General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

When they do a pick up I assume they do some type of scan as of you have one package too many they send you an email stating the postage was over.

?

When you do a pickup, you have prepaid postage labels on all packages. I don't know what they'd do if one was without a label - presumably if they knew it came from your batch, they'd bring/send it back to you so you could put a label on it.

If you mean they send an email saying you had more packages (with paid postage) than were on the scan form, I don't know - we've never given them a batch, over the counter or by pickup, that didn't match the scan form.

Of the past 20 pickups, I've had 19 emails stating there was a discrepancy between the number of packages actually picked up and the number of packages requested to be picked up. That should have only been the case for 2-3 of those pickups. I think they may just need to enter the number of packages picked up when fulfilling the request and they may just always enter "one" to save time.

Edit: I've never used the scan form. So that may contribute to this.

Edited by minicoopers11

When they do a pick up I assume they do some type of scan as of you have one package too many they send you an email stating the postage was over.

I've accidentally scheduled a pickup for 0 packages, I meant to enter 1.  They sent me an email saying "hey we have a discrepancy".  The weird thing is it let me list the weight of the pickup.

The online schedule a pickup is just used as a reference for them to pick up. They just use the info to know if a regular route truck can handle the pickup. When i did use it before they just started picking up daily i would just put the estimate. If it was a high number they would call to make sure the standard truck would come. The email later on is just a confirmation they picked up. The number not matching is not an issue. Some drivers will just scan 1 at time of pickup to prove they picked up and then the rest are scanned when they get back to the hub. That would send the email with a different number. Once they came a few times then they just said they would stop by daily. Only issue with that is if you're residential and the normal driver is off they may not know to pickup.

Great thread. Thanks for all the wisdom on here. 

I have two questions: first, I had an international buyer try to purchase one of my items though don't ship internationally. I contacted the buyer, but have not received any response. I tried to cancel the order because of the address and now it says something like Ebay is waiting for the buyer to confirm that he/she has received a refund, but they never paid. What do I do at this point? Second, I did into know I was supposed to click on residential when shipping with FedEx, but they I am not seeing extra fees added onto my shipping when the packages arrive. What am I missing?

Great thread. Thanks for all the wisdom on here. 

I have two questions: first, I had an international buyer try to purchase one of my items though don't ship internationally. I contacted the buyer, but have not received any response. I tried to cancel the order because of the address and now it says something like Ebay is waiting for the buyer to confirm that he/she has received a refund, but they never paid. What do I do at this point? Second, I did into know I was supposed to click on residential when shipping with FedEx, but they I am not seeing extra fees added onto my shipping when the packages arrive. What am I missing?

Not sure about fedex, but as far as international shipping...***.S.P.

• 3 weeks later...

An unpleasant experience just came up. I sold a Ewok Village without minigigures about a month ago on eBay to a Japanese buyer, who appeared to not understand/use English much. He claimed that the item is not brand new sealed (which was never mentioned in the listing) and wanted to return. My listing said 'No Minifigures' all over the place and even said some bags are opened. I don't know mind accepting a return as long as I don't have to pay the international shipping. Any one has any experience with how eBay handling international returns?

An unpleasant experience just came up. I sold a Ewok Village without minigigures about a month ago on eBay to a Japanese buyer, who appeared to not understand/use English much. He claimed that the item is not brand new sealed (which was never mentioned in the listing) and wanted to return. My listing said 'No Minifigures' all over the place and even said some bags are opened. I don't know mind accepting a return as long as I don't have to pay the international shipping. Any one has any experience with how eBay handling international returns?

As I understand it (and I haven't had to deal with a GSP return, so this is not first hand experience), whatever your return terms were when you set up the listing are what eBay will expect you to do.

With a SNAD claim, even if you have "no returns" set, they'll make you accept a return or refund without a return, and you will probably be required to pay postage.

eBay's GSP center does check and take responsibility for "basic" condition/accuracy of an order, but they don't do in depth - if you send a set without minifigs or a blue vase instead of a green one, they won't back you on that.

For something of this price it's probably worth calling CS, ask for a GSP person, and see what they can do for you. My guess is you're going to be taking this back on your postage dime, or refunding without a return.

General advice: don't sell anything as complicated as a partial set overseas in future. I haven't had any problem with selling individual minifigs, but it's more obvious with those that that's all you're getting, I think.

• Like 1

As I understand it (and I haven't had to deal with a GSP return, so this is not first hand experience), whatever your return terms were when you set up the listing are what eBay will expect you to do.

With a SNAD claim, even if you have "no returns" set, they'll make you accept a return or refund without a return, and you will probably be required to pay postage.

eBay's GSP center does check and take responsibility for "basic" condition/accuracy of an order, but they don't do in depth - if you send a set without minifigs or a blue vase instead of a green one, they won't back you on that.

For something of this price it's probably worth calling CS, ask for a GSP person, and see what they can do for you. My guess is you're going to be taking this back on your postage dime, or refunding without a return.

General advice: don't sell anything as complicated as a partial set overseas in future. I haven't had any problem with selling individual minifigs, but it's more obvious with those that that's all you're getting, I think.

Thanks, frog. Your advice is always what I count on. :)

I do have 'no return' on the page but I also believe it's BS to eBay given how they treated sellers. 

Meanwhile, I called the CS. The lady agreed I already made my listing clear (both in title/content). After some talks, she suggested me to dispute the return request. My guess is this buyer is more likely having buyer's remorse due to his own uncareful purchasing and blaming it on me. Gladly I did take pictures of this package. Will update what happens next...

• Like 1

I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of this Mega Bloks UNSC Mammoth.  I sold it before Christmas, shipped the same day, and then the buyer contacts me in the evening and says her husband bought the same thing and needs to return the one they purchased from me.  I got the return out of the way and all that jazz.

I resold it last week.  The new buyer contacted me tonight and said they just realized I shipped it to their old address, because PayPal wasn't updated.  He said he updated PayPal and would like me to reship it to the other address.  Believe it or not, this might be the first time this has happened to me, at least for a long time.

Should I contact EBay to try to force them to pay for shipping this time?  I told him sorry to hear that and asked if he had mail forwarding turned on for the old address.  I told him I'd contact EBay to see how to handle it.  Any experience like this from you all?

I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of this Mega Bloks UNSC Mammoth.  I sold it before Christmas, shipped the same day, and then the buyer contacts me in the evening and says her husband bought the same thing and needs to return the one they purchased from me.  I got the return out of the way and all that jazz.

I resold it last week.  The new buyer contacted me tonight and said they just realized I shipped it to their old address, because PayPal wasn't updated.  He said he updated PayPal and would like me to reship it to the other address.  Believe it or not, this might be the first time this has happened to me, at least for a long time.

Should I contact EBay to try to force them to pay for shipping this time?  I told him sorry to hear that and asked if he had mail forwarding turned on for the old address.  I told him I'd contact EBay to see how to handle it.  Any experience like this from you all?

Happens a few times a month and is annoying as heck.  Personally I usually just tell them when it gets back to me I can reship it to the new address provided they pay the shipping.  If not when we receive it back it will be refunded.

More times than not they pay the postage.  

Had one guy that filed a case through ebay and even though he admitted in the case he had the wrong address listed ebay called us and asked to "continue" to work with them even though they were in the wrong.

Haven't got a bad feedback out of it doing it that way even on the ones I refunded instead of reshipped, but in the end all they care about is customer service right now so sometimes its worth just eating and reshipping (I have done that on a few occasions as well if they were nice about it)

Happens a few times a month and is annoying as heck.  Personally I usually just tell them when it gets back to me I can reship it to the new address provided they pay the shipping.  If not when we receive it back it will be refunded.

More times than not they pay the postage.  

Had one guy that filed a case through ebay and even though he admitted in the case he had the wrong address listed ebay called us and asked to "continue" to work with them even though they were in the wrong.

Haven't got a bad feedback out of it doing it that way even on the ones I refunded instead of reshipped, but in the end all they care about is customer service right now so sometimes its worth just eating and reshipping (I have done that on a few occasions as well if they were nice about it)

Thanks, I'll see what this guy wants to do.  I'm going to give it until Sunday and see if he replies.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the best place to post. Sold a Town Hall. USPS destroyed it entirely. You willfully have to cause that kind of damage. It actually looks worse than a Walmart slap a label on the side.

Understandably the customer sent it back. Box has two big holes, but seals appear intact. My best course of action is to file a case with USPS, open the box and make sure all the bags are still there and sell that way? Or just sell as damaged?

Not sure if this is the best place to post. Sold a Town Hall. USPS destroyed it entirely. You willfully have to cause that kind of damage. It actually looks worse than a Walmart slap a label on the side.

Understandably the customer sent it back. Box has two big holes, but seals appear intact. My best course of action is to file a case with USPS, open the box and make sure all the bags are still there and sell that way? Or just sell as damaged?

Check that everything is still there as new with open box still sells well.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

I'm probably not the best person to answer. But here is my 2 cents.

I haven't dealt this with USPS so I don't know exactly. But FedEx has ruined my shipments before. I submitted claims and such along with the receipts that I purchased the LEGO sets to prove their value. But they ended up sending me a letter declining my claims without asking any pictures from me. I was busy so I just gave up trying.

I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of this Mega Bloks UNSC Mammoth. I sold it before Christmas, shipped the same day, and then the buyer contacts me in the evening and says her husband bought the same thing and needs to return the one they purchased from me. I got the return out of the way and all that jazz.

I resold it last week. The new buyer contacted me tonight and said they just realized I shipped it to their old address, because PayPal wasn't updated. He said he updated PayPal and would like me to reship it to the other address. Believe it or not, this might be the first time this has happened to me, at least for a long time.

Should I contact EBay to try to force them to pay for shipping this time? I told him sorry to hear that and asked if he had mail forwarding turned on for the old address. I told him I'd contact EBay to see how to handle it. Any experience like this from you all?

This happened to me once or twice. It was a small item first class package so I just ate the second postage charge. It wasn't worth any potential trouble. I do think it's reasonable to ask for them to pay the second shipping charge. It was their fault for not updating their address.

Did you purchase insurance? I haven't dealt with a claim at USPS but I would assume it's about as much fun as smashing your head against a brick wall. I would take redghostx's advice and just sell it open box sealed bags. You won't lose too much especially if you wait a little while for the price to go up. Edited by jbacunn

• 2 weeks later...

This year is the year I finally start moving product, so I know from past experience that smaller items USPS can be a winner at times!

Just sold a smaller GS set and with 2nd shipping (which I accidently choose), it ended up costing $9. I don't mind, since the buyer has great feedback and paid promptly.

Make sure you do your research first and at least provide handling time of half a day, so you can shop for the best shipping price.

You'll be able to explore each shipping vendors sites for "quotes"...

Once are more comfortable and know what you are doing, shipping will be a breeze and you'll be saving $$$

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to combine invoices when someone buys through the GSP? I sold like 9 different polybag auctions tonight to the same buyer in Mexico, but I can't send him a combined invoice on my end. I can only guess that he is getting a separate charge from eBay's end for shipping each one, when of course I would just send these in one box.

Any tips?

Is it possible to combine invoices when someone buys through the GSP? I sold like 9 different polybag auctions tonight to the same buyer in Mexico, but I can't send him a combined invoice on my end. I can only guess that he is getting a separate charge from eBay's end for shipping each one, when of course I would just send these in one box.

Any tips?

No. I don't think so. This happened to me once and the buyer was going to have to pay shipping on each item. It was a ridiculous amount. He ended up not paying and I had to open an unpaid item case.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help with a shipping problem. Buyer bought an item from me and paid for it. Sent me a message afterwords asking for overnight shipping (I offered expedited). Since they have already paid for it, how can they pay the additional cost for overnight shipping? Appreciate the help. 

If you used paypal can't they just send you the money that way?

The problem is that I don't think I can send them another invoice for the additional shipping and then you have to get your Paypal e-mail address to them so they can send you the extra money for the postage and ebay tries very hard to prevent you from sending e-mail addresses inside ebay messages.

Edited by jbacunn