79018 - The Lonely Mountain

Lego really dropped the ball on these LOTR/Hobbit sets.  Too many facades when there were some epic moments they could have captured.  The best bets have been (and will be) the buildings - Unexpected Gathering and ToO.  I really think they missed out by not making an epic Bridge of Khazadum scene since they love dioramas in this line.  The Hobbit was even worse than the LOTR with these little half-built scenes...

I don't like this set other than Smaug, but its saving grace is the limited availability...it is tough to justify a $129 set having just 5 figs, even if it does have a big dragon..

Will pick up a few, but I feel there are better investments out there.

Now that I've said this, it will probably triple the year after EOL.

• Like 1

Ahh, that would be GST. Sorry, when I do numbers I get in the "zone". Thinking through my fingers I guess you could say, $120, take away $12 in VIP, but add 5% GST. :drinks:

Aaah. I was thinking an additional 5% off. I guess your in Alberta with no pst. Lucky bugger!

Not to mention the bionicle mask (is it still in stock?!). Don't forget to use your march calendar coupons too if you haven't already.

Speaking of the coupon, is it for 1 minifigure or a pack of 3 minifigures?

I believe it says "mini build" on it. Not too sure what that entails though.

Not to mention the bionicle mask (is it still in stock?!). Don't forget to use your march calendar coupons too if you haven't already.

Speaking of the coupon, is it for 1 minifigure or a pack of 3 minifigures?

My Lego stores only allow 1 miniifigure per coupon

Lego really dropped the ball on these LOTR/Hobbit sets. Too many facades when there were some epic moments they could have captured. The best bets have been (and will be) the buildings - Unexpected Gathering and ToO. I really think they missed out by not making an epic Bridge of Khazadum scene since they love dioramas in this line. The Hobbit was even worse than the LOTR with these little half-built scenes...

I don't like this set other than Smaug, but its saving grace is the limited availability...it is tough to justify a $129 set having just 5 figs, even if it does have a big dragon..

Will pick up a few, but I feel there are better investments out there.

Now that I've said this, it will probably triple the year after EOL.

I don't know. I like what it is aside from the price. It could have really used a raised gold baseplate to recreate the scene. It's not really priced any worse than some other big sets like Jabba's Palace. It just received a very limited run and very few discounts. I picked up one today because I had some VIP points to burn and have wanted to build it. I know I can sell it easily down the road if I want.

I thought I was funny when I picked mine up this morning the employee said, "The box is a little dinged up down here at the bottom. Are you going to build it or..." She was trailing off but I did kind of cut her off explaining that I was getting it for my son, but now I wish I would have let her finish. It sounds like they may have had quite a few resellers coming in to buy these things at full price. Without the normal Target/walmart/Kmart clearance the price should skyrocket if it retires in the next few months. I mean outside of regional clearance (Meijer) has this set ever been available for less than $100?

I might pickup one or two tomorrow. I already have four so its pushing the limits of my new investment strategy (limited multiples of non exclusives).

This set is closer to a real exclusive then an actual exclusive. You can buy this set at far less places then an exclusive set.
  • Like 2

If this thing goes early, as many of us expect, then even the 139.00 buy in at TRU will seem like a steal, becaue this will easily be the most sought after set in the LOTR/Hobbit line.  And it truly is limited.  It may not be exclusive in name, but it's pretty exclusive the way it is being sold. 

• Like 1

This set is closer to a real exclusive then an actual exclusive. You can buy this set at far less places then an exclusive set.

I've seen this at Meijer and TRU multiple times.  Then again, I realize not everyone has a Meijer.  Plus, TRU prices are jacked up.  So I see your point.   Are you saying I should buy one, two, or all of them?

I've seen this at Meijer and TRU multiple times. Then again, I realize not everyone has a Meijer. Plus, TRU prices are jacked up. So I see your point. Are you saying I should buy one, two, or all of them?

3 online outlets have this at retail now.

Look up a random exclusive, say Persian restaurant, available at far more.

I have 4. I'll have 20 by tomorrow. Follow my lead if u wish. :)

What's the limit you think at the lego store? I'm worried about being branded a lego reseller and banned at my local one.

I don't think B&M stores ban customers. But if you want to avoid looking like a reseller, I'd suggest showing up with a number of children in tow that matches the number of sets you are purchasing. :P

• Like 1

This set is under the radar as far as the public goes.  If it were released with the first Hobbit film it would have been a hit.  The studios really botched things up by forcing a trilogy instead of one or two films.  The best scenes are with Smaug and The Lonely Mountain.

Edited by Mathew

I went to my local lego store, picked up the last two on the shelf.  20% off.  The clerk had to go back and check if it had a limit of one or not.  The guy in the know came out and said I could not only buy two, but they had a bunch more in the back and I could get more if I wanted.  I got two more.  

• Like 2

I picked up four today at the Lego Store.  The employee said it was done, not getting anymore.  He basically said, if it goes on sale, stick a fork into it.  When I asked if I can buy more than two, he said, on sale items, they don't really care how many you buy.  So, I bought four total, I wish I could have bought the remaining 8 but no money.

I went to my local lego store, picked up the last two on the shelf. 20% off. The clerk had to go back and check if it had a limit of one or not. The guy in the know came out and said I could not only buy two, but they had a bunch more in the back and I could get more if I wanted. I got two more.

mist be nice to not get told only two at every lego store. Man what a day. One manager hated us. Why does box condition matter if u are just gonna build it he told another bper ...... Don T sass us son, we just spent 2000.00 in your store. You should carry all our sets to the car for us. One of the other stores gave me several of the free promo..... Hoth hans? Yeah, u know the one from b wing days. Weird.

Crazy day. 2 States. 1900 spent on lego. 25.00 spent on mega blok :)

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 2