Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

http://seasonaldepressioncomic.com/2014/12/06/lego-friends/

A "friend" of mine just posted a link to this comic on Facebook.

Apparently no one told the artist that Friends are insanely popular.

It may be easy for me to say as a non-female, but I don't really see a problem with toys like the Friends/Elves lines existing. It's not like people are preventing them from playing with other LEGO lines. You are getting more female characters in the other themes these days. Isn't freedom about choice? I think feminists like this who make women feel bad for liking "traditional" female oriented things like pink and horses are just as bad from the other direction. It's all about having choices, as far as I am concerned - and being able to make your own choices. 

Any thoughts (from a mostly male dominated LEGO Reseller community :) )?

http://seasonaldepressioncomic.com/2014/12/06/lego-friends/

A "friend" of mine just posted a link to this comic on Facebook.

Apparently no one told the artist that Friends are insanely popular.

It may be easy for me to say as a non-female, but I don't really see a problem with toys like the Friends/Elves lines existing. It's not like people are preventing them from playing with other LEGO lines. You are getting more female characters in the other themes these days. Isn't freedom about choice? I think feminists like this who make women feel bad for liking "traditional" female oriented things like pink and horses are just as bad from the other direction. It's all about having choices, as far as I am concerned - and being able to make your own choices. 

Any thoughts (from a mostly male dominated LEGO Reseller community :) )?

I have a son and daughter, she doesnt like any of the main lego sets..they are designed for boys, good guys and bad guys...think about it...super heros, star wars, police and fire in the city, knights, Chima etc.

The friends line does what she wants to do...play school...be a vet, be a teacher, build a pink house, go on a damn cruise :) I have been buying these sets up for Christmas as a 5 year old she is really into it now, the boxes are so well designed and the sets are so playable. 

I think it is a great line, priced higher per piece than other sets, and remember some of the pieces are tiny bows and hair pieces. The used vaklue for lots is high also.

Lego were genius with this...we are working on building a science lab in a university...using the RI set together :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know everyone is very high on 41007, Pet Salon -

But I am encountering quite a few Downtown Bakery, also retired, at MSRP at my Walmarts. No one seems to be discussing this one - Are there reasons there isn't as much excitement over it?

the bakery can be had on clearance now for $24-25 on-line and possibly in stores.  I was able to grab one at bjs for $20, it was the only one mixed in with the juicebars which they had a ton of at $20.  set seems to have decent potential, and is a bit unique, but i would not buy it at retail.

I know everyone is very high on 41007, Pet Salon -

But I am encountering quite a few Downtown Bakery, also retired, at MSRP at my Walmarts. No one seems to be discussing this one - Are there reasons there isn't as much excitement over it?

Dunno. I wrote an opinion on the Downtown Bakery set build a while back, but I can't find it on the site anymore. Anyway, here's a photo of it next to the City Park Cafe. When the DB was first released, the only other "food" establishment in the Friends line was the CPC and the CPC was a way better build than the DB. Among other things, the CPC was designed better. Everything fit so nicely inside it. The DB floor plan was really small and an awkward L shape in comparison, and the display counter and the oven can't even fit inside it. Since then, there have been a lot of food-related Friends sets released. The focus on CPC and DB was the cupcake trend from a couple years ago. Now they've moved on to ice cream, fresh fruits and vegetables, ice cream, pizza, and did I mention ice cream? (Actually I'm surprised they haven't done cake pops yet...)

Visually, IMO the DB colors aren't as pretty as the CPC's. The magenta/aqua/orange color scheme really clashes. 

Also, the DB was released the same time as the Dolphin Cruiser and the High School. Basically the Dolphin Cruiser shoved all the other sets aside.

That said, I think this set will do well post-retirement. It's a shop. Collectors freakin' love shops. You may have to hold onto it for a while. It's not a flipper.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of investing in the small sets as they're usually not as sought after, but I bought some lemonade stands on clearance and will unload them this summer when it'll hopefully be selling for $20-25. I think its an interesting enough idea for a set, probably won't get remade and like you said the colors are uncommon. 

Everyone seems to ignore the "Friends line"  because its not their cup of tea.  That's fine with me.  I love the line & so do my girls.  41027 is a great sleeper set with some really good returns in the future because of the short print run.  I try to diversify my portfolio like any good collector/investor.  One should never shy away from a product completely because they don't like it....... imo  

One should never shy away from a product completely because they don't like it....... imo

It has been written that "one should go where the money lies to earn it, not just where personal tastes fit in conveniently". Shoot, if I could earn a few bucks selling toilet paper, I would. On the flip side of the coin, there are some products I would not touch like the questionably disturbing variety.

I have found a couple 3187's a couple of weeks ago for 30 euro each. I was particularly looking for them cause they fetched me a very nice profit during Xmas-frenzy. I had sold a few already for triple value. So now I am keeping these two for Xmas 2015. They will be gone in 60 seconds. I am sure.

With friends, like other themes, watch out for reissues. That is the only danger so far.  

Also look for 3188 the Vet. Also a good one.

Edited by Ciglione

I would leave it. Look for the camper instead. That one is better and unique still in that theme.

good call bro, just checked ebay and its not going for much.  Awesome that the adventure camper is going for so much!  I bought a bunch a year ago from Kmart Clearance!

I would recommend not to buy an unlicenced or non-exclusive set at RRP, unless you know that you are able to make some profits by reselling it on ebay the same day.

Use the ebay app for smartphone, and check for sold items. That's the way I do when I'm clueless about a retired set I see in store...

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

I would recommend not to buy an unlicenced or non-exclusive set at RRP, unless you know that you are able to make some profits by reselling it on ebay the same day.

Use the ebay app for smartphone, and check for sold items. That's the way I do when I'm clueless about a retired set I see in store...

I agree. Always check before you buy. And if you buy, do not buy too many pieces. Cause things can change suddenly.

Buy a couple, sell, then buy more.

Edited by Ciglione

• 1 month later...

A relatively older clip from BrickCon 2012 around the time the Friends line was released where speaker Ty Keltner goes on to address this at the time new theme giving opinion to why it isn't anywhere near bad as a lot of people were saying it to be. It's a little amusing with some funny bits but also plenty of good points also a bit long running for around fifteen minutes.

• Like 1