General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

Just sold a Lego set on eBay for what is a slightly above average price for a rare set.
Spidey senses tingling. Buyer only has 21 feedback, surprised he didn't use make an offer, and recent activity seems low. 
Paid with PayPal and marked eligible. Any tips for avoiding being punked?
I'm thinking wait at least 48hrs in case it's a hacked account?

Contact the buyer and if legit, they should respond.
  • Thanks 1

Some of you are so paranoid. Just ship it. I make so much off 0 feedback buyers without the slightest issue. Occasionally a buyer simply wants something and gets it. Not everyone is a coupon stacking mega haggling deal hound like us, let alone dishonest!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grynn said:

Some of you are so paranoid. Just ship it. I make so much off 0 feedback buyers without the slightest issue. Occasionally a buyer simply wants something and gets it. Not everyone is a coupon stacking mega haggling deal hound like us, let alone dishonest!

? It's because it's quite a lot (to me!) at £150+ and I'd be a bit gutted if I ended up losing that!

58 minutes ago, Lego Benito said:

Just sold a Lego set on eBay for what is a slightly above average price for a rare set.

Spidey senses tingling. Buyer only has 21 feedback, surprised he didn't use make an offer, and recent activity seems low. 

Paid with PayPal and marked eligible. Any tips for avoiding being punked?

I'm thinking wait at least 48hrs in case it's a hacked account?

Yes, if in doubt then delay the shipping. I have a clause in my terms & conditions to delay shipping if I can't verify the address, the buyer is new, or the purchase was made from a dormant account. Whilst this informs the buyer of my dispatch times, unfortunately it still doesn't stop the scammers buying from me.

However as a seller who lists above the average price, I can confirm it's normal for buyers from all walks of life to buy from you :)  It's amazing how many simply don't sort by price.

• 10 months later...

It looks like I have to get some boxes to fit these stupid Barbies I have to sell.  I assume most go through uline?  I went to look at boxes and prices and was pretty shocked to see it will cost like $25 to ship 25 boxes?  So I am looking at $50 for 25 boxes?  That seems expensive.  Am I missing something?  I would go priority but the Barbies don't fit.  I need something bigger than 16x 11x4.

36 minutes ago, stackables said:

It looks like I have to get some boxes to fit these stupid Barbies I have to sell.  I assume most go through uline?  I went to look at boxes and prices and was pretty shocked to see it will cost like $25 to ship 25 boxes?  So I am looking at $50 for 25 boxes?  That seems expensive.  Am I missing something?  I would go priority but the Barbies don't fit.  I need something bigger than 16x 11x4.

Check the shipping materials thread. Use coupons on eBay, Staples, or another retailer that sells shipping supplies.

And if you're buying odd sizes and not buying in large quantities, expect to pay up to $2/box at retail.

• Like 1

Checking shipping rates to move recent Elves purchase with ShipGooder - I'm showing that a 3lb 24x20x6 package would be charged a whopping $45.99.  It's showing this rate as both the cheapest and fastest rate available.  Shouldn't it be giving me Priority over Express?  Shouldn't this be around $17 if I ship across the country?  Also, does anyone have a more accurate site?

58 minutes ago, mfc90125 said:

How does everyone store their receipts for purchases?  Do you attach them to the box or do something else?  Especially with Target and their DPCI's it makes identifying the item on the receipt a pain.

Thanks.

I scan them.. all.  Then label the file name with date and store name.  In my tracking spreadsheet, I have the same date/name on the record for each item.

11 minutes ago, mfc90125 said:

Checking shipping rates to move recent Elves purchase with ShipGooder - I'm showing that a 3lb 24x20x6 package would be charged a whopping $45.99.  It's showing this rate as both the cheapest and fastest rate available.  Shouldn't it be giving me Priority over Express?  Shouldn't this be around $17 if I ship across the country?  Also, does anyone have a more accurate site?

I just us USPS' calculator, but I only use USPS:

https://postcalc.usps.com/

It's often cheaper than estimated with eBay discounts.

You can also try eBay's calculator, which is easier and includes UPS/Fedex:
https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

In this case, it's the size that has the price jump exponentially. If the 3lb box were 20x16x4, it's closer to $15-17 Priority Mail and triples at 24x20x6. :( However, there should be the option of the slower Parcel Select Ground shipping that might be closer to $15-17.

My question would have to be, what is the actual size and weight of the set? I ask because any set that's less than 3lbs is most likely able to fit into a 16x12x4 or perhaps slightly larger.

26 minutes ago, mfc90125 said:

The dimensions kill you when shipping across the country. You have to get it in the smallest box possible. 

23 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

I just us USPS' calculator, but I only use USPS:

https://postcalc.usps.com/

It's often cheaper than estimated with eBay discounts.

You can also try eBay's calculator, which is easier and includes UPS/Fedex:
https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

In this case, it's the size that has the price jump exponentially. If the 3lb box were 20x16x4, it's closer to $15-17 Priority Mail and triples at 24x20x6. :( However, there should be the option of the slower Parcel Select Ground shipping that might be closer to $15-17.

My question would have to be, what is the actual size and weight of the set? I ask because any set that's less than 3lbs is most likely able to fit into a 16x12x4 or perhaps slightly larger.

Thanks for all the feedback - the set is 41138 and it measures 21x11x4.  It weighs about 2lbs without a box.  I generally use a standard set of boxes to keep the cost of investment down; in this case, I'd use 24x20x6.

EDIT: I checked the rate with the link and set it for cross-country - looks like parcel post in this case might be cheaper.  Interesting that ShipGooder didn't show that.  But I guess you need to use multiple methods to check, or just shoot for local pick up.

Edited by mfc90125

9 minutes ago, mfc90125 said:

Thanks for all the feedback - the set is 41138 and it measures 21x11x4.  It weighs about 2lbs without a box.  I generally use a standard set of boxes to keep the cost of investment down; in this case, I'd use 24x20x6.

EDIT: I checked the rate with the link and set it for cross-country - looks like parcel post in this case might be cheaper.  Interesting that ShipGooder didn't show that.  But I guess you need to use multiple methods to check, or just shoot for local pick up.

Yeah, I fought but ultimately caved in buying various sizes of boxes after realizing the extra costs in shipping. 24x12x4 are among the stacks for that size. ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mfc90125 said:

24x16x4 (this is a great size for “large” set boxes and also those that are long and more narrow). Ship via Priority for $0.01 more than Parcel Select under current rules, IIRC. This size stays under dim weight for USPS.

Edited by minicoopers11

So my attempt to not pay for boxes.  I combined two large priority boxes to form a 12 x 12 x17 box.  Basically stacking one on the other and would tape around the box.  Shipping via priority to CA is $48.  I am in Michigan.  Parcel ground is only $15.  Obviously, since I am using priority boxes I can't ship ground. Anyone have an idea on the huge discrepancy?  I am only selling 5 items (barbies) so I don't think getting 25 boxes and dropping $50+ from Uline would be profitable.

1 minute ago, stackables said:

So my attempt to not pay for boxes.  I combined two large priority boxes to form a 12 x 12 x17 box.  Basically stacking one on the other and would tape around the box.  Shipping via priority to CA is $48.  I am in Michigan.  Parcel ground is only $15.  Obviously, since I am using priority boxes I can't ship ground. Anyone have an idea on the huge discrepancy?  I am only selling 5 items (barbies) so I don't think getting 25 boxes and dropping $50+ from Uline would be profitable.

Dim weight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

24x16x4 (this is a great size for “large” set boxes and also those that are long and more narrow). Ship via Priority for $0.01 more than Parcel Select under current rules, IIRC. This size stays under dim weight for USPS.

Thanks for this insight. Anyone have suggestions to purchase the boxes?  I know the original post here showed links to a box supplier, but I was wondering if anyone has found a good deal?  ULine is really expensive and you really should wait until they have a sale.  

10 hours ago, mfc90125 said:

Thanks for this insight. Anyone have suggestions to purchase the boxes?  I know the original post here showed links to a box supplier, but I was wondering if anyone has found a good deal?  ULine is really expensive and you really should wait until they have a sale.  

Get on Staples email list and they send out coupons for discounts on shipping supplies pretty frequently.  You can have them shipped to a local store and pick them up to save on shipping.

I have found Uline boxes to be of superior quality, their shipping costs are high but if you have a branch near you they can be picked up.  I will generally pay more for convenience but everyone is different.

• Like 1

I think the Staples 24x18xX boxes are outstanding. Got a bunch some time last year on sale for 1.xx each - adjustable height means you won't get hammered with dimensional upcharges when shipping single sets, and the extra flap overlap adds more protection than a box sized to fit more precisely.

1 hour ago, Grynn said:

I think the Staples 24x18xX boxes are outstanding. Got a bunch some time last year on sale for 1.xx each - adjustable height means you won't get hammered with dimensional upcharges when shipping single sets, and the extra flap overlap adds more protection than a box sized to fit more precisely.

Was looking on their site and they’re way expensive. Like $4/box. Might be looking at the wrong ones as they don’t show that they can be adjusted.  Do you have a link or sku from the boxes?  Thanks.