10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

I've actually always asked myself how one can - exactly - buy something "accidentally". Maybe you could ask her how she did it. Knowing this could help me understand those "accidental" buyers on my ebay auctions better. Thx

She just saw the auction and thought the price looked decent compared to other listings and entered the bid thinking she wouldn't win. Just impulsive.

She is an eBay buyer who sees a low price on an auction and gets invested in it. When she gets outbid, she thinks, "well just $5 more isn't a big deal" and doesn't adhere to a set ceiling to what she's willing to pay. She enjoys the chase of an auction. She's a seller's dream buyer.

My wife accidentally bought one for $350 plus shipping on ebay. I have know idea how she accidentally bid on this.

Now I'm stuck with it. How much is this expected to appreciate around halloween? I'd like to at least break even after fees for this "accident."

Why not hold it until next Halloween and make a decent profit? Prices aren't going to go down, and I don't think the set has come close to hitting a plateau. Like Darn buying a bunch of TH, I don't think investors buying in the low to mid $300 range is all that crazy. Could easily be selling for $600-800 or more in another 12-24 months.

• Like 1

She just saw the auction and thought the price looked decent compared to other listings and entered the bid thinking she wouldn't win. Just impulsive.

She is an eBay buyer who sees a low price on an auction and gets invested in it. When she gets outbid, she thinks, "well just $5 more isn't a big deal" and doesn't adhere to a set ceiling to what she's willing to pay. She enjoys the chase of an auction. She's a seller's dream buyer.

This is why auctions for popular items often go above BIN prices. Not to mention the idea you just might get a "deal" because the final price is unknown. 

From NPR yesterday, a fascinating listen/read for anyone in business (or education, or life in general):

How Do You Get People To Work Harder? Keep The Reward A Secret
  • Like 1

Maybe we can use this information?

Let's say... we put up an ad on ebay where people can bid on Lone Ranger lego sets with a black sheet over it. All the information they get is there are either 2 or 4 Lone Ranger sets underneath the sheet. Have fun with the bidding people! 

• Like 1

Can't do it, because it's too much like a lottery. From ebay's policies:

Examples of listings that are not allowed:

• A listing with the title, "Mystery cash $$all cash$$ only 20 envelopes."

• "I am offering you the chance to win a brand new, in box, Xbox 360."

• A listing with the title, "Raffle Tickets for a $300 GAS CARD

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice. I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this. If not, I apologize.

Someone would like to trade his 10225 R2D2 for my 10228 Haunted House. I know that currently the HH is priced higher than R2 but with the upcoming SW film R2 might overtake HH. On the other hand, HH might also surge because of the upcoming Scooby Doo sets and CMS zombies w/c complement the set.

These are for investment purposes. I currently have 4 HH and 0 R2 if that matters.

Edited by znjndmawn

Need some advice. I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this. If not, I apologize.

Someone would like to trade his 10225 R2D2 for my 10228 Haunted House. I know that currently the HH is priced higher than R2 but with the upcoming SW film R2 might overtake HH. On the other hand, HH might also surge because of the upcoming Scooby Doo sets and CMS zombies w/c complement the set.

These are for investment purposes. I currently have 4 HH and 0 R2 if that matters.

Do not get rid of your HH!!

• Like 4

Trade and ask for the difference in value (based on BL or BP or ebay or some other way agreed upon you both) as cash added or via other sets. I do not recommend just trading 1-1. 

Or sell a HH and use part of the money to buy an R2. 

Or do nothing. 

It seems that there is a significant difference between HH and R2 in eBay and Bricklink. I initially just checked Amazon where the difference was only $20.

It does make sense not to do a straight swap as you mentioned since we should base it on the set's current value and not perceived future value.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know what else to say, but from personal experience, this bad boy is a movin' and a shakin'.

Lots of gawkers, watchers, and inquiries about stock levels and possible sales for multiples. Either the foreign market has caught on and the big boys are selling beyond their stock levels, or some resellers still want these in their stores, even at $400+.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...