75060 - UCS: Slave I

kerrmando

Personally I'm not a fan.  I'm sure I'm in the minority there :D

Just can't see the appeal of the Slave I as a design in general.  I have plenty of SW UCS sets and people recognise them all the time when they visit, but I doubt most would know what ship this was.  It's not something I crave - recognition of displayed awesomeness from visitors, but just an analogy to try and convey my feelings of it not really being an iconic SW ship, to me.

I'm sure it will do pretty well in the long term as an investment though, so might pick it up for that, but it won't wrestle a display spot from other sets I have.

Love that Fett minifig though! Might have to just grab one separately.  I can see his price starting out very high.

• Like 1

so I recently picked up a very cheap used (no box) 8097 Slave.

Obviously Slave I is an OT set, and the theory is that OT sets will keep increasing in value with the new films coming out, but will this new UCS set kill off much further price rises in 8097, or will the release of the UCS set give more interest to 8097 from people that don't want to splash out $200 but still like the slave I in general (meaning still keep it for now)?

so I recently picked up a very cheap used (no box) 8097 Slave.

Obviously Slave I is an OT set, and the theory is that OT sets will keep increasing in value with the new films coming out, but will this new UCS set kill off much further price rises in 8097, or will the release of the UCS set give more interest to 8097 from people that don't want to splash out $200 but still like the slave I in general (meaning still keep it for now)?

I'm on the fence about this. The new UCS Slave I has minifigure and play features. That means it's a larger version of the 8097 IMO. That's how I see it. I don't see the 8097 increasing in value much after the release of the UCS version.

Personally I'm not a fan. I'm sure I'm in the minority there :D

Just can't see the appeal of the Slave I as a design in general. I have plenty of SW UCS sets and people recognise them all the time when they visit, but I doubt most would know what ship this was. It's not something I crave - recognition of displayed awesomeness from visitors, but just an analogy to try and convey my feelings of it not really being an iconic SW ship, to me.

I'm sure it will do pretty well in the long term as an investment though, so might pick it up for that, but it won't wrestle a display spot from other sets I have.

Love that Fett minifig though! Might have to just grab one separately. I can see his price starting out very high.

As a LEGO set, I like it a lot. As a ship, the Slave I is ugly as sin. LOL

Most Star Wars ships aren't going to win beauty contests, but that's what's great about them.  They are utilitarian, dirty, bulky.  I think that's why I like most OT ships better than PT ships, the PT ships are way too clean and sleek looking.  Look at the MF, Lucas said that he came up with the design at lunch where his olive was stuck in the side of a hamburger bun with a toothpick.  And that turned out to the be most iconic ship in Star Wars :)

Now that I've seen this I might sell off my used 8097 while the gettings good and put that money into the UCS version.

• Like 5