Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's only worth it if you buy the Dolphin Cruiser at -50% and hope shops run out by Xmas for a flip.  I'm not interested otherwise.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget people that according to Lego this is one of their best themes. I do believe that the 2012 stuff is the only stuff to invest in. Please see my previous post. My friends portfolio continues to sing in terms of appreciation, so we'll see what happens. It would be nice to clear out some space this Christmas for more exclusives. I could add quite a few if all but my big friends stuff were sold.

I listed them on ebay and my local craig's list. I prized them very competitive (lowest for new in sealed).

I have:

3061, 3063, 3184 (3), 3186, 3187, 3188 (3), 3930, 3933, 3934 and 3939.

I spotted a Friends Lot on eBay. The sets were used with pieces missing. And the starting price is a bit high...is this the Lot you were trying to sell?

I spotted a Friends Lot on eBay. The sets were used with pieces missing. And the starting price is a bit high...is this the Lot you were trying to sell?

Negative... I have only MISB and NISB sets. No used ones. I do not sell them in a lot. I mostly try to sell them one by one or in pairs.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I'm a European national, living in China and collecting Friends for my daughter as well as looking into some investments. China is probably one of the worst countries for Lego investment as all sets have the same prices everywhere, any shop, and they're quite inflated compared to elsewhere in the world. Furthermore there are never ever any discounts or bargains. For example the small 50-100 PCs Friends sets have a fixed price of 129 rmb, which translates to a whopping 21 USD!

Having said that I started collecting Friends when the first wave was already eol and am struggling to find those sets for reasonable prices. However I found some of the older sets are still available here. So I recently added 3184, 3188, 3932, 3934 and 3936 to my collection, all at Chinese retail prices.

I found another 3184, another 3188, a couple of 3934s and at least a dozen of 3936s. But I wonder if it would be worth the investment at these prices (21 USD for 3934 and 3936, 56 USD for 3184 and 81 USD for 3188). Oh and the local TRU is selling 3063 for 41 USD.

Any thoughts?

A European national in China with the American flag on his profile :)

It all depends on the popularity of friends in China. Seeing the selling of Lego was +50% last year (posted here on BP but can't find article directly), I take it futurewise this might be a good investment, although I know far too little about Chinese preferences and market.

Oh, have to check my profile, didn't know about the flag. I'm using Tapatalk which doesn't show that information. :)

I have no immediate intention of putting this back into the Chinese market. LEGO isn't as popular here with all those cheaper Chinese knockoffs around, also the selection is quite limited. It's mostly City, Friends, Ninjago and Chima that's being sold here (though there are a few shops, like TRU and Kidsland, that have a wider selection). Most of my own collection and stock is currently in Europe, and these sets are most likely going to end up there as well. I just wonder if they're ever going to be up enough in value to cover the already high purchase price and still make a few cents of profit. Not convinced currently.

Much as I love all the city related businesses and vehicles of Heartlake City, I do like how these current Jungle sets go in a completely different direction for a nice change of pace which makes me think Lego should kick things into yet another way if anything to help better sell the line as something beyond 'stereotypical'. Yeah you could say the Friends in Space contest gave me one of those "why not?" moments. Now I don't know how Lego could try tying the storyline for our girls going into galactic exploration but come on, how cool would it be to have Olivia's Hydroponic Hut or Stephanie's Starcruiser? :biggrin:

Much as I love all the city related businesses and vehicles of Heartlake City, I do like how these current Jungle sets go in a completely different direction for a nice change of pace which makes me think Lego should kick things into yet another way if anything to help better sell the line as something beyond 'stereotypical'. Yeah you could say the Friends in Space contest gave me one of those "why not?" moments. Now I don't know how Lego could try tying the storyline for our girls going into galactic exploration but come on, how cool would it be to have Olivia's Hydroponic Hut or Stephanie's Starcruiser? :biggrin:

Hey, it worked for these cats.

• 1 month later...

I noticed this morning that Lego LEGO Shop at Home took off the 'retiring soon' labels from the Friends Pool and Pet Salon. Probably means nothing, but maybe it's another way that Lego is f**king with us.

I didn't check any others yet.

NVM....Search for retiring soon and they're there. But just look through the Friends theme and they are not marked. My bad....move on.

Edited by odysea11

I'm wondering on the pet salon. I went all in on the vet last year and it's been a home run. I think loading up on the salon could be a similarly good move.

The Pet Salon has been a real shelf sitter. That said, people tend to go nuts when something disappears from the shelves, so it could do all right after retirement. I would look for deep discounts on this one (sales + coupon stacking) if you choose to invest in this one in order to maximize your profits EOL.

The Pet Salon has been a real shelf sitter. That said, people tend to go nuts when something disappears from the shelves, so it could do all right after retirement. I would look for deep discounts on this one (sales + coupon stacking) if you choose to invest in this one in order to maximize your profits EOL.

That's what's weird about Pet Salon.  It sits on the shelves with what seems like little interest.  If I recall, the Heartlake Vet was the same way and Stables appeared to be the better seller.  Once Heartlake Vet disappeared, it skyrocketed quickly.

We should have some time then. I can't wait for the cruiser to retire, that thing is a slam dunk. 

The jury is out on the Dolphin Cruiser for me.  It's such a slam dunk that it is going to be very well stocked after retirement, which means that there will be a lot of sellers looking to unload it.  Also, it should last at least another year, which will put further downward pressure on the post-EOL price.  IMHO, there are much better sets to buy into.

The jury is out on the Dolphin Cruiser for me.  It's such a slam dunk that it is going to be very well stocked after retirement, which means that there will be a lot of sellers looking to unload it.  Also, it should last at least another year, which will put further downward pressure on the post-EOL price.  IMHO, there are much better sets to buy into.

I unloaded my stock last holiday season and I've since restocked for decent buy-in prices.  I'll unload again this year if the price approaches $100.  If not, I'm satisfied with the amount I have for the long-term hold.

I unloaded my stock last holiday season and I've since restocked for decent buy-in prices.  I'll unload again this year if the price approaches $100.  If not, I'm satisfied with the amount I have for the long-term hold.

That's about the only way that I would approach DC at the moment...except for the long-term part.  Long-term holds are a waste of money IMHO.  

The Pet Salon has been on a constant sale of $24.99 at both Target and Walmart around me to where you'd think that was the original retail. There is always a couple on the shelf at either retailer but stock does seem to fluctuate here & there. The part selection is decent like the build. No idea about future interest however with every Friends set including a handful of pets, there needs to be someplace for them all to go and get ....fabulous! :lol:

I have no quick plan of returning this to the Chinese market. LEGO isn't as famous here with each one of those less expensive Chinese knockoffs around, likewise the determination is truly constrained. It's basically City, Friends, Ninjago and Chima that is consistently sold here (however there are a couple of shops, in the same way as TRU and Kidsland, that have a more extensive choice). The majority of my own accumulation and stock is as of now in Europe, and these sets are doubtlessly going to wind up there too. I simply think about whether they're regularly going to be up enough in quality to cover the officially high price tag and still make a couple of pennies of benefit. Not persuaded as of now.