Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought flying club is Walmart exclusive. How u see them at target

Several were at the Target I went to last night. I'm not going back to take a picture...

Oddly, this Target also had a 3367 for $3.76, which I gladly took off of their hands.

I'd probably pay retail for the Dog Show and the Beauty Salon. I wish I had more of them!

I wish I had more too. :( I actually have about double that of 3942 and 3187 at the moment, but I'm too lazy to haul all of it down. 3063's included for reference purposes only. All purchased at a discount.

I wish I had more too. :( I actually have about double that of 3942 and 3187 at the moment, but I'm too lazy to haul all of it down. 3063's included for reference purposes only. All purchased at a discount.

Consider me pink and purple with jealousy!

I have crossed over to the Friends sets. I think the Riding Camp, Olivia's House, and many others will do well. I could be wrong though, it is still a bit early to tell though since Friends has only been around a few years, but things look positive!

Like any theme, there will be winners and losers, large sets tend to do best and are more worth your time, but the small ones can do really well too if you just want to get your feet wet. The stables, city pool, cafe, treehouse, dogshow, adventure camper and flying club all have great potential. The key to coming out ahead here though is to control your prices, this theme still needs to prove itself more down the road so paying retail or close to it isn't smart, even if it means getting the sets you want. saving just a few more percent can make all the difference between taking a loss/breaking even and turning a profit.

Like any theme, there will be winners and losers, large sets tend to do best and are more worth your time, but the small ones can do really well too if you just want to get your feet wet. The stables, city pool, cafe, treehouse, dogshow, adventure camper and flying club all have great potential. The key to coming out ahead here though is to control your prices, this theme still needs to prove itself more down the road so paying retail or close to it isn't smart, even if it means getting the sets you want. saving just a few more percent can make all the difference between taking a loss/breaking even and turning a profit.

Well said - regardless of theme, you still have to choose carefully and make sure you are getting a solid discount. While the big sets tend to do well, some of the smaller sets may give you a better % ROI. Some of the polybags and small sets (Emma's Design Studio, for example) might make you a nice profit down the road. The downside would be having to sell a heck of a lot of small sets to see the profit you could get from one Riding Camp. Are you a grinder?

I'd suggest reading Veegs recent post on this very topic: http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/evaluations/view/lego_friends_do_the_purple_and_pink_lego_boxes_translate_to_greenbacks (*Veegs, I pointed it out in a comment on the post, but I'll say again here, some of the info in your post for 3183 is incorrect, like the name and the current price). I've made a significant amount of money on Friends already, and will continue to as I sell down all of the retired sets that I have. Time will tell how seriously I get into the 2nd batch, but I will have Heartlake High, Olivia's House, Riding Camp, and Dolphin Cruiser ready to go for Christmas. Any of the Friends line numbered 3930-3939 (a couple are still live, but won't be much longer) are safe bets at the moment, especially if you get them at a discount. Also the recently retired sets 3187 Butterfly Beauty Salon and 3942 Pet Show. 3183 and 3186 will likely show good returns in a few months. Friends polybags seem to do well. I suspect the Series 1 Pets will do well once they're retired. I've seen the Series 1 Pets make a decent return now, and they're still in stores, but it's a little spotty at the moment to say that those are ready for sustained secondary market sales. I don't get hung up so much on the raw dollar amount of a return, for me it's the percentage earned that matters.

Investing in Friends is exactly like every other theme...Largest sets are usually the best investments. Sets with multiple minifigures or unique bricks/parts are better than most. Many of these sets are very similar, so look at the sets and see what is different from the others and you might have a winner.

I'd suggest reading Veegs recent post on this very topic:

http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/evaluations/view/lego_friends_do_the_purple_and_pink_lego_boxes_translate_to_greenbacks

(*Veegs, I pointed it out in a comment on the post, but I'll say again here, some of the info in your post for 3183 is incorrect, like the name and the current price).

I blame my editors!

On a serious note, I might have the CAN and US prices mixed up now and then. Also, I'm almost 100% sure that several Friends sets at S&**** went up $5 after Christmas, which might further throw numbers off. Thanks for the clarification, though!

I am finding myself buying more and more of the frineds sets. I ended up getting 2 stables for 34 each. Check out the carg for the horse trailer. I think people are going to regret not jumping on the first year of these. I have been aquiring mid range sets for a bit now. Got quite a few clearance items at walmart last month they have almost doubled since then. Got 4 heartlake dog shows for 14 a peice. I have my daughter carry these through the store. My wife makes fun of me when I am researching the "purple boxes"

Check out the flying club. Why would people buy on ebay for over $30 when you can get it at wally world for 19.97. Horse trailer, I ordered 4 more at lego for 15 a peice using my lego points, says it is back ordered until the 17th of march but the carg is 76%. Crazy

Check out the flying club. Why would people buy on ebay for over $30 when you can get it at wally world for 19.97. Horse trailer, I ordered 4 more at lego for 15 a peice using my lego points, says it is back ordered until the 17th of march but the carg is 76%. Crazy

I'm assuming, mostly based on this thread, that supply of Flying Club is spotty. We have tons of it here in DFW.

3186 is explained by the fact that little girls like little horses...

Some Targets have 3186 in the store, and you can get it now from Target online. I just picked up two more in a store near me.

Not around here - we've never seen 3063's till recently (Walmart). Where have you been seeing them (supposedly in abundance)?

Ok, haterz, see the pic. This was at a different WalMart in Grapevine, TX that I went to tonight. There's a few in front that I turned sideways and maybe another 8 or so behind those.

Like I said, we're the fortunate beneficiaries of being centrally located down here...the downside is that we have outrageous sales tax.

• 4 weeks later...