Welcome to the Brick Classifieds Open Roundtable

Jeff Mack

will listings expire after a set period of time or will it be  a set it and forget it type of structure?

I usually set my prices and wait for the market to catch up for the most part, especially if I am listing a fair amount of sets. 

I personally would like to institute some sort of a checkup process after a listing has been online for a while and gets no traffic.  For example, someone lists a Fire Brigade for $1800. After a few months, I fire off a report that says. "Hey you are not getting any views on this listing, maybe it's priced too high, is it still active/available" And try to get some sort of seller interaction to make sure they are still there and watching their listings.  If not, after a few days, it gets deactivated so that there isn't a lot of waste on the site.   We want to make sure that people are there and watching their listings and actually try to sell something.  If we are going to be offering the best rates around, then we want to make sure sellers are taking advantage of it and trying to move their product.  Responsibility will be on them as well.  We need to educate sellers that it's just not up to the website to sell their product.

Thanks for opening this up to everyone.  I appreciate you throwing this out there.  I know it has been an ongoing thing for you but you have to be excited that you are getting closer to a beta release.  It is very exciting to learn more about how you are setting it up and what you are done with it.   Having payment options is a nice touch and using elements of Etsy sounds like a different approch from what's out there.  Their interface is very simple to use and understand.  I like it :)

Edited by brickmaster

I personally would like to institute some sort of a checkup process after a listing has been online for a while and gets no traffic.  For example, someone lists a Fire Brigade for $1800. After a few months, I fire off a report that says. "Hey you are not getting any views on this listing, maybe it's priced too high, is it still active/available" And try to get some sort of seller interaction to make sure they are still there and watching their listings.  If not, after a few days, it gets deactivated so that there isn't a lot of waste on the site.   We want to make sure that people are there and watching their listings and actually try to sell something.  If we are going to be offering the best rates around, then we want to make sure sellers are taking advantage of it and trying to move their product.  Responsibility will be on them as well.  We need to educate sellers that it's just not up to the website to sell their product.

Isn't it going to be confusing for sellers with hundreds of items for sale? I believe some people, like Bold Arrow for example, like to list stuff when they buy them setting the price to be whatever their target is, and then just let the sets appreciate. For me, it would be fine if "deactivate" still keeps the listing up (visible to me), but just requires me to hit "reactivate"

• Like 1

Jeff, will there be a mobile function for classifieds? I like what eBay has to post items but I feel like it can still be complicated in the number of clicks it takes to list something. I imagine you guys want to get the site going first just didn't know if there are thoughts for a mobile version

Isn't it going to be confusing for sellers with hundreds of items for sale? I believe some people, like Bold Arrow for example, like to list stuff when they buy them setting the price to be whatever their target is, and then just let the sets appreciate. For me, it would be fine if "deactivate" still keeps the listing up (visible to me), but just requires me to hit "reactivate"

The idea of Brick Classifieds is to sell product at a fair price.  Everyone, it seems, has their own methods and requests, but we want members to price fairly  What purpose would we have to clog the Classifieds up with overpriced items?  If people want to do that, there is eBay and Amazon.  

• Like 1

Jeff, will there be a mobile function for classifieds? I like what eBay has to post items but I feel like it can still be complicated in the number of clicks it takes to list something. I imagine you guys want to get the site going first just didn't know if there are thoughts for a mobile version.

Right.  Let's get the main site operating.  If it works and people use it and like it, then of course there will be a mobile app.  

• Like 1

To the extent that this hasn't already been mentioned, I would highly encourage you to set up the listing process so that there are stock photos of some sort for items and sellers don't have to upload a picture every time they want to list something.  

To the extent that this hasn't already been mentioned, I would highly encourage you to set up the listing process so that there are stock photos of some sort for items and sellers don't have to upload a picture every time they want to list something.  

At the moment, I really don't know what to say about this. This is one of our core rules.  Parts is one thing, but actual sets is another.  

If you adopt that as one of your core rules, be aware that you will lose or limit the participation of some sellers like myself.  One of the things that is nice about outlets like Bricklink and Amazon is that I don't have to spend the time to take pictures of all of the sets that I have for sale and upload them to a listing. 

Well it's a risk we may have to take.  I am not going to hide the fact that we will be trying to do a few different things here and there.  My goal was to never just go out and duplicate these other sites.  There will be things you like and don't.  The beauty is, we are allowed to make changes.  But also, over time, maybe if you like what's going on here and things are working out, perhaps you will find a way to change the way you do things.   

It's like that commercial where the guy doesn't invest in Twitter because he says.. "who is going to use something with 140 characters".  I bet a lot of people thought that was a bad idea.  Will this be the next Twitter?  Not exactly, but it will be a product that will show people what they are getting when they hit that purchase button.

• Like 6

Well it's a risk we may have to take.  I am not going to hide the fact that we will be trying to do a few different things here and there.  My goal was to never just go out and duplicate these other sites.  There will be things you like and don't.  The beauty is, we are allowed to make changes.  But also, over time, maybe if you like what's going on here and things are working out, perhaps you will find a way to change the way you do things.   

It's like that commercial where the guy doesn't invest in Twitter because he says.. "who is going to use something with 140 characters".  I bet a lot of people thought that was a bad idea.  Will this be the next Twitter?  Not exactly, but it will be a product that will show people what they are getting when they hit that purchase button.

Don't be swayed by a some people who theaten that you will lose them.  If you worry about every person that says that, you will never release the product you are happy with.  As of now Pacific has 4 shops that work fine for people that don't want to spend 2 minutes taking a photo.  If they want to spend 10-15% on commission to show stock photos on Amazon on eBay great.  They can use the other sites as well.

• Like 1

I'm sure Jeff could incorporate some sort of generic image option, but you will still have to have one actual picture of the item being sold to show buyers.  From what I've been reading, it would appear eBay is changing their tune on this topic(making members take use a real photo) and if they do, others will follow as well.  It is the simplest way I know to stop fraud, especially to start the site.

Jeff and I have discussed making real photo requirements for sellers with high feedback/experience less of a priority, but that will happen with time and multiple positive sales.  I know as a buyer, I want to see the object I am buying.  

Don't be swayed by a some people who theaten that you will lose them.  If you worry about every person that says that, you will never release the product you are happy with.  As of now Pacific has 4 shops that work fine for people that don't want to spend 2 minutes taking a photo.  If they want to spend 10-15% on commission to show stock photos on Amazon on eBay great.  They can use the other sites as well.

Believe me, I don't think that losing me as a potential seller is any type of "threat" that would cause anyone to change course on developing a marketplace.  I am hardly a marketmaker.  My point was that the easier that you make it to list products for sale, the more likely you are to get more people listing more products for sale.  I understand the flip side that Jeff mentioned about wanting to engender trust in buyers by requiring sellers to post a picture of the actual item that they're selling each time so that the buyer knows what they're getting.  However, the additional transaction costs of this policy will make it less likely for some sellers to utilize the service.  And, although it may only take 2 minutes to take a photo of a set, when you multiply that 2 minutes by several thousand sets, you may get a sense of why this would be a disincentive to someone like myself.

Believe me, I don't think that losing me as a potential seller is any type of "threat" that would cause anyone to change course on developing a marketplace.  I am hardly a marketmaker.  My point was that the easier that you make it to list products for sale, the more likely you are to get more people listing more products for sale.  I understand the flip side that Jeff mentioned about wanting to engender trust in buyers by requiring sellers to post a picture of the actual item that they're selling each time so that the buyer knows what they're getting.  However, the additional transaction costs of this policy will make it less likely for some sellers to utilize the service.  And, although it may only take 2 minutes to take a photo of a set, when you multiply that 2 minutes by several thousand sets, you may get a sense of why this would be a disincentive to someone like myself.

Actual photos are certainly preferable to stock photos.

They will convey a sense of being more professional, which is especially important when you are trying to build buyer trust with a new purchasing site.

Also, listings with actual photos outsell those with stock photos - so it is more than worth the time spent.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

Exceptions can be made when a seller has a certain amount of positive sales.  We already discussed this with Justafrog awhile back.  We are going to have a badge that is called "BrickPicker Approved."  This badge can be used for special sellers and circumstances.  If you are selling hundreds or thousands of sets, then of course Jeff or I can make special pricing or arrangements for any seller who we see worthy of it.  

Basically, a seller would submit all of their eBay, Amazon, Bricklink, Brick Owl information and feedback and we would check it out.  If a seller has perfect feedback on other sales sites, we could stamp them with our seal of approval and the photo option could be overridden.  We figure that if you are a great seller on one or more sites, you will probably be here.  

As KShine stated above though, I believe real photos help sell, but if you are willing tom show us your history from other sites, we will make it work for both parties.  

• Like 1

I am looking to see any of your medium to large sellers out there would be willing to share with me your BrickOwl and BrickLink Set (not parts) exports.    I have templates with some minor garbage that I entered in, but would like to see some meaningful listings to see what can be accomplished with imports.  Just PM them to me or send to [email protected]

Well, they have to balance between being friendly to good sellers, and not encouraging sloppy sellers at the same time (the ones who fail to mention condition of the box, or don't have the item in possession,etc). Don't mean that not taking photos is sloppy - only that having real photos does take the edge off a bit for buyer and discourages to some degree not-so-good sellers

Well, they have to balance between being friendly to good sellers, and not encouraging sloppy sellers at the same time (the ones who fail to mention condition of the box, or don't have the item in possession,etc). Don't mean that not taking photos is sloppy - only that having real photos does take the edge off a bit for buyer and discourages to some degree not-so-good sellers

Right.  We want people to put some effort into their listings.  I'm sure top sellers from other sites will do a top notch job here as well.  I'm confident that in time we can make it work for the person with 2 sets or 2000 sets.  

Right. We want people to put some effort into their listings. I'm sure top sellers from other sites will do a top notch job here as well. I'm confident that in time we can make it work for the person with 2 sets or 2000 sets.

Ok people, if you have either 1, 3 to 1999, or 2001 sets and more this won't be for you.

lol, in all seriousness, once the thing has been running for a couple of weeks I'm sure little things like having the stock photo option to top sellers shouldn't be too hard to add. Plus, you can always start by listing an amount of sets that you feel comfortable taking pictures of, if only to start establishing a presence.

I personally think that requiring real photos showing a picture of the person's inventory is a good thing.

I think relying on ebay and amazon feedback for fast tracking seller status on brickpicker is a good thing.

However, I am very much like NMM says BA is, I use ebay as an inventory system (or sorts, not my real one but my what I want to sell right now one) and I set target appreciation levels and then run sales on some sets at times.  Some may sell in a week, some in a year.  I would hate to have classifieds deactivating for lack of sales.

I think "fair" pricing is very much in the eyes of the beholder.

For instance I paid $400 for the SDCC Azog and I think it was fair.

I have sold a vintage video game (paper, styrofoam insert and a floppy disk) for $2,000  (single game) and I think it was fair.

I've sold a Lego 3367 Shuttle for $67 bucks with free priority mail shipping and it was fair, I made a little not a lot.

I've sold TMNT Poly's for $5.95 shipped and it was fair.

I would second the reactivate button to help us out in posting listings and give some leniency.

I do not know how one can determine what is fair, and when someone buys a Jabba's palace at $87 and someone buys one at $150 both for sale what is fair from the sellers point of view and the buyers?

That being said, I love Brickpicker, and whether the classified is how each of us would want it to be, brickpicker is a wonderful place, and the owners want input and use our input, but they are the ultimate deciders for their policies on how to implement of what is well should I say it "fair".  :)

• Like 1

Yes, this is already setup and ready to go other than adding different classifications.

Basically you first pick New or Used.  Then a new dropdown appears and you select the best classification

New | MISB

New | Damaged Box

New | No minifigs

Used | Missing Parts

Used | Set is a total disaster, watchout :)

I really like the idea of a dropdown menu when you can select the classification of the set, but I was wondering if there were some more used categories. For example:

Used | 100% Complete

Used | Set complete, no minifigures

I think these types of classifications would help for all those members who buy bulk lots and sell the complete/incomplete sets. Just a couple of thoughts.

From a collectors perspective, I am very curious to see what the sellers plan on charging for their items.  A seller orientated site is a good thing but without buyers, I don't see the feature doing well.  I do like to be able to directly communicate with the seller and buying from familiar faces from the site.