Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

It can take days.... U are waiting for payment to clear

Does it mean someone is paying with something suspicious? How does it look from buyer perspective? I.e. if one wants Advent Calendar, and it takes days for payment to clear, wouldn't he be angry at me that his order does not arrive by Dec 1st, just because his payment was being delayed? Or it is quite transparent for the buyer?

Some buyer order stuck in "pending" for almost 24 hours already. Does that happen often? I though pending should take at most few hours, but not entire day I would think...

I just had an order ship out to a customer today that was placed on the 9th!  Very uncommon - certainly a new record.

Some buyer order stuck in "pending" for almost 24 hours already. Does that happen often? I though pending should take at most few hours, but not entire day I would think...

yes, it can take days. usually means the buyers credit card is at its limit, or amz's anti-fraud system detects something amiss.

Edited by SpaceFan9

It can take days.... U are waiting for payment to clear

Does it mean someone is paying with something suspicious? How does it look from buyer perspective? I.e. if one wants Advent Calendar, and it takes days for payment to clear, wouldn't he be angry at me that his order does not arrive by Dec 1st, just because his payment was being delayed? Or it is quite transparent for the buyer?

TTBOMK, the buyer is aware. I once tried to place an order with an expired card, and I got a few emails saying, in effect, 'payment method needs to be updated'. The buyer shouldnt be upset, since its in their control. And, it wont hit your amazon performance metrics. I had a buyer last year that spent 5 days in 'pending', and the 'must confirm shipment date' was moved once everything was set right.

The biggest drawback is that it ties up inventory.

Edited by SpaceFan9

TTBOMK, the buyer is aware. I once tried to place an order with an expired card, and I got a few emails saying, in effect, 'payment method needs to be updated'. The buyer shouldnt be upset, since its in their control. And, it wont hit your amazon performance metrics. I had a buyer last year that spent 5 days in 'pending', and the 'must confirm shipment date' was moved once everything was set right.

The biggest drawback is that it ties up inventory.

I hope competitive sellers don't use this as a war tool... Tie up a bunch of inventory of sellers under your price, profit? Or amazon would figure this out?

It can be pretty frustrating. A couple of weeks ago I had a Sopwith tied up in pending status for 6 days and then it never went through. It worked out because in the interim the price had moved up a bit and I ended up making a little more when I was able to put it back up for sale. But that week was rough, I had 5 pending orders and none of them ended up as sales. In the mean time, it's not listed for sale to anyone else. I wish Amazon would come up with a fix for it - as NMM mentioned above, it could be abused by a rival 3rd-party seller to drive buyers towards their items. That. Would. Suck.

• Like 1

It can be pretty frustrating. A couple of weeks ago I had a Sopwith tied up in pending status for 6 days and then it never went through. It worked out because in the interim the price had moved up a bit and I ended up making a little more when I was able to put it back up for sale. But that week was rough, I had 5 pending orders and none of them ended up as sales. In the mean time, it's not listed for sale to anyone else. I wish Amazon would come up with a fix for it - as NMM mentioned above, it could be abused by a rival 3rd-party seller to drive buyers towards their items. That. Would. Suck.

It can be in 'pending' for 7 days with the buyers primary payment method. Amazon then gives them the opportunity to change payment methods and will try that one for 7 days. So, potentially 2 weeks. In my limited experience, this has never happened.

Amazon does police other buyers and the behavior you speak of. They would have to go to extraordinary lengths to do this and if caught, face immediate banhammertime.

It can be in 'pending' for 7 days with the buyers primary payment method. Amazon then gives them the opportunity to change payment methods and will try that one for 7 days. So, potentially 2 weeks. In my limited experience, this has never happened.

Amazon does police other buyers and the behavior you speak of. They would have to go to extraordinary lengths to do this and if caught, face immediate banhammertime.

yes. its not only 7 days. its actually to 21 days. i have had few orders that stayed in pending status for 21 days and eventually got cancelled. different items. since i had multiple quantity so it did not become an issue.  it will be frustrating when you have single item listed but its better to not have order go through than having to deal with the non-payment/bad order....

most likely i think those situation happen when user/buyer buys and cancels same item multiple times and/or their payment has some issue. mostly with orders that are paid by someone and shipped to different address. { its just a speculation. yes those pending orders most of the time says "payment pending" } also usually with the expiring credit cards etc...

i do not think 3rd party sellers "will go through" those kind of abuses. i mean literally they will use another account with bad payment information for repeated times.. i doubt that's sustainable or even manageable.... and how many sales will they be getting with that? that kind of abuse not worth for the return... at least in the surface....

Edited by newbie77

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how to formulate this properly for google..

If a buyer on Amazon initiated the return, i authorized, he printed the label and shipped it back - where do i find the tracking number of the return shipment? I don't see it in "return details".  

Thanks!

You don't unless the buyer sent it to you.  If you authorize a return without providing a prepaid label, then the buyer can ship it via whatever method they choose.

You don't unless the buyer sent it to you.  If you authorize a return without providing a prepaid label, then the buyer can ship it via whatever method they choose.

But in my case, return detail mentions "Amazon Label", so i assume that buyer is returning via Amazon shipping (I think?). kinda strange that they would not include tracking number in details. Also, when i authorized the return, I did not see anywhere in the workflow an option to send pre-paid label. Once i authorized the return, it is up to customer to make next step, correct?

But in my case, return detail mentions "Amazon Label", so i assume that buyer is returning via Amazon shipping (I think?). kinda strange that they would not include tracking number in details. Also, when i authorized the return, I did not see anywhere in the workflow an option to send pre-paid label. Once i authorized the return, it is up to customer to make next step, correct?

If this was a Fulfilled by Merchant order, then that likely means that it was an unpaid shipping label provided by Amazon (which is one of the two options when you authorize a return).

If this was a Fulfilled by Merchant order, then that likely means that it was an unpaid shipping label provided by Amazon (which is one of the two options when you authorize a return).

I don't remember seeing the choice when authorizing the return. I guess if customer chooses non-seller fault for the return, they only get single option.

So, it is buyer responsibility at this point  I assume

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been covered(I searched and couldn't find anything). I listed some things for sell on Amazon and they haven't sold, so I went to check if I was still the lowest price and all my items said "blocked unless FBA". Is this new? I sold some RI when they were going for $100 and didn't fulfill by Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome me to the Amazon club.  Opened my seller account yesterday and posted a few items - so now I can say I've been selling on Amzn since 2014 :)  I set my prices at the low end, just 'cause I'm eager to get my first sales... I understand the fee structure, payments, etc, in theory, but want to see how it really works in practice. Got my first 2 sales today, and yowzah ... I am learning about fees (and shipping)!  Anyway, wish me luck... and if anyone wants to share their experience with a noob, send me a PM... I'd be glad to hear anything you have to say.  :)

• Like 2

In 2014 I sold 43 sets on Amazon. I had one return after the buyer assembled it, and threw it back in the box and claimed it was damaged. I had a second sale where the buyer tried to use feedback to extort a partial refund. Reported to Amazon and feedback was not counted against me but still displays with a line through it.

I sold 180 items not Lego related and not one return. Selling Legos on Amazon scares me, but until I lose money I will keep doing it.

Total sales $2620.06

Amazon Fees $661.73

Merchandise cost $1184.30

Profit $831.38

I do this more as a hobby and to be able to offset the cost of purchasing Legos for my kids so there are all sort of misc expenses I didn't figure in.