Selling CMF - sealed or open?

stackables

Whats the best method to ship a small number of figures?

I've been selling some polybags and I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I purchased a dozen bubble mailers from WalMart, which ended up being close to $0.50 each, shipping ended up being around $2.12 on average using USPS priority (to get a tracking number).

So not including anything for time, its roughly $2.62 per item to ship.

I've got at least 100 polybags & minifigures I want to get rid of, and there has to be an easier way.

You aren't using USPS priority if you're paying roughly $2.12 for postage - you're likely using USPS First Class Package, which also provides a tracking number.

Unfortunately, postage costs are high (and they just asked for another increase) and while you can get a bit better rate on the bubble mailers buying in bulk, it won't be a huge savings.

Also, most polybags can be shipped for $1.69, just like figs (3oz)

Yes, if you're paying the price across the counter at the post office it will be $2.07 for up to 3 ounces, so be sure to print your postage online - eBay labels work fine if you're selling through eBay, otherwise PayPal, stamps.com, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine it depends on the accessory. I sell minifigs both ways - with their "standard accessories" (weapon, etc.) and without. Both seem to sell fine. When an accessory is integral to the character (the Riddler's question-mark shaped stick), I always include it when I have it. When it's "generic blaster", I sometimes don't.

• 1 month later...

I've ordered them, i'm still waiting to receive them so then I could understand better what are you talking about dot codes...

At the bottom of the bag there are little dots.  Pretty hard to see.  If you feel a bag and recognize a piece than look at the bottom of the bag that says "Building Toy-Jouet de Construction just below the choking hazard warning.  Feel along that place with your fingers.  You might feel a bump.  If you don't feel a bump, than look at another bag.  All types of minifigures will have the same dot codes. (e.***: 6 Yetis, 2 Grandmas, 4 Holiday Elves)  All types of mini figures are unique, a Yeti and a Grandma will not have the same dot codes.  If you just google "lego minifigure dot code" you will know what I am talking about.  Hope this helps you!

Did they bring back reliable dot codes with series 11 ?  IIRC they made them non-uniform starting series 6 or 7.  I have not bothered with the dot codes ever since

That's what I thought at first, but then I bought two boxes of Series 11 and the dot codes were the same.

I honestly don't think it matters, sealed or open. I had 20 packs that I felt and labeled and kept close to sell later. I took them to a brick and minifig store to sell and told the lady I knew what they were and labeled them. She paid me a good price for them and then opened all of them right there and put them in the display case for sale. Open or sealed I don't think it matters, unless it is series 1 or 2 maybe.

The question is if people prefers to have the exact minifig. they need or if they prefers to have a mysterious bag with a surprise inside, than can be good or not...just like when you're young and you're guessing what you'll receive for birthday or for christmas...

Another thing to consider is that when you identify or open a minifigure pack, they gain value %90 of the time.  Most of the time, people on eBay are not looking for a surprise.  I have not seen a big price difference between open and sealed minifigures.

• 1 month later...

I've been collecting CMF since Series 4, since then I was able to back-collect 1-3 except for the zombie from Series 1 (20$+). Damn you zombie collectors! I don't understand why that figure is so in demand even when they have released another similar figure with the colours reversed. But I digress.

Since Series 4 I would only invest in figures that could be used as part of an army. I always leave them sealed. I smooch each package to identify the content and write the figure number inside the flap of the foil package for quick ID later on. I don't think it makes a difference to the buyer whether you sell them as open or not but with a sealed package at least you can market your stock as "New", "Sealed", and "Unused".

For one of the series I bought a brand new box from the store, which I could probably complete a full unopened set of 16 figures and sell as a super lot. Could be great for someone who's trying to complete an old series. Otherwise, individual army-buidling figure is the way to go.

Speculating on otherwise individual-theme figure is too tedious. It depends too much on fads. For example, the Monster from Series 4 (as low as 3$) did nowhere as well as the zombie.

• 1 month later...

I would say that this late on to collecting them would mean you would be waiting a long time to see your investment rise... Series 1-3 have huge value sealed and untouched, and there is demand for the later series. If the Lego movie proves hugely popular then maybe in a few years the figures might be worth a bit more. But again, if it does prove a massive hit, there will more than likely be many sets released with possible sequels and further minifigures added. If you can get sealed boxes of series 10 at a good price then jump on it... the allure of Mr Gold has lessened, but there are still some out there and there are still collectors out there ready to spend their cash looking for him. In each series there are a few rarer figures and TLG has made minifigure collecting harder by skewing the box contents making it more difficult to complete the sets. But if you can pick up any of the earlier series for a good price then I would jump on it... dont hold your breath though! Occasionally in the UK you will come across an old box of say series 6 or 7 on occasion, the majority of stores only tend to stock the recent series... At the moment series 9, 10 and 11 can all still be found in shops(in the UK anyway...). But without standing there and smooshing for hours, the chances of finding all 16 of each series in stores is low as as soon as the boxes are on display people pick out the rarer figs. The emergence of lots of 'boot-lego' and counterfeits should worry some collectors as I am sure we are only 6 months away at the most to seeing the more popular figures such as the elf and zombies being copied... However, the MFCs have rejuvenated Lego and with the release of each new set, more collectors join in and the clamber for the older figures picks up again... So overall I would probably say investment winner... but beware of the bubble! ;)

It all depends on the series and how good of a deal you can get.  Series eight is a series that appreciated very nicely in a small amount of time.  If you can get a sealed box at retail, than it should do well, but it is really hard to tell how long you will have to wait before they appreciate.  If you don't mind waiting, than they should be good investments.