10223 - Kingdoms Joust

Ed Mack

I agree as well. It is a very nice set. But not for the kids nowadays.

A couple of months ago my doctor came over to my house to pick some lego for his grandson's birthday. He also brought his grandson with him. So I nicely grouped all the sets I was willing to sell by theme. Guess what... the grandson did not even give a look at the city sets. Even the Dino sets were not interesting. All he was grasping at was Chima and Ninjago. The rest he did not care for a bit. With alot of trouble his grandfather could convince him to also take a Star Wars set.

So that is the future of investing I believe.

Again... I think the Joust is a wonderful set. I would ask for it for X-mas if I was a kid. But I think we are slowly becoming extinct.

Good illustration of the effects of spoon-feeding and lack of imagination in today's youth (not to sound too negative, cuz my 8 year old is more or less the same - he likes what he is shown, why go to the trouble of thinking for himself?)

What kind of Date Stamps are you all getting on yours? 

I bought 2 during the Brick Friday LEGO Shop at Home sale this weekend, and i have 44R2.

That's late 2012 for those of you not in the know. That says something to me if brand new shipments were produced (or at least packed) 2 FULL YEARS ago.

This may become a true sleeper winner.

Sleeper, yes. Winner? Tough call. Doesn't seem like it. Obviously supply will be low, but demand could remain even lower for years upon years. Only one way to find out. I personally don't have the capital to go deep on this one.

They are already $150 on amazing and selling in the $130-140 range on ebay, not amazing if you got them at full price but for those of us who got them at $95 thats awesome, wish i would have grabbed a few more based on how quickly they jumped.

Are there any sold listings in that range?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Why do you suppose this set has had such minimal increase in value?  MSRP of $99, and currently valued at $140'ish with a brief high of $159 before plummeting.  Castle set that is more than a year past retirement with minimal increase.  Is it because the castle set that came out a year latter for the same price is just that much better of a set?

There is a mint set being sold locally for $125, but doesn't seem like there is much potential for it.

Thoughts?

I missed the boat on this one but really like it.  Also shocked at what it can be picked up for.  
Been buying a lot of retired sets recently for the personal collection but i cant tell you why i wont pull the trigger on this one. Nice looking set, reasonable price (even compared to whats currently on offer really)....just doesn't really fit with of the other sets i want to build.  

Anyway, that's my personal opinion on why it hasn't taken off.  Great set but nothing really to compliment it with.  Unless someone wants to point out the error of my ways :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On February 1, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Lego_Yoda said:

I missed the boat on this one but really like it.  Also shocked at what it can be picked up for.  
Been buying a lot of retired sets recently for the personal collection but i cant tell you why i wont pull the trigger on this one. Nice looking set, reasonable price (even compared to whats currently on offer really)....just doesn't really fit with of the other sets i want to build.  

Anyway, that's my personal opinion on why it hasn't taken off.  Great set but nothing really to compliment it with.  Unless someone wants to point out the error of my ways :)

I used to display the castle section with Medieval Market Village flanking it one building on each side.  Looked really good and didn't take up a lot of space.  I personally didn't care for the Jousting section so it stayed out of the way.

I think with no decent castle theme on the horizon (Nexo Knights doesn't really count) this along with Medieval Market Village and Mill Village Raid should start to appreciate nicely.  And honestly, I don't see Lego doing a Castle UCS type set for a long time unless there is a movie attached to it.  Great sets but a small niche in the Lego market.

On 2/1/2016 at 4:22 PM, Lego_Yoda said:

While it doesn't match up exactly, the Joust set goes well with the Kingdom's King's Castle: http://brickset.com/sets/7946-1/King-s-Castle

For some reason, the entire Kingdom's line didn't seem to be received too well.  I think it's one of the better castle themes to come out, but that's just my opinion.  I think it does a good job incorporating the new with a bit of a throwback look to classic castle.   I bought 2 Joust sets to build, and they look great together.  I also got them both on a discount; as great as the set is I don't know if I'd buy one at aftermarket prices with so many other sets competing for my dollars.  From the looks of it, a lot of people share that opinion.  A lot of great Castle sets, like Medieval Market Village have climbed very slow in price despite the fact that they're great sets.  Seems like the actual castle sets in the theme are the only really safe bets.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, naf said:

While it doesn't match up exactly, the Joust set goes well with the Kingdom's King's Castle: http://brickset.com/sets/7946-1/King-s-Castle

For some reason, the entire Kingdom's line didn't seem to be received too well.  I think it's one of the better castle themes to come out, but that's just my opinion.  I think it does a good job incorporating the new with a bit of a throwback look to classic castle.   I bought 2 Joust sets to build, and they look great together.  I also got them both on a discount; as great as the set is I don't know if I'd buy one at aftermarket prices with so many other sets competing for my dollars.  From the looks of it, a lot of people share that opinion.  A lot of great Castle sets, like Medieval Market Village have climbed very slow in price despite the fact that they're great sets.  Seems like the actual castle sets in the theme are the only really safe bets.

Yeah its a shame. I held onto a handful of MM for years thinking they would go sky high after retirement, but despite being one of only a handful of "village" type buildings ever released they never did much. I finally threw in the towel and sold them for maybe 10-20% more than what I paid for them. I still think some day people look back at the medieval market, mill village raid and joust and regret not buying them when they were cheap. Like wise im sure ill be kicking myself for selling but then again I used the funds to purchase numerous sets that have already doubled in value so I cant complain much.

• 2 months later...

It's doing a little better in the US. It cam be had for $153 sealed. I had one I got during the LEGO Shop at Home clearance that I sold about a year ago and made a little bit on it. Glad I got rid of it. It's a cool set, just not a popular theme right now.  

2 minutes ago, feed said:

Still not sure who this set was aimed at, any kids that like knights rather than DC/Marvel or SW would want a real castle a la Kings castle and this is no MMV for the afols or castle collectors.

I feel the same about the Ninjago temple and Minecraft Village. Possibly Disney Castle too but there is probably a big enough group of Richard Simmons-like Afols for that!

Edited by Val-E

10 minutes ago, TigerG said:

On Ebay Germany they sold for 125 to 169 Euros in the few months so that one auction on Ebay Spain doesn't seem to be very representative for it's market value.

It was an Italian seller with less than 100% feedback - as we have seen with the referendum, every sale is representative and the lack of bidders for this one was an indicator of  demand.

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I feel the same about the Ninjago temple and Minecraft Village. Possibly Disney Castle too but there is probably a big enough group of Richard Simmons-like Afols for that!

I don’t know enough about minecraft to really comment, but disagree on the Ninjago temple I think that has both AFOL and kid appeal, with both display and play value, as well as not having much to complete with it right now. (Although the cave set will likely complete for the kids attention as well as being cheaper).  

• Like 2