International shipping questions, discussions, fees, cost (eBay and non-eBay)

So I have sold my fourth item internationally this month and had to cancel the transaction b/c I do not ship internationally. It's time I start. However, I do not want to spend 20 mins filling out customs forms for each item. I know ebay offers a Global shipping program but I would like to hear from those who have used it. PLEASE!! I know the global shipping program (GSP) is only offered to some countries, do the items only display in those countries? How easy is it really? I noticed someone on another thread said "If you prepack your items there is no reason not to offer international shipping" How do you offer two different prices for shipping? One for int and one for US? Then how do you offer a shipping price when each country is different? I did international shipping to Australia and had a bad experience. (I had a really understanding cool buyer. The gift missed Christmas by 3 weeks and took 6 weeks to get there. He could have totally screwed me if he wanted. ...I think.) I need to get over this fear in order to really start making some $$. I mean, sell to 300 plus million here in the US or sell of several billion around the world...kinda a no brainer to me. I would appreciate any input. (Even if you know of a good tutorial of video would be appreciated.) I have found a bunch of crappy info but that's it...

So I have sold my fourth item internationally and had to cancel the transaction b/c I do not ship internationally. It's time I start. However, I do not want to spend 20 mins filling out customs forms for each item.

I know ebay offers a Global shipping program but I would like to hear from those who have used it. PLEASE!! I know the global shipping program (GSP) is only offered to some countries, do the items only display in those countries? How easy is it really?

I noticed someone on another thread said "If you prepack your items there is no reason not to offer international shipping" How do you offer two different prices for shipping? One for int and one for US? Then how do you offer a shipping price when each country is different?

I did international shipping to Australia and had a bad experience. (I had a really understanding cool buyer. The gift missed Christmas by 3 weeks and took 6 weeks to get there. He could have totally screwed me if he wanted. ...I think.) I need to get over this fear in order to really start making some $$. I mean, sell to 300 plus million here in the US or sell of several billion around the world...kinda a no brainer to me.

I would appreciate any input. (Even if you know of a good tutorial of video would be appreciated.) I have found a bunch of crappy info but that's it...

Wish I can help you (I have no experience shipping internationally) but I will be keeping eye on this thread for sure to learn a thing or two. I've already read the blogs here that has blurb on international shipping but it still left me a bit overwhelmed.

I however have a question for you - do you feel that offering international shipping does help you sell sets at a better price? I've been wondering if it was worth it.

I have not sold any LEGO sets internationally but all the other toys I sold, but cancelled, I get better prices. (I sold the same damn train set three times...after the second time I made the very first line...I do not ship internationally and someone still bought it. I then made it an auction so i could cancel international bids and had to cancel two international bids. I guess Thomas the Train is big in Brazil and Taiwan.) I think it's inevitable that you will get better prices just b/c it's a much larger market place and there are sets that people can not get in certain places.. More eye balls on your products = more sales and better prices. The whole "do not display in XZY country" apparently does not work well.

So, I have sold mostly sports cards, have been an eBay member since 98, have long lapses in times selling (not a dealer, just go through spurts of selling/buying...until I found this site, lol). I started selling recently to fund my Lego purchases, and was invited into the program. One of my first baseball card sales shortly after was from a Canada buyer. He balked immediately at using the program - had never heard of it, didn't believe the cost, didn't trust eBay handling the item. I didn't know what to do. When I tried to send him an invoice, the system wouldn't even let me do it, since I guess it sent him an invoice itself with the suggested shipping/excise tax price. He ended up sending an invoice request to me instead. THEN I went in and did the shipping stuff international to Canada through eBay. That completely worked. I printed out like 4 customs forms I filled out through eBay, had the Post Office advice me on how to attach it, and sent it on its way. All good. Since then, I have sold two Lego minifig purchases - one to Canada, one to Japan. Both have been listed via the shipping program. Both have been super simple - the invoice just includes the suggested price, they pay via Paypal, I print off a single customs form that is super simple and drop it at the post office. That has been great. BUT - those last two were small First Class items, not Priority. You may want to test it out using small items first - polybag sales, etc. I am supportive of the concept and happy to help test it for the reasons you mentioned - which specifically help Lego aftermarket - broader addressable market base, more deep-pocket spenders, US prices cheap relative to International, etc. One person's experience...

So, I have sold mostly sports cards, have been an eBay member since 98, have long lapses in times selling (not a dealer, just go through spurts of selling/buying...until I found this site, lol).

I started selling recently to fund my Lego purchases, and was invited into the program.

One of my first baseball card sales shortly after was from a Canada buyer. He balked immediately at using the program - had never heard of it, didn't believe the cost, didn't trust eBay handling the item. I didn't know what to do. When I tried to send him an invoice, the system wouldn't even let me do it, since I guess it sent him an invoice itself with the suggested shipping/excise tax price.

He ended up sending an invoice request to me instead. THEN I went in and did the shipping stuff international to Canada through eBay. That completely worked. I printed out like 4 customs forms I filled out through eBay, had the Post Office advice me on how to attach it, and sent it on its way. All good.

Since then, I have sold two Lego minifig purchases - one to Canada, one to Japan. Both have been listed via the shipping program. Both have been super simple - the invoice just includes the suggested price, they pay via Paypal, I print off a single customs form that is super simple and drop it at the post office. That has been great.

BUT - those last two were small First Class items, not Priority. You may want to test it out using small items first - polybag sales, etc.

I am supportive of the concept and happy to help test it for the reasons you mentioned - which specifically help Lego aftermarket - broader addressable market base, more deep-pocket spenders, US prices cheap relative to International, etc.

One person's experience...

I really appreciate your input.

When sending the invoice, does it allow you to add a few bucks for your time and the shipping materials or should I add that to the price of the item? Or does the buyer see the "suggested price" and then that's THE price? Also does ebay include their fee in the suggested shipping price?

Trying to remember. One of the auctions, I think the person paid before I could send an invoice. And in that case, the eBay cost for shipping was like $1 less through their tool than what the person had paid via the auto invoice. So that was OK. The second time, I sent the invoice myself - could certainly adjust it there. I just sent whatever was default in the tool. But after they paid, and I went to print shipping, I realized I could adjust the weight of the package down to a lower cost level - which I did, and was actually accurate, essentially saving me $2. So I think the short answer is yet, if you send them an invoice immediately for small items....could be wrong though....

I will stick to the way I ship overseas. Over $100 it has to go Express Mail Only No Exceptions, In the last 2 weeks I sold 4 combo packs The POTC Black Pearl & Queen Revenge and all 4 auctions Buy it now for $400.00 The winners were from Japan, South Korea, Slolavin, Turkey. Express Mail was $85-95 and if you use a scale and put all the info right, the exact rate comes up all the Time. and each one got to there destination in 4-6 days, now here is something most people might not agree with but, I tell the winner I will put gift and $50 Value on form. I'm been doing this since 1998 and never had a problem, reason I do it is because I no the Box will get there for sure, its way faster and with Express mail it goes right by customs fast, now if you send it Priority mail, well then you should insure it for the full price, but by the time you put the insurance in it brings the rate just about as Express Mail. But remember you have to no how to calculate and put exact size and weight of box or it won't work right. "SO OUTSIDE THE US IT HAS TO BE MAILED EXPRESS MAIL ONLY" somebody else on this sites says the same thing. Ed

I will stick to the way I ship overseas. Over $100 it has to go Express Mail Only No Exceptions, In the last 2 weeks I sold 4 combo packs The POTC Black Pearl & Queen Revenge and all 4 auctions Buy it now for $400.00 The winners were from Japan, South Korea, Slolavin, Turkey. Express Mail was $85-95 and if you use a scale and put all the info right, the exact rate comes up all the Time. and each one got to there destination in 4-6 days, now here is something most people might not agree with but, I tell the winner I will put gift and $50 Value on form. I'm been doing this since 1998 and never had a problem, reason I do it is because I no the Box will get there for sure, its way faster and with Express mail it goes right by customs fast, now if you send it Priority mail, well then you should insure it for the full price, but by the time you put the insurance in it brings the rate just about as Express Mail. But remember you have to no how to calculate and put exact size and weight of box or it won't work right. "SO OUTSIDE THE US IT HAS TO BE MAILED EXPRESS MAIL ONLY" somebody else on this sites says the same thing. Ed

Yes, my wife only uses only Express Mail for things sent outside the US because it's the only method that's trackable to the destination. She doesn't have the $100 minimum though...this is her policy with everything. It's going to get there, and usually quickly with Express Mail.

It really increases the shipping cost, but that's irrelevant because on international purchases her auctions are structured so that the buyer pays calculated shipping costs vs. free economy shipping on domestic purchases.

I disagree with putting anything other than the true value on the customs form though. That's called fraud and even though you haven't been caught, it doesn't mean you won't be caught. Legally the consequences have a huge potential range but a worse consequence is possibly that eBay could shut down your main outlet if they find out. Let the man get his...especially if it's the buyer's man and you don't have to pay anything.

All this said, she's open to the Global Shipping Program provided it doesn't increase costs to her and it potentially reduces some of the extra steps with international shipping.

So I have sold my fourth item internationally this month and had to cancel the transaction b/c I do not ship internationally.

If you don't sell internationally how are international buyers able to bid on/buy your items? You know you can create a shipping exclusion list and prevent this from happening in future auctions?

You're taking a risk here that if the buyer doesn't agree to the cancelation that you will lose your final value fees to eBay.

I have no idea. I have the appropriate boxes checked to only have it displayed in the US but IDK. I even double checked. My guess is they are coming directly to ebay.com rather than ebay.br or ebay.(whatever their country code is.) I certainly don't want to lose the fees but there's nothing I can do but check the boxes. I think most people just want to get their $$ back from a product they paid for but won't get. If they won't take a refund...well...i would find that weird. There is a section in the cancellation section that says "I do not ship to buyers location." My guess is they have this option b/c it happens a lot.

I have no idea. I have the appropriate boxes checked to only have it displayed in the US but IDK. I even double checked. My guess is they are coming directly to ebay.com rather than ebay.br or ebay.(whatever their country code is.)

I certainly don't want to lose the fees but there's nothing I can do but check the boxes. I think most people just want to get their $$ back from a product they paid for but won't get. If they won't take a refund...well...i would find that weird.

There is a section in the cancellation section that says "I do not ship to buyers location." My guess is they have this option b/c it happens a lot.

There's actually two things you have to do, see the attachments.

1 - Add excluded countries to your shipping exclusion list.

2 - Under buyer requirements, check the box that block buyers who have a primary shipping address in countries you don't ship to.

There's actually two things you have to do, see the attachments.

1 - Add excluded countries to your shipping exclusion list.

2 - Under buyer requirements, check the box that block buyers who have a primary shipping address in countries you don't ship to.

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! THANKS! That is my exact problem. I forgot to do #2

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! THANKS! That is my exact problem.

It would be more user friendly and a better fit for most of their clientele if they just had a checkbox that said "I only ship to US Addresses". eBay doesn't care much about being user friendly though...you should try calling their customer support.

It's good to set this if you don't want to ship internationally...many buyers are reasonable but some can be complete pricks.

It would be more user friendly and a better fit for most of their clientele if they just had a checkbox that said "I only ship to US Addresses". eBay doesn't care much about being user friendly though...you should try calling their customer support.

It's good to set this if you don't want to ship internationally...many buyers are reasonable but some can be complete pricks.

Yes it would.

You would think eBay would take into account that unlike all other major retailers, they are dependent on their sellers. They are the only retailer I know that does not have their own product.

Global shipping is why I'm still on ebay. Items are displayed in those countries that ebay ships to. You don't even know what country it's going to. Of someone in Austailla buys your item you get an address in kentucky.... You will start to know it by heart. You ship it there they do rest.

I plan on avoiding ebay listings that ship using the Global Shipping Program. The brokerage fee being charged by ebay (or whomever their partner is, I can't remember) is pretty ridiculous. I was checking out the shipping on a 10212 and the estimated fees were around $87 on top of the shipping cost. If I remember correctly, given the price of the shuttle it would have been about $40 for the taxes (there are no duties on toys to Canada) so I was being quoted an additional $47 for fees... no thanks. A side note is that the global shipping program is 100% honest on the value of declared goods... I know every ebay seller puts "I will not lie about the value" on their auction, but I find very few are 100% honest and usually in favour of the buyer.

Can't sign up for Global Shipping Program - option is not there for me to opt in when I went in to check - why? I have feedback rating of 183.. all positive, not a single negative.. although I've abandoned my ebay account for years until recently when I went into LEGO investing. I noticed this tidbit on ebay page http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html "To be eligible for the Global Shipping Program, you must have a US seller rating of standard or above." I wonder if that is why I don't qualify? What exactly does "rating of standard or above" mean?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had an account with www.parcelbound.com for almost 2 years and decided on them after much research of all forwarding companies. A lot of the companies have a small fee attached to everything and it really adds up, but Bongo doesn't. They offer discounted shipping rates and free consolidation of purchases to subscription customers. I would recommend it as a good value. Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Dredging up an old topic because I'm feeling cranky today... I was just checking out the eBay listing for the Mr Gold charity auction to see where it stood and noticed (again) how ridiculous the Global Shipping program is. Over $100 in extra "fees"? Really? That's crazy. I know that includes some taxes, but come on. For a little bubble mailer? I'll never buy through the Global Shipping program. Ever.

Help! I just sold a set to Australia through ebay global shipping program, but my buyer is requesting a payment total from me. What should I do now? I thought my buyer should see the total from ebay automatically and I will just need to ship to the local USA center after receiving the payment. Anyone has experience on selling or buying from Ebay global shipping program?

I just sold a set to Australia through ebay global shipping program, and now my buyer is requesting an invoice from me. What should I do now? I thought my buyer should see the total from ebay automatically and I will just need to ship to the local USA center after receiving the payment. However, my buyer said he did not see the total and therefore he/she requests an invoice. Anyone has experience on selling or buying from Ebay global shipping program? Thanks!

I had this happen once as well. They should have received an invoice with total - and as the seller, there is not way to even see that. The other problem is that they might balk at the price stated, since it includes customs fees, etc. I ended up sending them an invoice and just shipping outside of the program which was easier.