Selling CMF - sealed or open?

stackables

I was wondering what is everyone's opinion about keeping the collectable minifigs sealed or open them. I just picked up a couple of series 2 packs and for some reason I am questioning whether to open them or not. My other collectable minifigs are all opened. Is there really much difference in price from selling a complete set in package to a opened one?

I will not pretend to know if the value appreciates better if the fig is still sealed. I would assume that it would, but you never know with the ?Mystery? figs. Personally; I open & display them. I also have several duplicates still sealed for resale in several years when the value is high. I would say that there really is not much difference in the price of a complete set sealed vs. a complete set opened. If you add up the cost of the individual figs & compare them to a complete set lot; they are pretty much cost the same. I really just wanted to tap in to say that the "feel" system is not the only way to identify the Minifigs concealed within the bag. Lego made sure that they could identify the individual figs so they incorporated a braille system to quickly identify the contents. This is commonly known as the "Bump code". If you look at each bag; there are dimples (or bumps) on the bottom seal. Each fig has a different dimple layout/pattern. If you google "Lego Minifig Bump Code", you should be able to find the codes for the series you desire. Be patient with newly released series as it takes a lil' while before some deciphers & publishes the codes. Personally; I use the "Feel" system as this is much easier then the Bump codes. Many times the Bumps aren't profound enough to easily decode. If you are even the slightest bit familiar with Lego's Minifigure designs, you should be able to identify the parts fairly easily by they're shape. It's much easier if you have a picture sheet of the minifigs included in that particular series. This way, you can match what you feel to what you can see.

What I do is usually buy six to seven packs at a time and I use the "feel" method. I'm pretty good at it so far only guessed wrong once lol. I open the ones that I like and want to display and keep doubles or the mini figs that I don't particularly like I keep sealed or give away as gifts.

There will always be those people that will pay premium prices for the unopened bags but with minifigs I dont think it is a top priority to keep the bags sealed, but then again I am not a big minifig collector so who knows really. There is an app in the android market and in the apple app store (Im sorry if you use apple because apple sucks, sorry Jeff) that you can download to your smartphone that will use your camera as a barcode reader, you can scan the barcode and it will tell you which minifig is in the bag. I have not used it so I can not speak to its usefulness, I just know its available.

Do the prices for mini figs ever drop below 2.99(ish)?

Yes...LEGO S@H just ran a special of 50% off on Series 7 and 8 minifigures during the last Black Friday sale, which made them $1.49. Add in the extra 10% on orders over $150, you were getting new and sealed Collectible Minifigure for around $1.20 per.

On topic, the answer is....it depends on what minifigure you are talking about. Sealed "random bags" can be worth more than certain opened Collectible Minifigures that are unpopular. A random bag of an older Series might be worth $8 a piece or more, while some unpopular figure might be worth $3. You take a chance by opening them up. Now some minifigures, like the Zombie from Series 1 can sell for $20, so it is a risk you take.

I believe some buyers really don't care about the packaging and just want a complete set or a particular figure. Like I said...it depends.... ;-)

I tend to agree with Ed on this one. I believe it depends on the buyer more than anything. Yet, there are a certain group of collectors, including myself, who always prefer to have some sealed sets (or minifigs in this case) to have for future investments. I will say though that from prior experience selling on eBay that sealed sets of the minifigs have always sold for a higher price than the loose ones.

If you are buying the minifigures strictly for reselling purposes, I would say that keeping them sealed is the best choice. Yes, some people won't care if they're opened, but others will. Why open them and decrease your buyer pool? My general theory on anything you plan on reselling, but especially LEGO sets, is that brand new things can always become opened and used things. Once you open them though, you'll never have that brand new, sealed item again.

I prefer minifigures sealed only if I know 100% which minifig is in the sealed bag. As far as the series 1-8 CM's I prefer them out of the bag because then I know I'm getting the exact minifigure I want, not an educated guess by someone else that performed a feel test. However with minifigs like 5000012: The Hulk, I would rather purchase it sealed because with this bag you know exactly what is inside. Just my 2 cents....

If it's a minifigure in a polybag like Chase McCain then sealed.

If it's a MINIFIGURES character....that's a bit trickier. If it is sealed then I have some excitement opening it even though I know what it is (or hope that it is what it is). If it's opened then I have nothing to worry about getting exactly the one I want, but worry about what condition it is in.

If you are REALLY good with the whole 'smooshing' technique, than I would say keep the ones you want to sell sealed. If there's the slightest bit of doubt, then no one can blame you for opening all of them before you list em for sale. Just keep them in a nice little storage drawer. And NO SMOKING!!!!

Since Series 8, I've been doing things by 'feel' similiar to Hippie. All I can say about the 'bump codes' is (since Series 8 ), they don't work anymore. Believe me, I know. Oh well. Besides 'smooshing' is the way to go!

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to find what you want is typically to feel for the accessory. That's pretty much how I go about it. And, the best way to get the best deal may be to buy a case on sale or off eBay, make your set, then build other sets and sell them back on eBay. Buying a case is the best way to guarantee you get the whole set of 16. I could go around to Lego/Target/Walmart trying to dig through and find all the characters but that is very time consuming. It appeals to some as the hunt for them is part of the fun. For me, I rather just know I am guaranteed that set and then recover as much as possible by selling the extras/extra sets.

I tried the bump code method on some series 6 packs and it didn't work. I guess there is different revisions of each series so the bump code changes with each one (I think).

The only 'sure thing' was the different upc codes for Series 1 & 2. After those the only sure way is by 'feel'. The 'bump code' may have worked for Series 3-7, but with many production runs and possible misalignments in the factory, there are just too many variables to make it reliable by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm glad that I'm good with my hands and the whole 'smooshing' technique has become second nature. I can pretty much tell 'who' it is in a minute or so.

The best way to find what you want is typically to feel for the accessory. That's pretty much how I go about it. And, the best way to get the best deal may be to buy a case on sale or off eBay, make your set, then build other sets and sell them back on eBay. Buying a case is the best way to guarantee you get the whole set of 16. I could go around to Lego/Target/Walmart trying to dig through and find all the characters but that is very time consuming. It appeals to some as the hunt for them is part of the fun. For me, I rather just know I am guaranteed that set and then recover as much as possible by selling the extras/extra sets.

In some ways for me it would be better to just buy a case, but I do like being able to find just who I want and it is an exciting challenge 'smooshing' around.

Everyone I 'smooshed' for in Series 7 & 8 were 100% the character I thought it was.

• 3 weeks later...

I've really gotten into the minifigure series just recently but they are so addict ing to me. I'm one of the perfectionists wo has to have the whole series.... Like everyone else, I seem to be most comfortable with the feel method and I really hate the whole bump codes. I've never had luck with them at all. As for saving them for investments, I'm not really sure but I kind of side with Ed on the whole thing. Personally, I don't have the money resources to buy so many minifigures, so I usually just focus on completing my series, but if there's some left over I just save them sealed with the other sets.

I am regularly selling sealed Vampire Bats, Football Players, and Santa Clauses from series 8 for $6. I never get that for an open one, so it seems people do prefer them sealed. You just have to make sure to make a good case for them to believe that what you say is in the sealed bag is actually what is in the sealed bag.

I am regularly selling sealed Vampire Bats, Football Players, and Santa Clauses from series 8 for $6. I never get that for an open one, so it seems people do prefer them sealed. You just have to make sure to make a good case for them to believe that what you say is in the sealed bag is actually what is in the sealed bag.

This sums it up for me to a "T".

I am one of those that prefer "sealed" over "new/complete". I have seen ones that said they were listed as "sealed" on Bricklink, only to read in the description that it technically is considered "new/complete" because the seller had cut open a corner 'slightly' to confirm contents. Um, if the seal is broken in any way, then it is no longer sealed now is it? You can call me nitpicky or whatever, but it is the truth.

I'm not sure where to find the answer to my question so ill ask it here sorry if its been asked a dozen times somewhere else but does anyone know where to buy a sealed box of 60 minifigs? Will TRU sell them if you ask or does anyone know a reliable online seller besides eBay or amazon? Thanks.

I'm not sure where to find the answer to my question so ill ask it here sorry if its been asked a dozen times somewhere else but does anyone know where to buy a sealed box of 60 minifigs? Will TRU sell them if you ask or does anyone know a reliable online seller besides eBay or amazon? Thanks.

eBay for cases/boxes of 60 minifigures is usually very fairly priced for new releases. It the older Collectible Minifigs that get expensive.

Ok thanks Ed. eBay just freaks me out though for some reason lol. Has anyone here ever bought a sealed case/box of 60 from eBay before?

Just did.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10041&campid=5337057111&customid=setsEBAY-US&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&item=230916728253

$2.66 per minifigure...FREE SHIPPING...No tax out of state.

Today I stumbled upon a box of 60 Series 7 minifigs in the package and with the display box for $1 each. A week or two ago I scored 20 Series 6 minifigs in the package, also for $1 each. I'm not about to "moosh" all of these to try to figure out what's in them. I'm wondering the members' thoughts here...sell them unopened, or open and assemble each one and sell them individually? I've looked through eBay and how people are selling these, and it hasn't necessarily inspired me one way or the other. My strategy with picking things is to get a 30% return, which will I know I can easily exceed with these, so I don't care too much about squeezing every dollar of profit out of an investment, but I also don't like to leave easy money on the table. Thoughts? Update: I should have added, selling the Series 7's as hopefully several complete sets is where I'm leaning at the moment...