International shipping questions, discussions, fees, cost (eBay and non-eBay)

It turns out that ebay can't ship to a PO box for global shipping program. I asked my buyer to change his address to a residential one and now it works.

Help!

I just sold a set to Australia through ebay global shipping program, but my buyer is requesting a payment total from me. What should I do now?

I thought my buyer should see the total from ebay automatically and I will just need to ship to the local USA center after receiving the payment.

Anyone has experience on selling or buying from Ebay global shipping program?

I hate shipping out of the U.S. Have had so many freaking issues where the package "didn't arrive" when shipped first class. Paypal always sides with the buyer too. So I only ship global express now.

This is why we only use USPS express mail international for international shipments...it's the only USPS method traceable to the destination for international shipments.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Maybe it is not a problem for people who lives in the US but for a person who lives in ?stanbul like me it is a big and expensive problem: Shipping costs. If I try to buy big sets, the shipping cost is much more expensive than the set itself! So it is a real problem for me. Anyone who knows a way which can help me to pay-or get free shipping-like a US resident?

Thanks,

Deniz

Shipping is definitely still a problem in the US. I think since January of this year international shipping rates almost doubled. I know it's a lot harder for me to ship or receive shipments from CA in particular.

Yeah but living in the US is still a big advantage than Europe. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Hi,

Maybe it is not a problem for people who lives in the US but for a person who lives in ?stanbul like me it is a big and expensive problem: Shipping costs. If I try to buy big sets, the shipping cost is much more expensive than the set itself! So it is a real problem for me. Anyone who knows a way which can help me to pay-or get free shipping-like a US resident?

Thanks,

Deniz

I often buy LEGO from Amazon UK or Amazon at Germany and they provide affordable shipping charges. If they can ship cheaply to me (normally $5 dollars for the first set and $2 for the second set), they must be able to ship to you!!

I often buy LEGO from Amazon UK or Amazon at Germany and they provide affordable shipping charges. If they can ship cheaply to me (normally $5 dollars for the first set and $2 for the second set), they must be able to ship to you!!

Thanks, I checked both Amazon sites but the set prices are higher than US. I just need a way to get the sets from the US but with shipping here with a low cost. 

PS: I don't have any person that I know in the US so I can't ask someone to bring me some sets from there for free.

• 4 weeks later...

Need help...I signed up for eBay's Global Shipping Program, and just sold my first international item. The buyer is located in Canada. According to eBay's help pages, the total shipping cost (domestic shipping cost from me to shipping center + international shipping cost from shipping center to seller) is supposed to be sent to the buyer once they win the auction, and that they should be able to see that total shipping cost when they go to pay for the item.

My problem is, the seller is requesting an invoice from me because the total shipping cost isn't displayed on her end. When I go to send her an invoice, I just get a dropdown menu of international shipping options...no mention of the Global Shipping Program. 

Anyone out there have experience going through this rigamarole?

Need help...I signed up for eBay's Global Shipping Program, and just sold my first international item. The buyer is located in Canada. According to eBay's help pages, the total shipping cost (domestic shipping cost from me to shipping center + international shipping cost from shipping center to seller) is supposed to be sent to the buyer once they win the auction, and that they should be able to see that total shipping cost when they go to pay for the item.

My problem is, the seller is requesting an invoice from me because the total shipping cost isn't displayed on her end. When I go to send her an invoice, I just get a dropdown menu of international shipping options...no mention of the Global Shipping Program. 

Anyone out there have experience going through this rigamarole?

It sounds like the buyer is confused - eBay will have sent her a payment link when she purchased, she can use that to pay, or pay right from her My eBay page. You shouldn't have to send a separate invoice.

Have her call eBay if she's having problems paying.

Re: the global shipping program in general, I love it. It's wonderful only having to deal with tracking to Kentucky via normal USPS delivery confirmation and eBay/Pitney Bowes literally takes it from there. I have experienced a few bobbles in the program, but was able to work through them with eBay and/or PayPal without any real angst.

The down side is that it can be more expensive for buyers in some cases - but that's the price of having seller protection and tracking all the way to the buyer's door.

Now that USPS is adding more countries (supposed to be end of this month, making it I think 17 or 18 countries total) to their FCMI tracking, that will be another viable and less expensive option to offer our buyers if we want to.

However, with book sales I have noticed that on international sell-through my GSP sales are much better than my non-GSP sales (I offer non-GSP in some categories that eBay won't offer GSP). I have an educated hunch that eBay may boost the best match search ranking of GSP sellers on international eBay sites, because eBay really wants people opting into the program.

Something to think about and consider experimenting with, anyway.

If anyone here is an eBay seller who doesn't want a lot of international hassle (especially INR claims), think about giving the GSP a trial run.

Okay so here's an update. I called eBay, and after looking into it, they said that it was a glitch on their part (so I didn't do anything wrong). Basically, even though I am opted into their Global Shipping Program, the Global Shipping Program did not register on my listing, so I can't use it on this particular listing. I'm just going to use USPS Priority Mail International instead, and sent the buyer an invoice reflecting this shipping cost. Hopefully they'll think it's a reasonable shipping charge!

I guess eBay is going to "look into it". They did say that I should use their Advanced Selling tool from now on (I've been using their Quick tool). Not sure if that means my opt in to the Global Shipping program will register if I used the Advanced tool or not. I guess I'll try it with some new listings I was going to put up today.

My reasoning for opting in to eBay's GSP is because I didn't want to deal with customs forms, "problem" countries that a lot of other sellers seem to exclude, and other details because I'm such a newbie to international shipping. Any advice from more seasoned eBayers out there?

Okay so here's an update. I called eBay, and after looking into it, they said that it was a glitch on their part (so I didn't do anything wrong). Basically, even though I am opted into their Global Shipping Program, the Global Shipping Program did not register on my listing, so I can't use it on this particular listing. I'm just going to use USPS Priority Mail International instead, and sent the buyer an invoice reflecting this shipping cost. Hopefully they'll think it's a reasonable shipping charge!

I guess eBay is going to "look into it". They did say that I should use their Advanced Selling tool from now on (I've been using their Quick tool). Not sure if that means my opt in to the Global Shipping program will register if I used the Advanced tool or not. I guess I'll try it with some new listings I was going to put up today.

My reasoning for opting in to eBay's GSP is because I didn't want to deal with customs forms, "problem" countries that a lot of other sellers seem to exclude, and other details because I'm such a newbie to international shipping. Any advice from more seasoned eBayers out there?

Thanks.  I hope my UK buyer isn't having problems.  i want my money so the item can be shipped.

He just keeps asking me if the delivery will be "signed".. I keep saying, "YES"

Guest betsy805

GSP is a complete ripoff to the buyer, which is why I don't use it.  I also hate that, living in Washington, if I want to ship something across the border to Vancouver using GSP, it first has to travel all the way to Kentucky to process and then back north.  Really inefficient timewise.  If you buy your shipping label through Paypal, at least in my experiences so far, it prints out the customs form all filled out, and all you have to do is sign it.  That won't work if you're trying to decrease the value of it, or mark it as a gift though.  

Now that USPS is adding more countries (supposed to be end of this month, making it I think 17 or 18 countries total) to their FCMI tracking, that will be another viable and less expensive option to offer our buyers if we want to.

How many countries have FCMI tracking now?  Is there a list somewhere on USPS's site?

How many countries have FCMI tracking now?  Is there a list somewhere on USPS's site?

I can't find the link at the moment, unfortunately.

Right this moment it's only official Canada that offers FCMI Parcel tracking (sometimes the tracking is available to view on USPS site, sometimes you have to go Canada Post's site, but eBay accepts both as proof of delivery).

At the end of this month they're supposed to change it to include about 15 or 16 other countries - Australia and the UK among them. Expect some issues while they get it fully implemented (Canada wasn't reliable about tracking at first) and then hopefully it'll go well and give us another option.

Re: GSP "ripping off the customer" - I disagree. The customer knows up front what their cost will be, the seller isn't keeping the extra money, and there are not at this moment in time comparable trackable methods for sellers to offer - if sellers want to take their chances and ship without tracking that's fine, but to claim that sellers who don't want to do this are ripping people off isn't fair or reasonable. The trackable methods that ARE available cost as much or more as the GSP.

At the end of this month they're supposed to change it to include about 15 or 16 other countries - Australia and the UK among them. Expect some issues while they get it fully implemented (Canada wasn't reliable about tracking at first) and then hopefully it'll go well and give us another option.

Where did you hear or read that USPS is adding 15 or 16 countries?