10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

So what i dont get with this set (and quite a few others actually) is how hard it is to get a "used" one.  Just would have thought there must be some stock out there from people who have built this but now want to move onto something else so willing to sell their old one.

Just seems pretty sparse.  Basically i just want one of these for the personal collection and if i could get a used one there'd be no second guessing myself about whether to break the seal or not :)

why would you want to part with this set after your built it? It's a great set, great display and fun build. Unless it's just money driven I guess

why would you want to part with this set after your built it? It's a great set, great display and fun build. Unless it's just money driven I guess

Yep...it IS money driven!  For me though, I sell some of my used sets after I build them because I don't have space to display them all, or just get kind of "bored" with them.  Certain sets that doesn't happen to, though.  This being one.  Another is Bag End.  But, for example, I sold my Vampyre Castle and Family House used not long ago.  Those were cool sets, but it was time to replace them with something else.

I stll have all mine sealed, but will definitely be opening one soon as I promised my daughter we'd do that, and frankly I just want to build it.  My biggest regret with this set was ordering two from Wal-Mart at the same time thinking they'd send them in the LEGO case---no, they attached shipping labels to the boxes so I returned them out of anger b/c they were creased and dented.  Anyways, foolish on my part. You win Wal-Mart, you win.

I build one, will never give, its amazing looking. I keep another 3 for the next 2 years, in my opinion this will be a best seller in the future. I miss MF, i will not do the same mistake even if i will eat all my stock

Just put red led inside each floor and u will understand why nobody gives 

Well, that looks like Evel Knievel stuff on the top shelf.  I'd recognize that funny car from anywhere and then I saw the logo.  A++++++++

was big into EK about 10 years ago or so.  Most of its put away in boxes,  like the legos.   My best piece is the first edition stunt cycle that Evil gave his oldest son before they hit store shelves, directly from Ideal.  I was MISB when i got it but cracked open for display.  Glad there's more EK fans out there! 

20150118_105123.jpg

20150814_075931.jpg

• Like 1

was big into EK about 10 years ago or so.  Most of its put away in boxes,  like the legos.   My best piece is the first edition stunt cycle that Evil gave his oldest son before they hit store shelves, directly from Ideal.  I was MISB when i got it but cracked open for display.  Glad there's more EK fans out there! 

Those are great!  I still have my funny car, motorcycle, sky cycle, and a few figures.  I loved that stuff when I was a kid and they are very played with.  I do have an Ideal re-release kit with the drag car and motorcycle, unopened.  I wish there was a way to get some Team America motorcycles for my son.  Those were my favorite toy growing up, well, besides Star Wars.

Carry the torch! I hope they bring them back.

https://satelliteshow.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/teamamerica320x294set.jpg?w=640

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

Thats cool, we're about the same age then.  My Mom sold ALL my toys in a garage sale when I moved with my Dad at the age of 8, so I spent a great deal of time in my late 30's buying it all back. LOL.  I kinda went overboard though.  I did like you and bought that re-issue EK set.  I also have all the MISB Team America Sets, red, white, blue and the black Marauder, along with the MOC figures.  LOL, yeah, I went a little crazy back then.  Got lots and lots of EK sets too, these are just the ones I have opened.  Got tons of Stompers MOC, TTP MIB, Hotwheels/Matchbox, Slot Cars etc, etc.  Even if I sold for a portion of what I paid, I bet I'd have over 100K packed away.  It was just a hobbie there for a while, now its kind of a burden.  I'm partial to some things and will never get rid of them,  but not really a reseller.  I've probably spent over 30K MSRP on lego items in 4 years.  LOL they take up a lot of space!  They are fun collecting though.  I went to a garage sale about 5 years ago, there was a fella who had a ton of 80's/90's lego sets, selling them all cheap.  This is before I knew EXACTLY how collectable they were.  Well, I bought only about 8 sets or so, some missing pieces, but I got a sack of pirate and castle minifigs to boot.  So, that kinda jump started me on legos again.

I have been looking for one of these to build, a used copy. To my amazement, in accordance with what has been said previously, this set used is not easy to obtain. It seems to be holding at 100$'s less then NIB price which to me seems rather abnormal. The scarcity of ebay listings also tells me this set may become a big winner.

Which makes me wonder, is it too late to grab a few more? 

I have been looking for one of these to build, a used copy. To my amazement, in accordance with what has been said previously, this set used is not easy to obtain. It seems to be holding at 100$'s less then NIB price which to me seems rather abnormal. The scarcity of ebay listings also tells me this set may become a big winner.

Ship has sailed on this set.  You should look towards investing your money in other sets that are currently available.

• Like 1

We bring our HH out every Halloween. I can't imagine ever selling it. This year ours will get an upgrade with some gargoyles and a banshee and those new light bricks. This thing will be staying with us for generations.

As for grabbing more at current prices that is a tough call to make. I bought sealed Taj's and Grand Carousels for $800 three years ago and do not regret it. Personally I would have no problems paying $450 for these for future investment. Going forward there will be ever increasing selling competition for new sets while ones that are already retired and trending well are no brainers IMO.

• Like 1

Well it may not be too late if you use average cost basis.  I could pick up 10 more and my average cost basis per unit would rise minimally.  One way to look at it.  In terms of net cash flow I agree the ship has sailed and time for the next ship..

All depends on the buy-in. If you can get it a bit below the current value I would surely think about it. This set has already proven to be an investment winner. With the current available sets you will not know for sure. Your analysis is correct. Only few people sell it used. So others who missed this set are almost forced to buy it NISB/MISB. So the odds will always be on your advantage. I also cannot get it out of my head that this set is opened and build alot. Which is very important!

Also do not forget the most important reason... they are not making more of these! 

For my investments (not QFs), my strategy is to aim for at least 50%-100% over my purchase price after fees (i.e., close to "doubling" is ideal). That's how "hard" I'd like my investment dollars to "work." When you look at HH, it's already doubled+ from MSRP. If you buy at $450, you would need to clear $900 to double your investment. It would need to sell for over $1000 to do so on most channels. 

Food for thought. 

Edited by biking_tiger

For my investments (not QFs), my strategy is to aim for at least 50%-100% over my purchase price after fees. That's how "hard" I'd like my investment dollars to "work." When you look at HH, it's already doubled+ from MSRP. If you buy at $450, you would need to clear $900 to double your investment. It would need to sell for over $1000 to do so on most channels. 

Food for thought. 

I believe this set has the 1K potential...

• Like 3