronounce it.... 1st 2nd 3rd and rest is th ending..... I just had to do that

As for the set, I saw some local toy shop carrying it for like double retail was like WTF :D

• Like 1

Maybe the packaging guy/girl forgot the cardboard...

Nope, the plastic bag which contains instructions + cardboard is bigger as you can see on picture above.

@Alcarin: ah ok thanks, it's "23rd", my bad, this forum is the first one in which I write in english since high school (20 years ago) so I'm doing my best but I know most of the time it's not enough

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Since there are some discounts for this set in my country, I am thinking now how much pieces I would buy for investment. I really cannot guess its investment potential - I know that the Lego Movie is seasonal issue, but this is a great set from classic space also interesting for AFOLs - on the other side, is it really so interesting for hard core fans of classic space (since there are Movie figs, the set is just a retro set, not original from classic serie). What do you think?

Good question...

I have a couple of these and will keep it at that. Unless I find them on a very good discount I might buy another one or two. I am really in the dark with this Movie theme. Maybe the QFLL'ers can give more insight on how these sets are doing. I am not a QFLL perse. So I have no clue. I am suspicious this theme is for kids and not so much for AFOLS.