New Member in NJ - *I Like Sorting*

welcome!!

if you like to sort then the thrill and possibilities are endless.

i hope that your significant other will not be disenchanted with your hobby creeping into the life...

Thanks! I actually am near finished sorting my recent big CL purchase. I have to weigh a bit more, but it is about 50-60 Lbs total, and quite an accomplishment when I realize that I have touched every piece at least once!

I tried a couple of different methods, and narrowed down my preference. I found that taking a pile and sorting down all the way to the very fine level in one pass was too hard to focus and slow moving with wasted handling and frustration. Instead, I take a pile and do continuous sweeps for primary groups, such as Slopes, 1x plates, 2x plates, same for bricks, wheels, all Technic, etc. Then from there I hone in on a single group (and take out their destination bins) and sort down finer. It works out much better for me that way.

Welcome. I loath sorting.

I was doing this on the down-low for a couple weeks, only at night when everyone was in bed. We are a little tight on money, so I recently involved my Wife, and she is helping by piecing together the more valuable sets that we want to sell... She really is not into the sorting, which is understandable.

Edited by Victorymike18

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I wanted to update as it has been three months since I made this introduction thread.

So at the advice of several people here, I have been taking the path of selling pieces on Bricklink (vs. rebuilding the sets, or selling batches on Ebay).

I'm happy to say that I have almost 20 sales completed on BrickLink, and really enjoy the control that I have over the process.   From sorting CL bulk parts, entering to BL inventory, and handling the picking & packing when the orders come in.   It's all methodical and fits into my schedule (I'm a night owl).

I did try piecing together a couple of the higher value sets that I identified, but I don't like putting an hour or so into pulling the parts just to find that pieces are missing.   I think my time limitations keep me to just parting out.

So thanks again to everyone that suggested opening a BrickLink store.  That has certainly been the best fit for me.

• Like 1

I have to agree with just a frog.  Like you I started the same way but with my son sorting a big lot we purchased on CL and put all the sets back together to sell.  I bought a lot on brick link and started to really understand just how big Lego really is.  Couple with finding this awesome site I decided to ope a store of our own.  It has been about a year and half since we opened our store.  It is really cool doing it with my kids and we have in that time frame grew our store to over 110k pieces which has financed the investment side of our brick folio.  At the end of the year our business part time of course will be fully funded by Lego profits and will have grown our investment side (sealed sets) to about 10k.  It has been a great ride.  Brick link can be daunting but if you have a great system in place it really doesn't take a lot of time to do it.  Good luck