Monster Fighters - general discussion

BudWiser72

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So far 2014 hasn't helped the Monster Fighters theme. There are various reasons: clearance sales, TRU selling sets well after retirement, seems like Lego didn't even put in 10% of the marketing that went into Chima, etc...

I think 2015 will be a better year. See, 99% of sets have their biggest ROI % gain the their 1st full year after retirement. 2014 and 2015 is really the time period of most MF sets' true 1st full year of retirement due to TRU. However, the Hearse is another story due to shop@home's $10 clearance sale. Even my nicely discounted $15-$17 Hearse purchases can't complete with the $10 ones.

If I'm wrong about 2015 , I'll be unloading nearly MANY sets for small profits (I'll keep a few MISBs for each set as 'insurance'. I'm sure we have other members in the same boat regardless of the # of sets in their collection.

Regardless, MF is still one of Lego's cooler themes I've ever built.

Let's hope Halloween and the looks to be getting retired Haunted House helps increase demand for the other sets.

Note : The Zombies is still a star but it's ROI growth is finally slowing down due to ebay's flood to under-cutters (started in July). The sets were selling for $20 more then.

• 3 weeks later...

I am newbie to the modern era of Lego, got back into it a month ago and missed out on the MF theme but I really like it, I have a HH already but would like to collect the rest of it, obviously I know its EOL and anything I pick up will be inflated in price but would I be advised to try pick up sets now from eBay and such as its only going to go up in value or wait it out a bit and maybe see some prices slowly drop?    Thanks  Stuart

I am newbie to the modern era of Lego, got back into it a month ago and missed out on the MF theme but I really like it, I have a HH already but would like to collect the rest of it, obviously I know its EOL and anything I pick up will be inflated in price but would I be advised to try pick up sets now from eBay and such as its only going to go up in value or wait it out a bit and maybe see some prices slowly drop?    Thanks  Stuart

Nobody knows for sure what will happen with the Monster Fighters theme after the holiday season.  The prices might drop a bit after Halloween and maybe pick-up again closer to Christmas.  They might also drop again in February 2015, after the holiday buying frenzy.  Nobody really knows, so it's a risk.  I'd at least wait until after Halloween to pick these up.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=615&sort=set_us_price&order=desc

For those who already 'wasted' money on this theme (like me), there is hope.

Prices are slowly yet steadily rising and the latest BP guide values don't even include many Halloween sales yet.

Like the Cars 1, Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 sets from 2010-2011, there will be nice profits for most sets especially after another year of sitting on sets.. The Ghost Train, Werewolf, and Crazy Scientist have all increased past MSRP. Until all TRUs run out of the Vamp Castle, I think The Crazy Scientist is the best set to own after The Zombies and Haunted House.

In hindsight, generally everything went wrong for this line. Thus, we could have made more money elsewhere. With the exception of The Zombies & Haunted House, none of the other sets "spiked" in value from demand prior to and after retirement. That is due to TRU never discounting them (some stores still have these sets) and Lego not cutting production sooner. Additionally, Lego never really advertised this line in print nor tv ads like they do with City, Chima, and Ninjago.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think there might be more interest in the MF theme now that there is more attention on the HH.

I agree, there does seem to be a slight increase in interest as the HH is getting so very hard to find.  Sometimes it's that one set that pulls the rest of the line along with it...

I agree, there does seem to be a slight increase in interest as the HH is getting so very hard to find.  Sometimes it's that one set that pulls the rest of the line along with it...

I think this line is going to do very well in the coming year. The 'TRU exclusive' nightmare is finally coming to a close, which has clouded the actual potential of this line over the last ten months or so. Even now, there are still a few VCs and werewolves floating around at TRU in Canada (as well as the other sets in the line in other places at MSRP), so I don't think we'll see the best gains until next Halloween and 2016. That being said, I think this line has classic appeal and unless it is remade in the next 12 months or so those that stuck by the MF line will be rewarded. Or I'm delusional.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So the rumor today is that there will be a new theme next year that will "loosely" be a follow up to Monster Fighters.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/316624/#Comment_316624

via http://www.thebrickfan.com/rumored-2015-lego-sets-including-brand-new-theme/

"a little retro and very kid friendly" and has monsters?

How about a new Doctor Who line?  It's old (retro), it's kid-friends, the Doctor battles monsters every week...

Character Building had the Scooby Doo license. I've seen them at TRU. Don't know if they still have the license, though.

Well, if you check out their website they only have two products available, both being minifigure packs. The theme appears to be discontinued for the most part.

Does this mean the new (LEGO) theme is Scooby Doo, definitely not. Could very well just be a coincidence.

Scooby Doo would fit the bill. There were a ton of monsters in the cartoon. Werewolves. Mummies. Zombies. It would be a very heavy minifigures theme.

And each monster has a bandit head under the monster helm because in the original series there were no monsters as I remember.

However with this they could do a Monsters Minifigures run. That would be awesome.

Edited by inversion