10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

31 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

It could be an attempt to depress prices of the ssd. Get enough talk going and people might panic and begin mass sell offs. Just speculating here.

Considering it is now selling for 600 euros when 1000 was the high point, I doubt it.

24 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I don't understand your argument. Are you saying that people wouldn't sell off because it is 600 or that people don't want the price lower because it used to be 1000?

I meant that it´s late in the game to try and push the price down with remake rumours as that has already happened over the past year.

I do get what you mean though - it´s going to be a tactic some will use to try and get people to sell.

Wow It's looking like the Same Guy that Pedicted the TaJ re-release also PreDicted the SSD in 2018...

ill admit I don't have this set but If it's true a year from now I'll Bite...but like many have said..."the Collectability of these Big Sets is pointless..."

that being said, I tend to agree that by flooding the market with re-releases of these sets will hurt lego in the long run...but there are too many Variables and "what if's" that can happen in a 5 year cycle.

botom line Nobody has a crystal ball as to how many Sets TLG will re-release...but it Does create a Panic to be sure. 

As an investor in the NYSE for over 20 years...markets are fairly predictable if you look at a 10 year cycle...however, it's when that cycle is Tampered With or manipulated that tend To Screw things up...Be it Banks, or in this case The Lego Group itself...

i personally think the only Way TLG is going to Cease Manipulation is to Fail at a series of re-releases and go back to Creating  setting the Market back on track...

IMG_2112.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

said it before and am going to repeat it again... 

in the so-called process of stopping resellers TLG is destroying itself. 

I hear what you are saying...but I'm not so Sure

this lego investing really didn't get Hot until TLG were obtaining License To create Exclusive Product...That product Of past has since retired and Matured in Value...and so far (with the exception of The Death Star 10188)so far the ride took Most to 10 years before re-releasing. 

Even the sets they are re-releasing will retire eventually....so back in 2004 if you were 5 and missed out on a set like the 10134 ucs y-wing...you are now nearly 20 looking at a $100 set that's $600....and you'll gladly do it...but it excludes the young demographic today that do not have the means to spend that $600...so I think instead of re-inventing the wheel, TLG is re-vitalizing the Market to attract younger Fans...and if they can't acquire these sets for some reason, they'll create a future market for resellers...

so I think what it boils down to is..."how long do you hold on to a set to resell?"

my Bet is 5 years after retirement. ...and since you don't have a crystal ball...keep 1 or 2 sets in the Vault instead of holding out for the holy grail of a $10,000 10179. 

So my opinion is and it's only a theory, but I think YES it hurts the market in the short Run...But I also think in the long run, it will help perpetuate growth in the re-seller market.

just my 2¢??but trying to be positive here...please don't throw Fruit???

Guest TabbyBoy

One thing is for sure... I will NOT be ordering a resurrected SSD, especially if it’s £649.99 to keep it at a similar price to the MF as before. DON’T panic sell your 10221s until you know the price of the new one as it may be extortionate enough to make little difference. I was happy selling my last 10221s for £500 each cash which was still a good profit.

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, glucapg said:

Me too :-) waiting for Armageddon

Sent from my SM-G955F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I don´t get why anyone would still think hanging to these beyond TLJ is a good idea. It´s peak value was around TFA and I doubt it wil get back up to those heights before it is remade.

I still reckon they will redo ISD first but that will still contribute to containing prices on the other UCS sets.

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I don´t get why anyone would still think hanging to these beyond TLJ is a good idea. It´s peak value was around TFA and I doubt it wil get back up to those heights before it is remade.

I still reckon they will redo ISD first but that will still contribute to containing prices on the other UCS sets.

I do... it's greed!

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

It would be if there was any possibility of a rise in value but every day the CAGR on this set is dropping. Masochism, maybe?

I had a dozen and did great but held one. I can never seem to sell the last set even though I never intend to build. Have a whole shelf of one offs, couple grand of sets that have flatlined. Def masochism or some kind of hoarding disorder. 

• Haha 1