21002 - Empire State Building

Frahugo

It looks like the Empire State (21002) is retiring.  No availability on US and CAN shops (says to call to check for availability) and on Brickset, it says that the set retired on July 23rd/24th, but not in the UK.

Is it time to buy the set?

• 5 weeks later...

I think this is a winner.  It is NY's most famous building and once it is EOL people will still want it, NY tourists, AFOLs, Architecture collectors, etc etc etc.  That being said I only have 1, going to start nabbing these at TRU on Thursdays I think.  I know I have seen some on the shelves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not iconic?  OK...sure.

kingkong-old.jpg

Yes, the Empire State Building is very famous. Really, very, very. Nearly as much as the Statue of Liberty. Let's say as famous as the mount rushmore.

The United Nations, ok, I knew it existed but I really couldn't say what it looked like before I googled it. Never heard of Guggenheim before today. Beautiful building BTW.

It's a little like the Tower bridge thread where english people and guys who traveled a lot can't believe some rednecks like me never heard of it and thought it was as famous as Big Ben...

When you want to bet on what is famous or not, ask to rednecks who live in an other continent. Feel free to ask me, lol.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

I think "iconic" plays very little into the growth of these Architecture sets IMO.  I think these sets are popular if they are cool.  The Trevi Fountain is cool and will kick butt in retirement.  I like the UN.  I like Fallingwater.  The Empire State Building is very basic, but don't let basic deter you.  One only has to look at the "basic" John Hancock Center as a basic set that is doing fantastic in retirement.

I think "iconic" plays very little into the growth of these Architecture sets IMO.  I think these sets are popular if they are cool.  The Trevi Fountain is cool and will kick butt in retirement.  I like the UN.  I like Fallingwater.  The Empire State Building is very basic, but don't let basic deter you.  One only has to look at the "basic" John Hancock Center as a basic set that is doing fantastic in retirement.

Two words to support this: Burj Khalifa

How the heck did stack of drums become so valuable ? :D

Two words to support this: Burj Khalifa

How the heck did stack of drums become so valuable ? :D

I don't think too much about it - sold 4 this holiday season for an average of $60 CAD + buyer paid shipping...not too shabby.

Kept one for myself because I lived in Dubai, but I wish I had a dozen more. Small boxes, easy to package and ship, easy to store, and people love them at Xmas. 21002 will probably do really well next Oct-Nov-Dec.

I think the Empire State Building and Burj Khalifa are two of the most iconic structures in the world. They have both been a tallest building in the world at one point (doesn't Khalifa still own that distinction, although soon to be outdone?). They are emblematic of the regions, not just cities, they represent. I'm sure many on here, like me, have been to both sites too. And once you've been to either -- and there are countless who go every year -- these sets have to be must haves (okay, I'm biased there as we all tend to be with Lego, but you get my point). I'd think anyone who goes would be happy to pay at least up to $100 when these are discontinued and long gone. Same with the Architecture Eiffel Tower, which is an ultra-cool model on top of being an iconic structure. The appeal to the masses for these sets has got to be a factor IMHO.

• 1 month later...

This set is sold out on LEGO Shop at Home but it's still available on Amazon for $19.99.  I would like to buy a few before they are gone.  Since it was discounted and then sold out on LEGO Shop at Home that hints towards retirement.  This thread has been dead for almost 2 months, so what do you guys think?  I never really looked closely at these sets but ever since I bought a few on clearance I'm more interested in them.  I really think these could do well once they go eol and the AFOL's with $$$ start buying.