Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

On 6/22/2018 at 5:54 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

so update of the WH scheme :

1 return came back pristine and untouched. ( still have to do a weight test ) 

1 return came back with the seals cut but otherwise looks complete ( haven't inventoried the bags yet 0 

1 return still on the way back . 

Last unit arrived today . Although sealed and in a pretty good shape it isn’t my item as it doesn’t havee a fba sticker and I don’t commingle . Tempted to crack the seals open . 

I believe there are 2 issues here
1) pa and wa passed a law requiring a marketplace to collect sales tax on all third party sales.
2)  if you will have 200 sales in south dakota this year you are required to collect and remit sales tax to sd.  As of now amazon has not announced any plans of automatically charging and remitting it for you. The sd law targeted the seller not the marketplace so it is the sellers obligation and headache.

as more states pass sales tax laws the question becomes will they require the marketplace to collect it or the seller.  If its the seller the idea of all that paperwork is a nightmare
There will likely be some type of universal or semi-universal mechanism created to manage the collection and remittance of sales tax under whatever new regimes emerge following the Wayfair decision. States are going to need an efficient way to collect taxes from out of state sellers and cannot afford to start chasing thousands of sellers across the country. I have no idea what the solution will be, but the sales platforms and the state revenue agencies both have a vested interest in figuring out something that will make our lives easier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

On 6/25/2018 at 5:01 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

Last unit arrived today . Although sealed and in a pretty good shape it isn’t my item as it doesn’t havee a fba sticker and I don’t commingle . Tempted to crack the seals open . 

so i think we were right here. none of the sets returned to me had my fba on them, all were label free.  the mofo is using amazon for free shipping is my guess, then he returns it to Amazon with free shipping also. if a customer returns a damaged unit to him , he throws that in. 

• Like 1

Looks like Amazon has picked up some of the TRU exclusives or perhaps LEGO has sent them exclusive stock remaining that was destined for TRU.

Examples:

- Fresh 10508 listing: https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-DUPLO-Deluxe-Train-10508/dp/B07CVL8GQQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1530370908&sr=1-2&keywords=10508 (the "primary" listing is much higher with lots of reviews and a higher price)

- 10507 stock appeared, higher than MSRP: https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-DUPLO-First-Train-10507/dp/B00C9X592K/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1530370908&sr=1-3&keywords=10508

I'm sure there's others... Just ran into these the past few days.

1 hour ago, chrisynd said:

Looks like Amazon has picked up some of the TRU exclusives or perhaps LEGO has sent them exclusive stock remaining that was destined for TRU.

Examples:

- 10507 stock appeared, higher than MSRP: https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-DUPLO-First-Train-10507/dp/B00C9X592K/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1530370908&sr=1-3&keywords=10508

I'm sure there's others... Just ran into these the past few days.

bought a boatful of 10507 when target cleared them out 2 weeks ago for $20.98 so tru was not the only retailer.  these were also in store at target and i'm waiting for them to get clearanced.

3 hours ago, cladner said:

bought a boatful of 10507 when target cleared them out 2 weeks ago for $20.98 so tru was not the only retailer.  these were also in store at target and i'm waiting for them to get clearanced.

Yea, I guess it is still floating around a few places (Kmart, too). Amazon had been in and out of stock and then seemingly finally out but got a bunch more. Maybe just warehouse stock...

On 6/22/2018 at 1:18 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

yes.... nothing to worry about just yet. 

It's now a problem. Amazon has officially recognized 19 of the 67 units in that box, saying that the box contents were wrong for the other 48. Essentially they are saying that I shipped 15 polybags, 3 brickheadz, and a small juniors set in a 37 pound, 24x24x18 box. So now 4 figures worth of inventory is essentially gone. I know that if I ask them to investigate that shipment through the system, they will just confirm that their count was accurate. Amazon gurus, what's my best chance of recovering this mistake? Should I call them and hope for a good rep? 

1 hour ago, Pebble&Park said:

It's now a problem. Amazon has officially recognized 19 of the 67 units in that box, saying that the box contents were wrong for the other 48. Essentially they are saying that I shipped 15 polybags, 3 brickheadz, and a small juniors set in a 37 pound, 24x24x18 box. So now 4 figures worth of inventory is essentially gone. I know that if I ask them to investigate that shipment through the system, they will just confirm that their count was accurate. Amazon gurus, what's my best chance of recovering this mistake? Should I call them and hope for a good rep? 

Next step is the Reconcile tab. Hopefully they'll investigate and suddenly find them or reimburse. There's a good chance you'll get the inventory.

I have, on multiple occasions, resorted to attaching photos of the box contents with the label in the picture to cases asking for reimbursement if they don't properly reconcile after another week or two past the reconcile date. It has seemed to help (or perhaps it's just the re-opening of the case again and again and asking them to check again). I have, on multiple occasions, failed and wound up losing sets that I know were in the box with no reimbursement. On the other hand, I have also had them over-count boxes, tell them "unexpected" in the reconciliation, and even open a case saying those were not in the shipment. Still, they stuck to the counts and once I sold the sets -- low and behold -- they couldn't find them to ship to the customer and wound up reimbursing me for them. I suppose it kinda works out.

However, the worst was when I had a couple large boxes come in for Christmas in the fall (50 pound limit for non pallets!) and they failed to receive something like 95% of the inventory (like you). Eventually back and forth with reconciliation, had to provide receipts, and they reimbursed me a few weeks later. Then -- and this really takes the cake -- they "found" the inventory after Christmas, deducted the reimbursement, and I was left with loads of Advents, Holiday sets, etc in January or February.

It blows, but, cost of business with Amazon. Hopefully they reconcile!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Anyone have a recommendation for scales they use to weigh large boxes? I normally ship 22x22x21 or 24x24x24 style boxes. Thanks!

This is the one I use and I love it. Sturdy, large base with a long cord, backlit display when in use, and most importantly no auto shutoff.

Just now, cobrakai said:

This is the one I use and I love it. Sturdy, large base with a long cord, backlit display when in use, and most importantly no auto shutoff.

Sorry forgot link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0084P0O4A?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

• 3 weeks later...

I could use some insight here.  Returns via FBA.  I have repackaging services disabled.  I always recall the item so I can check it myself.  However, a few days ago I had an item returned that apparently was in "sellable" condition, so it was returned to my FBA inventory :(   I have 6 of those sets in my FBA inventory.  Anyway to get that one set pulled or do I just accept that it is in sellable condition?  The return reason was "item did not meet customer expectations".  Any responses appreciated.

5 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

I could use some insight here.  Returns via FBA.  I have repackaging services disabled.  I always recall the item so I can check it myself.  However, a few days ago I had an item returned that apparently was in "sellable" condition, so it was returned to my FBA inventory :(   I have 6 of those sets in my FBA inventory.  Anyway to get that one set pulled or do I just accept that it is in sellable condition?  The return reason was "item did not meet customer expectations".  Any responses appreciated.

You would need to recall the entire ASIN to check that one unit. I say leave and see how it goes. in 95% of the cases, you wont have a problem when it resells. Also the repackaging service doesnt apply in these cases. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LegoBro said:

Right as BA was suggesting this is pretty common for returns. More often than not the unsellable returns I receive wind up being barely more than shelf wear and can happily be sent right back in after confirming seals and checking weight matches originals. I would imagine that the "sellable" ones really do have to be returned in very great shape. I suppose if something bad happened, you could at least point to the inventory history and tell Amazon that they listed it as sellable.

Edited by chrisynd
then/than
  • Like 1

INDIANAPOLIS— The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) is announcing next steps after the U.S. Supreme Court issued its landmark decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc on June 21, 2018.

Out-of-state retail merchants with annual gross revenues from Indiana sales exceeding $100,000, or 200 or more separate Indiana transactions will need to register and remit Indiana sales tax.

Pending resolution of a declaratory judgment action filed in 2017, DOR will begin enforcing Indiana’s economic nexus law on October 1, 2018, on a prospective basis.

The Wayfair decision overturned the Court’s 1992 ruling in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, which required a retail merchant to have a physical presence in a state to be subject to state sales tax registration and collection requirements.

Indiana’s existing “economic nexus” law, effective July 1, 2017, is found at IC 6-2.5-2-1©, and provides that a retail merchant that does not have a physical presence in Indiana shall collect the gross retail tax on a retail transaction made in Indiana if certain threshold requirements are met.

The law, which was challenged in the fall of 2017 and remains subject to a pending declaratory judgment action regarding its constitutionality, is directly impacted by the outcome of the Wayfair decision.

Remote sellers seeking to comply with the laws of multiple states (including Indiana) should register with the Streamlined Sales Tax Registration system (link removed). Remote sellers seeking to comply with only Indiana’s economic nexus law should register through the online portal, INBiz, at (link removed)

DOR will continue to be a resource for both out-of-state and in-state merchants. In addition, DOR will continue to provide further updates online at (link removed). Interested parties may subscribe to receive email updates as more information is provided on the website.

21 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

INDIANAPOLIS— The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) is announcing next steps after the U.S. Supreme Court issued its landmark decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc on June 21, 2018.

Out-of-state retail merchants with annual gross revenues from Indiana sales exceeding $100,000, or 200 or more separate Indiana transactions will need to register and remit Indiana sales tax.

Pending resolution of a declaratory judgment action filed in 2017, DOR will begin enforcing Indiana’s economic nexus law on October 1, 2018, on a prospective basis.

The Wayfair decision overturned the Court’s 1992 ruling in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, which required a retail merchant to have a physical presence in a state to be subject to state sales tax registration and collection requirements.

Indiana’s existing “economic nexus” law, effective July 1, 2017, is found at IC 6-2.5-2-1©, and provides that a retail merchant that does not have a physical presence in Indiana shall collect the gross retail tax on a retail transaction made in Indiana if certain threshold requirements are met.

The law, which was challenged in the fall of 2017 and remains subject to a pending declaratory judgment action regarding its constitutionality, is directly impacted by the outcome of the Wayfair decision.

Remote sellers seeking to comply with the laws of multiple states (including Indiana) should register with the Streamlined Sales Tax Registration system (link removed). Remote sellers seeking to comply with only Indiana’s economic nexus law should register through the online portal, INBiz, at (link removed)

DOR will continue to be a resource for both out-of-state and in-state merchants. In addition, DOR will continue to provide further updates online at (link removed). Interested parties may subscribe to receive email updates as more information is provided on the website.

Is that annual from 10/1 - 9/30, or 1/1 - 12/31?

I was wondering what the process is like to get ungated on Amazon. I’ve tried several times but I keep getting the same reply, saying that I need a letter/invoice from an authorized distributor. I have been selling on eBay since 2011, and also several other outlets.

Edited by TedNFlitsBricks

• 2 weeks later...