General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

Need some help with a shipping problem. Buyer bought an item from me and paid for it. Sent me a message afterwords asking for overnight shipping (I offered expedited). Since they have already paid for it, how can they pay the additional cost for overnight shipping? Appreciate the help. 

There email address, is given to you in the order details, its there, just look hard enough.

Simply send them a PayPal request for the agreed amount , and reference the sale with that payment.

This way it is all documented if anything arises in the future. This is with-in ebay/pp policy.

• Like 2

What about providing a phone number to exchange paypal email address? Or is that frowned upon?

You can generally call a customer is the phone # is given. But this cannot be used to help defend any shipping, and or fraud complaints. It does help for general questions, about shipping, missing unit #, etc. 

Only messages sent through the E*ay messages, can be used in a case against you.

There email address, is given to you in the order details, its there, just look hard enough.

Simply send them a PayPal request for the agreed amount , and reference the sale with that payment.

This way it is all documented if anything arises in the future. This is with-in ebay/pp policy.

Very good. Thanks.

So, I just sold a GE through the global shipping program.  The signature confirmation box was preselected.  Saves me two bucks to uncheck it and since it is going to the GSP warehouse in Kentucky I'm not sure if leaving it there is best or removing it.  What does everyone else do on $300+ sets going to the GSP Kentucky center?

So, I just sold a GE through the global shipping program.  The signature confirmation box was preselected.  Saves me two bucks to uncheck it and since it is going to the GSP warehouse in Kentucky I'm not sure if leaving it there is best or removing it.  What does everyone else do on $300+ sets going to the GSP Kentucky center?

leave it on.  If you don't and its lost for some reason or doesn't show delivered you will be out.  Same rules apply, it just has to get to the KY address.

To much mail has been "undelivered" of late.  Think the excess they are receiving from everyone boycotting UPS / Fedex dimensional is over burdening them.

Seen a ridiculously high amount of items not get there since mid January.  Most of mine were delivered so I won the cases but last week had 2 to the same lady that were not delivered and had to refund. 

• Like 1

So, I just sold a GE through the global shipping program. The signature confirmation box was preselected. Saves me two bucks to uncheck it and since it is going to the GSP warehouse in Kentucky I'm not sure if leaving it there is best or removing it. What does everyone else do on $300+ sets going to the GSP Kentucky center?

Pretty sure they raised that dollar amount for signature to $500 I think. I sold a Robie House for over $300 recently and recall that I was not required to do a signature confirmation.

Anyone seen this before? I sold a set on eBay BIN for over $600 and buyer payed with paypal and I got this email:

Buyer X just sent you money with PayPal. To help protect you, we're reviewing this payment.

The Payment Review may take up to 24 hours. When we've completed the review, we'll either clear or cancel the payment. If the payment clears: You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transaction Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.

You shouldn't ship the item until we let you know that the payment has cleared. We'll send you an email when we complete the review or you can check the Transaction History tab of your PayPal account.

Anyone seen this before? I sold a set on eBay BIN for over $600 and buyer payed with paypal and I got this email:

Buyer X just sent you money with PayPal. To help protect you, we're reviewing this payment.

The Payment Review may take up to 24 hours. When we've completed the review, we'll either clear or cancel the payment. If the payment clears: You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transaction Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.

You shouldn't ship the item until we let you know that the payment has cleared. We'll send you an email when we complete the review or you can check the Transaction History tab of your PayPal account.

Yep.  Paypal noticed something fishy about the payment.  It may or may not be something to worry about.  Just hang on and let Paypal sort this out before mailing the item

• Like 2

yep it should clear by the morning.  9 times out of 10 its a mobile express checkout payment on the app that flags them.  Sometimes just a new user / or mismatched address that they verify.  Just wait like DR said.  Most everyone of them gets cleared , usually by the next morning.

• Like 1

I've got an offer for well over $500 in minifigures from a buyer in China who's account is a little over a year old with less than 100 feedback. There is a lot in that sentence that sets my spidey sense off. Even if I ship priority international is there any way to 100% protect myself? On USPS.com I don't see delivery confirmation or a signature confirmation option to China. Although USPS offers insurance I've never had much faith in them so I use Shipsavers for all international packages. My instincts tell me to not to accept this, but I thought I'd ask fellow brickpickers if there are services or way to ship this that I'm unaware of. Thanks.

I've got an offer for well over $500 in minifigures from a buyer in China who's account is a little over a year old with less than 100 feedback. There is a lot in that sentence that sets my spidey sense off. Even if I ship priority international is there any way to 100% protect myself? On USPS.com I don't see delivery confirmation or a signature confirmation option to China. Although USPS offers insurance I've never had much faith in them so I use Shipsavers for all international packages. My instincts tell me to not to accept this, but I thought I'd ask fellow brickpickers if there are services or way to ship this that I'm unaware of. Thanks.

GSP?

They probably are attempting to contact the customer via phone to verbally acknowledge the transaction. I had that happen on my first larger purchase

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

The only way I ship internationally without the GSP is with USPS Priority Mail Express International or USPS Global Express Guaranteed.

They both included tracking numbers and insurance. There is a padded large envelope option starting at $43.

Not worth it IMO to use the slightly cheaper Priority Mail International (with no tracking/insurance) when the cost difference is $10 or less, especially for a big order.

The only way I would do it otherwise is if the buyer sends you the money in a non-returnable form (PayPal gift/friends/family, Western Union).

Accept it. There is no way to ever 100% protect yourself. You'll be fine with insurance and regular Priority Mail.

So, I noticed today for the first time in a LONG time, I get no discount on my USPS Priority Mail 5# package...

Messing with the box dimensions a bit shows me that a dimensional shipping type surcharge is added above 64" length + girth, despite the limit being 84". Since my estimated box size was very close, I figured out I can make it cost 9.80 with no discount (62") OR 13.37 including a substantial discount (64").

Then out of curiosity I looked at the FedEx option. FedEx used to be better for heavy packages, but guess what? 9.87 for this one at the 62" / 5#.

Furthermore, Fedex only goes up a few bucks to $13 or so at a 20# package weight, same size. USPS?  $20 including approx 50% discount.

Seriously?  Did I miss the memo that USPS decided not to enjoy all that free business that FedEx and USPS gave them recently?  What gives?

So I've been getting some really good deals on some sets and the bidders on eBay are eating them up...but, I feel like I lose dang near all my profit from shipping. Costs are outrageous and I can never seem to get it right when trying to plan. Anybody have advice? I'm new to all this so any help is greatly appreciated! :)

The buyers are eating them up because you're the cheapest. Other sellers won't match your pricing because they know there isn't much profit to be made at your price. Do as suggested above. You have to build your shipping and fees into the price.

Side story that is related: Every once in a while on eBay or Amazon I'll see a new seller come in and undercut everyone at what I consider unsustainable pricing. Experienced sellers will hold or even raise their prices until the new seller sells out. Then business resumes as normal. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be the lowest. :)

• Like 1

So I've been getting some really good deals on some sets and the bidders on eBay are eating them up...but, I feel like I lose dang near all my profit from shipping. Costs are outrageous and I can never seem to get it right when trying to plan. Anybody have advice? I'm new to all this so any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Little more info required:

Assumptions: 

1.  You have a scale and a tape measure and have weighed what you are selling and the size of the box required and entered that into the shipping cost estimator and building cost into your price assuming you are doing free shipping before doing your ebay listing, right?

2.  You are using your own scale and paying shipping through ebay and printing up your own labels with postage purchased online, correct?

If you aren't doing either one of these, you are losing money from the get-go.  

Curious what sets and what price

To go along with advice here: USPS has tons of free shipping items, mostly online. If you know what sizes you are selling you may never need to pay for another box.

Buy your other shipping materials online and in bulk. You can save 50-90% off even WM prices

Priority shipping *** gets expensive in a hurry for big sets. Especially if across zones

If you don't have a policy for hawaii, Alaska and Puerto rico, make one now. I was clearing $20-$25 per quick flip until some chick bought one from hawaii. I now require buyers to add $5-$10 to ship there

Best advice is for all new people to try their hand at selling to learn tips and tricks, and do lots of reading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by justapilgrim
  • Like 1

Alaska/Hawaii shipping is outrageous for large items.  I learned this the hard way, when I sold a Guitar to Alaska.  The shipping via UPS was $170, compared to $27 for CONUS.  Ever since this, I add a very high charge for Alaska/Hawaii shipping, usually about $200 for a large, exclusive set.  I'm not going to get burned again.  

Edited by diablo2112