10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

42 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Funny guy.. don't you have some fingerlings to sell in a TRU parking lot somewhere. ;)

I have to admit to buying a fingerlings today from TRU. Just learned about them from a coworker, that same coworker might have purchased a few raptor escape sets for me from SAH. Did we corner the market?, NO. Did we help each other out?, YEP. Love you brickpickers.. carry on.

I have one $MINTY$ 10221 but don't have the jingle bells to FBA it.

13 hours ago, flynnibus said:

For me, the Lego KO's don't seem to be suitable replacement.  I've only watched the reviews and read other's experiences tho.  I had enough of the Lego copies at a kid to have little interest in even 'better' alternate brands like Megablocks even tho they have some good themes.  For the extreme edge, like 10179 and 10221... I just chose not to have the kit.  I don't have a good way to display them anyways.. and the penalty for opening and building one of these sets just isn't worth the cost to me.  So even tho the KO makes the cost less... Its still like "why?"

I often wonder how many of these 1-2k dollar sets are sold to be built or not.  Tho, I guess enough people spend that kind of money bricklinking sets... so I guess enough do :)

I always tough people who spent that kind of money on a set (1k+)don't open them. if they would, I think it's better to buy it used with box etc...   For the KO, I buy 100% lego myself, and like you, i just don't buy it if it's too high in price(well i got a SSD anyway with trade). But when I check sold listing on ebay, the KO are selling quit good... more sold then genuine lego in matter of fact. So, KO is a problem and will be more in a future if quality keep rising.  The other problem with lego is: fatigue.   Since about 2010, lego fan has been increasing quit fast, thats a reason why pre-2010 sets are worth so much. Now, I think they begin to lose some fan, the spike is over, the hype is over the growth is over, some people who got into it are selling all they collection and moving to something else. That take  us straight to overproduction, saturation of theme and set etc, poor design or remake ((since everything WAS selling like hot cakes).  EZ money for the compagnie, but in long term effects all the market. And like I said before, everything end with extreme.  We see many extreme in the lego market. All the reselling market is pushed to the limits. After what, it's over. And repeat maybe the cycle.

3 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I don't see 10221 in the threat of remake category for a while yet. ISD maybe. Although they may do FOSD instead. 

The only certainty is that it WILL be remade. When is anyone´s guess and stuff like ISD or AT AT should come first.

We also have to think that with a DS and a Falcon already, maybe they will leave the barrel scraping on hold for a few years.

4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The only certainty is that it WILL be remade. When is anyone´s guess and stuff like ISD or AT AT should come first.

We also have to think that with a DS and a Falcon already, maybe they will leave the barrel scraping on hold for a few years.

An interesting thought is for these marquee... $500+ sets.. how many will they field at a time?  If you keep say.. one mega UCS kit in production/inventory at once... then in say.. 2-3 years, switch to the 'next' mega UCS kit..  they could fill the need in the product line, stretch out the marketing impact/buzz, and reduce risk of over production/saturation.   Even with the existing models.. they could do this for a bit.

Basically... keep one 'mega' kit out there... milk it... then switch to the next.  But always keep one 'mega kit' out there for the price is no limit crowd.

Edited by flynnibus

15 hours ago, Val-E said:

They want to avoid cannibalising sales but they know that UCS fans are completists. Tricky one to judge.

My guess is the death star will roll on forever given they let first one run 8 years before a quick update and rerelease. MILF will have 2 years and if MILF proves popular and profitable they release another big one back end of 2019.  Most likely some kind of ISD.

There wouldn't be enough demand to reproduce and sell a set that only retired 3 yrs ago. DS is an anomaly rather than a trend.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I don't buy this one. Not been retired very long. Is there really that much demand for it? 

On a completely unrelated note, anyone want to buy a nib SSD? :derisive:

edit - This seems to be wishful thinking by a random reddit user. 

Most assume the inference was for an impending ISD.

3 minutes ago, California92563 said:

I really can’t seem them bringing back the SSD, an updated ISD makes a lot more sense. 

Anything is possible, but the timing is also wrong .. two months after Star Wars 8 and too late for the Xmas shopping season? Doesn't fit for a "back from the vault" kind of set .. especially since it would be impossible to gauge the success of the Taj Mahal before needing to get them into production. Some post-xmas buzz from an updated ISD would fit the bill a lot better.

Many people can't even distinguish between the SSD and ISD - they're just big spaceships to them.

• Like 1