79018 - The Lonely Mountain

UK Asda and Smyths had them at £50 for a short time and Argos had them at £75 for considerably longer.   With discounts / cash back really not had to pick them up with 30%+ off.  I have 5 at £70 per.   There will be plenty of people quite happy to turn over their £50 sets at around RRP right now. 

• Like 1

Were there many discounts other than lego shop 30% on EOL??

So, once again, it escapes me what interest these good folk have in taking less than 30 euros from a sale after commissions.

Still, as long as they go to real buyers, one less sealed box on the market.

I don't understand these guys either.

But I bought my cheapest ones for ~ 87 € and I bet that was not the cheapest it has been in Germany. If you sell now for 190-200 € (still talking about Germany) you double your money after fees. 80+ € doesn't sound bad for only a few months after EOL so I'm optimistic about holding my LMs a little longer.

• Like 1

What's popping? xD

I'm not a native english speaker so I can only assume... it means something like "he'll be porking some Cheerios" ^.^

Alternatives "he'll be crushing and curmbling them"

And then of course there could be the spelling mistake one that you've already figured out xD

I don't understand these guys either.

But I bought my cheapest ones for ~ 87 € and I bet that was not the cheapest it has been in Germany. If you sell now for 190-200 € (still talking about Germany) you double your money after fees. 80+ € doesn't sound bad for only a few months after EOL so I'm optimistic about holding my LMs a little longer.

see I totally agree!

So, once again, it escapes me what interest these good folk have in taking less than 30 euros from a sale after commissions.

Still, as long as they go to real buyers, one less sealed box on the market.

30€ isn't all that bad. Don't know what your hourly payment is, but if you don't have to make a living out of your brickvesting (and don't pay taxes for it) then 30€ is more then most people get net per hour. If you need 3 hours to buy one of these 30€ profit sets  and you don't even enjoy your time then it might not be worth your time (here I agree).

Without being able to glimpse into the future I'd say that you can't always predict 100% which set will double your profit. If you make 30€ profit with a set you bought for 100€ then this is 30%. That's about 30 times more than you'll get on your bank account for that money (involving little more work done correctly). For smalltime investors (like me for example) who think that their 1000-10000€ are better invested in LEGO than by just putting it on their bankaccount it absolutely makes sense.

If you have no financial troubles at all and you can throw your money away and take any risk you want because LEGO doesn't pay your bills... of course you can wait however long you want and take any risk doing so. If not 30€ might be a better deal than 100€ if you cannot sell your 100€ profit set that often BUT can sell 10 times (or more) of the 30€ set.

It's all a matter of perspective and honestly it "escapes ME" why this fact escapes you :-P (meaning no offense).

But yes: I am also happy to sell for more than 30€ profit!

But selling for less can also be satisfying.

Lone Ranger for example: Selling it without losing money or with making 10€ profit is better than nothing *g*

Another point that has to be made: If everybody would try the same strategy: let's say for example only investing in big expensive sets and absolute winners (I'm just guessing that's your strategy) not even taking into consideration many of the smaller sets, what would happen? Firstly that means trouble for the bigger sets and your strategy. Secondly the smaller sets would overwhelmingly appreciate after EOL because only very few people hold them.

TRU 'points' bring the price down more if you care...  of course all of this is trumped by TRUTH if your local store still has it in stock.  Mine seems to always have one out on the floor.

Of course but everyone should have bought these from B&N a couple of days ago...

My TRU has been out of the LM sets for quite some time now…thanks to me, I guess.  And it looks like the hobbit sets are being knocked out day by day.  The Mirkwood Elf Army was the latest casualty.  Another cool set, IMO, but with how long it's lingered, while the other DOS sets have gone away, leaves me to wonder if it might be a very slow riser.  I would guess sets with Wargs would do well, but then again maybe that doesn't matter. It might net one a little bit of profits, but probably wont' be more than 2x to 3x a few years from now.

It looks like if there are a time to grab the remaining hobbit sets, now's the time.  Then again, will Lake Town Attack, Dol Guldur Battle, Witch King Battle, and Battle of the Five Armies really do anything?  Its tough to say… I have stocked up on a few of these over time and already have many of these boxed away, so i'm not sure I want to invest in anymore.  I think pairing the Dol Guldur Battle with the Witch King Battle and Dol Guldur Ambush could net some profits, and that's my strategy with those sets, since they connect together.  

• 3 weeks later...