International shipping questions, discussions, fees, cost (eBay and non-eBay)

Another international shipping thread, yayy!! Sorry to start a thread like this, but I'm the type of person who likes to be 100% sure about things, so wanted to run this scenario by you guys to make sure I am doing the right thing.  I've looked thorough the other topics like this but wanted to double check things for this specific scenario.

I just sold an item (non lego) to a buyer from Australia ($270 item).  I only offer international shipping through the global shipping program, but I must have messed up on this listing and I apparently offered regular int'l shipping on this item.   Since it was my mistake, I messaged the buyer saying I could either ship via "Priority mail express international" or we could cancel the sale if he would rather not pay the high shipping cost.

I guess I just wanted to confirm that priority mail express international is the correct shipping method for me to use which would include tracking, and would thus protect me (or at least give me a stronger case) if a case was opened.  Am I correct in saying that?  Also the address is a PO Box, that shouldn't matter right? My last question is tracking included with this method, or is it an add on service (for example $2 more) like in domestic shipping.

Appreciate any thoughts, or if you want to tell me to search the forum and DMODD I understand that too!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an email from eBay that I must have misread.

"In October we will automatically enable all of your GSP-eligible listings. This will help make it easier for buyers in up to 64 countries to purchase your items."

I do not use this option so not too familiar with it but does this mean I will have to deselect this option or that I am being forced to use it?

Edit. Finished reading the fine print you have to opt out by October 3rd

Edited by Pseudoty

I just got an email from eBay that I must have misread.

"In October we will automatically enable all of your GSP-eligible listings. This will help make it easier for buyers in up to 64 countries to purchase your items."

I do not use this option so not too familiar with it but does this mean I will have to deselect this option or that I am being forced to use it?

Edit. Finished reading the fine print you have to opt out by October 3rd

Why opt out? Makes things easy as he'll when people by abroad. Just skip to ky and you are good! I don't have enough time to fill customs firms and run to the post office to ship internationally
  • Like 1

I've used GSP for the last year and sold plenty of sets overseas and to canada - I recently started offering both options - GSP or direct and I still get GSP orders despite, what I assume, is higher shipping costs. Does anyone know how these options show up and compare as a buyer? Do you clearly see the GSP and non-GSP options and how do prices compare?

I'm in Canada and I usually tend to avoid sellers using the GSP. Its maybe a little more worth it for larger more expensive LEGO sets, but for smaller items the shipping costs are WAY out of line. I buy mostly comics off eBay and not LEGO mind you and instead of paying the GSP shipping plus fees I have sellers send things to a proxy I have in Minnesoda for usually a third or quarter of the cost.

Why opt out? Makes things easy as he'll when people by abroad. Just skip to ky and you are good! I don't have enough time to fill customs firms and run to the post office to ship internationally

Filling out customs forms takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute, assuming you do it online simultaneously with the postage. International shipments can just be dropped off on post office counters or picked up by postal carriers, assuming you did the postage and customs forms online. No need to wait.

Filling out customs forms takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute, assuming you do it online simultaneously with the postage. International shipments can just be dropped off on post office counters or picked up by postal carriers, assuming you did the postage and customs forms online. No need to wait.

I never get the option to buy first class international mail online from any site so it needs filling the firm's out, filling out the package, going to the post office and waiting to freak with the lovely work staff their.

I have had nothing but grief from GSP.  After you ship your product to their shipping center, they open it for inspection and then repack it. Their packing isn't as good as mine.

I had a set I shipped to Australia via GSP arrive at the buyer pretty mauled up. He sent me a picture of what he received; it wasn't my packing materials.  So he wanted to file a SNAD claim against me.

It took me a long time (and several phone calls) to get GSP to eat the cost and make sure I didn't take the ding. I'm still not convinced it doesn't count against me somewhere in eBay's super secret scoring system, as it seemed my placement in their "best choice" sort dropped after that.

GSP seems easy in concept, but in practice it has generated more complaints than the traditional way of shipping direct.

The only time I had an issue, 41999 lost in transit to Australia, the GSP immediately took responsibility and refunded the buyer.

Well, for what it is worth, I was invited to be one of the early participants in GSP.  Maybe I experienced this before they had all the bugs worked out.  At that time it almost seemed like they hadn't thought about how to handle SNAD due to shipping damage.

• 2 weeks later...

for me, the main benefit that priority express international has over regular priority international (other than speed)...

- insurance can be purchased online for many countries (must do it online at usps.com though. not paypal).

notes:

- priority international mail now has tracking. 

- unfort all usps mail is delivered by the country local postal service expect usps global express which uses fedex.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This is for US.

I'm a rookie in Lego investment.  I've done a bit of reading on this site and appreciate all the wisdom that I've garnered from those who know better.  I'm especially concerned about horror stories of running into a crooked buyer, although I understand they are the exception.

I'm trying to figure out whether it is a good thing to ship my Legos to international destinations or just to keep it within the US.  Obviously casting a wider net can yield more profit, but would increase risks.  For the industry veterans who have successfully sold and shipped Legos on Ebay/Amazon to international buyers, your experience and advises are much appreciated.  

What are some things to consider, to watch out for, things to avoid?  Is it even worth the risk of allowing international shipping?

About 40% of my sales have been international. Out of about 130 orders, 3 have been returned. One took so long, I refunded the buyer. Two were re-shipped at the buyer's expense. One other order had a box that was extremely damaged, so I partially refunded. No lost shipments. Well worth the risk, in my experience. If you're uncomfortable starting out, just buy insurance. USPS, U-PIC, and insurepost are avenues for insurance. Not available to every country, so be wary of that. Also, be aware of shipping box volume limitations. Just google USPS plus the destination country name for all the gory detail in USPS Postal Explorer. Cheapest way to ship Priority and Express International is to print the label via paypal, since you get the 7% off commercial plus rate.

Hi,

This is for US.

I'm a rookie in Lego investment.  I've done a bit of reading on this site and appreciate all the wisdom that I've garnered from those who know better.  I'm especially concerned about horror stories of running into a crooked buyer, although I understand they are the exception.

I'm trying to figure out whether it is a good thing to ship my Legos to international destinations or just to keep it within the US.  Obviously casting a wider net can yield more profit, but would increase risks.  For the industry veterans who have successfully sold and shipped Legos on Ebay/Amazon to international buyers, your experience and advises are much appreciated.  

What are some things to consider, to watch out for, things to avoid?  Is it even worth the risk of allowing international shipping?

International buyers will pay premium for items they can't buyer in their countries. The GSP is very good. As long as you get the item delivered to the international distribution site (usually in Kentucky) you are not responsible for anything that happens after that in terms of shipping mishaps.