General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

6 hours ago, brickshiftmama said:

Get on Staples email list and they send out coupons for discounts on shipping supplies pretty frequently.  You can have them shipped to a local store and pick them up to save on shipping.

I have found Uline boxes to be of superior quality, their shipping costs are high but if you have a branch near you they can be picked up.  I will generally pay more for convenience but everyone is different.

Aaaaaannnnd I think I jinxed myself.

justgot a return request for a Brick Bank that I shipped snugly in a uline box.  Looks like it was used as a doorstop?

• 2 months later...

I wanted to add insurance to a small first class package.  Seems like the prices I was getting in paypal were different from what I searched online.  I added $100 in insurance and paypal wanted to charge $2.80.  Google search says it should be $2.05.  Am I missing something?  That is a big difference.

32 minutes ago, stackables said:

I wanted to add insurance to a small first class package.  Seems like the prices I was getting in paypal were different from what I searched online.  I added $100 in insurance and paypal wanted to charge $2.80.  Google search says it should be $2.05.  Am I missing something?  That is a big difference.

New rates went into effect in January.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

Insurance

Amount for Merchandise Insurance Coverage Desired Fee1
$0.01 - $50.00 $2.20
50.01 - 100.00 2.80
100.01 - 200.00 3.50
200.01 - 300.00 4.60
300.01 - 400.00 5.80
400.01 - 500.00 6.95
500.01 - 600.00 9.35
600.01 - 5,000.00
(maximum liability is $5,000)
$9.35 plus $1.35 per $100.00 or fraction thereof over $600 in declared value
Additional Insurance Services Fee
Insurance Restricted Delivery2 $5.20
  1. Bulk Insurance discount $0.80 per piece.
  2. For articles insured for more than $500.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mizeur said:

New rates went into effect in January.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

Insurance

Amount for Merchandise Insurance Coverage Desired Fee1
$0.01 - $50.00 $2.20
50.01 - 100.00 2.80
100.01 - 200.00 3.50
200.01 - 300.00 4.60
300.01 - 400.00 5.80
400.01 - 500.00 6.95
500.01 - 600.00 9.35
600.01 - 5,000.00
(maximum liability is $5,000)
$9.35 plus $1.35 per $100.00 or fraction thereof over $600 in declared value
Additional Insurance Services Fee
Insurance Restricted Delivery2 $5.20
  1. Bulk Insurance discount $0.80 per piece.
  2. For articles insured for more than $500.

what is the hassle rate of collecting on USPS insurance?

for example:

package lost: just show receipt, fill out a form, and wait a couple weeks (or couple months) for a check?

package delivered damaged: show picture of damage as evidence, fill out a form, wait a couple weeks  (or couple of months) for a check?

package delayed and buyer no longer wants it: SOT?

how can the market value of an item be documented?

Anyone ever have USPS tell Paypal that you underpaid on shipping?  I sent a package that was small pieces so 4 oz, probably 1 oz total, and they are claiming it was 12 oz. wtf is that?  

It's only $3 more but still, whomever put their hand on the scale is trying to rob people.  I am hoping a quick trip to my local PO will solve the issue as they see me everyday and, I would think, know that my weighing is superb.  Just a dumb thing to have to deal with especially when the weights are so vastly different.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Anyone ever have USPS tell Paypal that you underpaid on shipping?  I sent a package that was small pieces so 4 oz, probably 1 oz total, and they are claiming it was 12 oz. wtf is that?  

It's only $3 more but still, whomever put their hand on the scale is trying to rob people.  I am hoping a quick trip to my local PO will solve the issue as they see me everyday and, I would think, know that my weighing is superb.  Just a dumb thing to have to deal with especially when the weights are so vastly different.

It happens. Part of the new adjustments program they started about a year ago.  I called on the very first one.  Wasted about 15 min and never heard back from them.   Probably got about a dozen over the year.  More in my favor then not so basically a wash and would just move on.  They are usually never even close so just assume another package is partially on the scale whenever they read them.  Their systems are not as sophisticated as UPS at this point.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

It happens. Part of the new adjustments program they started about a year ago.  I called on the very first one.  Wasted about 15 min and never heard back from them.   Probably got about a dozen over the year.  More in my favor then not so basically a wash and would just move on.  They are usually never even close so just assume another package is partially on the scale whenever they read them.  Their systems are not as sophisticated as UPS at this point.  

I paid it as USPS was unable to do anything after talking to way to many people.  They even have a picture of the package but "not enough" of it to determine the weight.  

So....... after paying it so I can ship more items still, I opened up a claim with paypal saying that USPS is bull-****-ting this weight discrepancy.  I don't expect anything out of it, but it doesn't hurt to try.  In the end, small dollars, but how about they not deliver the item if there is such an issue, then they would see there is no issue to begin with.

Edit: the kicker for this is that this purchase was because another BL member F'd up their order and I had to ship to their customer.  I hope that customer reads the label and sees who can actually provide a full order.

Edited by LegoMan1212

37 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

I paid it as USPS was unable to do anything after talking to way to many people.  They even have a picture of the package but "not enough" of it to determine the weight.  

So....... after paying it so I can ship more items still, I opened up a claim with paypal saying that USPS is bull-****-ting this weight discrepancy.  I don't expect anything out of it, but it doesn't hurt to try.  In the end, small dollars, but how about they not deliver the item if there is such an issue, then they would see there is no issue to begin with.

Edit: the kicker for this is that this purchase was because another BL member F'd up their order and I had to ship to their customer.  I hope that customer reads the label and sees who can actually provide a full order.

its supposed to just auto deduct if you paid through ebay or with paypal and they just send you an email with the updates.

I was concerned when it started it would get out of hand but will go a few months and then get one email and then another few months etc.  One had 3 corrections as my highest.  2 were in my favor and 1 wasn't on that one.  Probably close to a wash overall.  

Was designed so they wouldn't charge the customer on the receiving end like they used to and just bill the shipper kind of like UPS / Fedex correct on your bill but they obviously don't have the technology down.  UPS is scary good with the laser doing all the sizes and its always dead on.  

11 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

12 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

what is the hassle rate of collecting on USPS insurance?

for example:

package lost: just show receipt, fill out a form, and wait a couple weeks (or couple months) for a check?

package delivered damaged: show picture of damage as evidence, fill out a form, wait a couple weeks  (or couple of months) for a check?

package delayed and buyer no longer wants it: SOT?

how can the market value of an item be documented?

The USPS website has answers to your questions.

e.g. USPS isn't covering market value. They're either reimbursing what you paid at retail, verifies by receipt, or were paid at resale, verified by invoice or transaction record. blockquote widget

Edited by mizeur

19 minutes ago, mizeur said:

The USPS website has answers to your questions.

e.g. USPS isn't covering market value. They're either reimbursing what you paid at retail, verifies by receipt, or were paid at resale, verified by invoice or transaction record. blockquote widget

Yes, but . . . on the handful of occasions I've had issue with damaged packages using Priority and was without a receipt for the item, I've used screen shots of item in my cart from Amazon without issue. Adding a big caveat that all my claims have been below the $50 threshold for the included insurance. I'm sure for a more expensive item they will want actual transaction records as noted above.  

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Anyone have tips on the best way to mail an empty modular set box?

It's collapsed.

thanks in advance

You won't be able to ship it First Class as the dimensions will be greater than 18x22.

So, you will either need to ship it flat, sandwiched in between two pieces of cardboard (I would do it twice for added support), or once, and then placed inside a larger box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

sounds expensive....thanks for the info

I sold a used BrickBank and in my ad I noted that the box was available for extra shipping costs.  I figured I could ship the set in a large flat rate box and then mail the Set box separately....looks like I should consider shipping the set and box altogether.

Just use a roughly 18x24x6 box and ship with the box back in it's normal shape as it would be in a retail setting.  Should all fit and cost around $20 depending on where it's going.  Flat rate is a ripoff anyway unless you are shipping small,  heavy items.  I never use flat rate and am surprised at how many do, though they are generally pushing the cost onto the buyer which sucks when you're on that end and know better.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Just use a roughly 18x24x6 box and ship with the box back in it's normal shape as it would be in a retail setting.  Should all fit and cost around $20 depending on where it's going.  Flat rate is a ripoff anyway unless you are shipping small,  heavy items.  I never use flat rate and am surprised at how many do, though they are generally pushing the cost onto the buyer which sucks when you're on that end and know better.  

I use Flat Rate Padded Envelope more often than the boxes, but only if there is enough room for me to put in an extra bubble mailer for extra protection as the padded ones that USPS provides do not carry much protection. 

But like you, I hate when I receive a Flat Rate Box as I know darn well it is cheaper to send by postal weight in many of the situations.  

12 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

It all depends on the distance between the buyer and seller. Mailing from coast to coast, 2 pounds is a $0.15 difference between normal priority and medium flat rate. Once you eclipse 3 pounds, you are always better to go medium flat rate. 4 pounds is the tipping point for large flat rate.

Regional Rate A is always a good option though when you can make it fit. I've rarely received Regional Rate boxes in the mail, which surprises me due to their versatility and cost benefits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

It all depends on the distance between the buyer and seller. Mailing from coast to coast, 2 pounds is a $0.15 difference between normal priority and medium flat rate. Once you eclipse 3 pounds, you are always better to go medium flat rate. 4 pounds is the tipping point for large flat rate.

Regional Rate A is always a good option though when you can make it fit. I've rarely received Regional Rate boxes in the mail, which surprises me due to their versatility and cost benefits.

Yes, in theory, but 3 pounds of Lego is generally not fitting in one of those medium boxes.  The idea of the box is not bad, but in our application(Lego) it is generally not feasible.  Me living in the middle of the US, I'm not subjected to coast to coast shipping as others are.  

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Yes, in theory, but 3 pounds of Lego is generally not fitting in one of those medium boxes.  The idea of the box is not bad, but in our application(Lego) it is generally not feasible.  Me living in the middle of the US, I'm not subjected to coast to coast shipping as others are.  

All us Midwest Folks, can I hear a H E L L  Y E A H :) 

• Like 3

to close the loop on this (in case it might help others); shipping the set only would have been around $20 (CA to SD); accounting for the original box and all the extra size and weight (7 lbs total) the cost is about $8 more (Priority mail...I also happened to check FedExground which would have been $30 altogether).  So I let the buyer know...it's a serious hassle doing this after payment (can't reverse it for a new invoice since the ebay coupon may not work).

Thanks to the folks that provided input

That is why I very rarely offer free shipping, and only for very small light weight items. I hate shipping from Virginia to anywhere west coast, wish I could block buyers from those states in Ebay haha... Just too expensive...

It cost me $33 to ship a 75144 via USPS ground to Oregon... ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

32 minutes ago, waddamon said:

Shipping costs are out of control.  My 2019 gross return is 182%, my net after fees and shipping is 121%, that is stupid.

stupid unecessarily large Lego boxes...stupid consumers who feel they need a bigger box to justify bigger costs...and stupid Lego marketing for caving into such mindless logic...about half of the large Lego set boxes is air for crying out loud...the "need" for large shelf displays...it's just sick

• Like 1

It seems like the FedEx shipping discount is non-existent when shipping through Ebay. There were times and places that made sense to use them over USPS before the 1st of the year. Now, it's almost universally cheaper for me to use USPS everywhere, even after their rate hike. Maybe it's just me???

It seems like the FedEx shipping discount is non-existent when shipping through Ebay. There were times and places that made sense to use them over USPS before the 1st of the year. Now, it's almost universally cheaper for me to use USPS everywhere, even after their rate hike. Maybe it's just me???
Not just you... the one and only time FedEx has been cheaper for me was when I shipped my USS Flagg to a buyer in FL. That was still around like $200 to ship though. Actually, thinking back on that, the box dimensions were too large for USPS so they weren't even a option.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app