79018 - The Lonely Mountain

I've yet to see this set at Wal-Mart or Target. Actually I have yet to see any of this wave at any of the half-dozen Walmarts around me. The only places I have seen The Lonely Mountain are Meijer and TRU. TRU has a couple of dozen, which I will be buying throughout the course of the year using coupons and rewards. The limited availability has me getting higher on this set by the minute.

The only sale on this that I know of (and was able to take advantage of) was the 25% off plus Santa Bucks at Meijer in mid-December. At the time I thought this would be widely available in 2015 and there would be plenty of chances to find them at some sort of discount. I've got 3 with an average buy-in of $90, plus one for my personal collection. I'm kicking myself for not using my multiple Meijer accounts to load up when I had the chance.

It will be really interesting to see what happens to this set. As Grynn mentioned, if it is pulled early it could be amazing - or if it becomes a TRU never-ending exclusive we could all be crying for years to come.

FWIW there has been extremely limited availability of this set in Australia, it was apparently spotted in a few stores in November but since then has only been available at Lego SAH.

This set feels massively overpriced at RRP however it doesn't look like there'll be much opportunity to get this at a discount.

It just came out in Oct. Calm down.

mscheaf so that no one interprets me wrong - I am not saying it is retiring. i am not saying it is even close to retiring.

No one please read my comment as it is retiring.

I am saying for instance the arctic supply plane lasted 4-6 months and if you call LEGO Shop at Home they say it is retired.

There is a new lego retirement game possibly afoot that we do not understand.

If the LOTR license goes (which we have no basis for) then this is the only other set of LOTR Hobbit I want to collect some of.

So since I want to have some for sure, I am going to choose to invest into it.  It could be a bad choice. I don't know.

Realistically this should last into 2016 at least.  Common logic would say it will be here until late 2016.

But beyond the one for me from the Meijer santa bucks sales I have no other and would like to have a few before it goes - 2015, 2016, 2017, etc., etc.

Plus put that with online only in my area and I just feel the need to get a few (maybe 5) in case.

Could other sets retire early and I miss them? Sure and that's fine.  This is one I want a few of.  Not buying 20 now.  A few.

We've been suggested to invest early and buy spread out smoothly and often to avoid the panic.  I want some with me to avoid any panic down the road.

• Like 1

It just came out in Oct. Calm down.

True, but many retail stores have stocked the Hobbit sets sparingly and with the movies behind us I can see even more clearing out their inventory or reducing shelf space by summer.  I can see LEGO selling through this theme before the end of 2015 with limited opportunities to get this last wave at a discount unless you catch them on clearance or LEGO puts them on sale at the end.

All of this is speculation of course but I do not see a lot of retailer interest in holding a spot for this theme that is moving into the rear view mirror in regards to it's media presence, other than the brief Blu-ray/DVD release in the Spring.

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 1

It seems that quite few sets (in comparison with the 1st wave) have been produced for the 3rd wave, especially this set.

To be true, I've only seen this set... in online stores.

Now it's only available on LEGO Shop at Home in my country.

But maybe we are an exception, who knows.

So, what if there are no more, let's say, on march/april ? Will lego produce some more sets, considering that movies are no more on screens and new lego themes are coming and retailers shelves will need some more room for those ? Quite unlikely to see another run next month IMO... (only the very last one to fulfill retailers backorders, as usual)

Smaug could be one of the most expensive lego figure, ever... (I mean non-limited, but removed from a set)

We'll see some more Hulk minifigs, some more Darth vader, rancor... but how many smaug ?

I wonder how many time will we have to wait to see on ebay some knock-offs from china. :)

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

mscheaf so that no one interprets me wrong - I am not saying it is retiring. i am not saying it is even close to retiring.

No one please read my comment as it is retiring.

I am saying for instance the arctic supply plane lasted 4-6 months and if you call LEGO Shop at Home they say it is retired.

There is a new lego retirement game possibly afoot that we do not understand.

If the LOTR license goes (which we have no basis for) then this is the only other set of LOTR Hobbit I want to collect some of.

So since I want to have some for sure, I am going to choose to invest into it. It could be a bad choice. I don't know.

Realistically this should last into 2016 at least. Common logic would say it will be here until late 2016.

But beyond the one for me from the Meijer santa bucks sales I have no other and would like to have a few before it goes - 2015, 2016, 2017, etc., etc.

Plus put that with online only in my area and I just feel the need to get a few (maybe 5) in case.

Could other sets retire early and I miss them? Sure and that's fine. This is one I want a few of. Not buying 20 now. A few.

We've been suggested to invest early and buy spread out smoothly and often to avoid the panic. I want some with me to avoid any panic down the road.

I get that but this isn't a tiny little tru exclusive city set.

I have seen zero of these also.. None at any Walmart. TRU, Targets in my area.. and there never has been.

They have a couple of the other Hobbit sets... But even those are few and far between. Mostly some BOFA and WKB.

I think this whole wave will slip away quietly.

Edited by DarthDrake

I have seen zero of these also.. None at any Walmart. TRU, Targets in my area.. and there never has been.

They have a couple of the other Hobbit sets... But even those are few and far between. Mostly some BOTFA and WKB.

I think this whole wave will slip away quietly.

Definitely looks like it will largely be an online only wave - shelf space around me had little to none of the third wave, and if they don't pop up soon I fear the upcoming summer waves will take their place.

I could see these being available mostly online for many buyers for the duration of the run.

• 1 month later...

Anyone finding these anywhere for less than RRP? Target red card does not count since that does not cover tax. I mean real % off of retail. I really want a stack of these but I cannot bring myself to pay RRP.

I wish, I've been waiting for any sale since I think it will do well. I only bought 1 to build so far.

It could help but also it might hinder the growth a little bit for the whole set because not as many people know about it other than more hardcore people. Smaug will always sell well, it's a sweet red dragon. The bricks are also pretty nice, I think they could be used in a lot of different ways. With a set like this I think more exposure is better but I could very well be wrong and have too watch Smaug continue to own the gold.